Tabitha - Newly Diagnosed in San Antonio, TX

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sharon&Tabitha (TX), Jan 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sharon&Tabitha (TX)

Sharon&Tabitha (TX) Member

Back in October a friend brought me a 4 or 5 year old cat that no longer had a home and was to be put out on the street. Tabitha is declawed (front paws) and had been living in a single cat (pet) home. At the time I had two adult cats – one adopted and one fostered but they are both mellow cats. I have some social issues with her – it doesn’t take much stimulation (petting) before she bites. I just thought it was due to her being declawed. Tabitha wouldn’t eat at first and I was finally able to get her to eat dried food – Friskies or Meow Mix. She was a “kitty bump” (hiding in the bed covers) in the cat room that I have set up even though they have access to the whole house. Mid December a friend found a one month old kitten so I took her in to foster until she could be adopted. (I working on that right now) Since Tabitha spends her time in the cat room I didn’t realize until the Christmas break that she hadn’t been grooming, lost weight and was grinding her teeth when she ate. I did know that she was a slow eater and drank a lot of water. I took her to the vet on January 5th and then on Friday I got “the call” that she is diabetic. This past week I have been doing research on everything from home testing, giving shots and finding the insulin and testing equipment at a reasonable price. I have started converting Tabitha over to a wet diet - Mixing her dry with Authority (on sale) pate. So far it’s been better than I thought. The vet will be giving her Lantus and I have already purchased the Walmart ReliOn Micro meter…. The question that I have right now, and haven’t asked the vet yet, is since I’ve already started the new food when should we start the insulin and testing?
    This is the first time I have joined a Forum but I am a firm believer in not reinventing the wheel and researching everything I can so I feel like am doing the right thing. Tabitha’s life is important and I’m going to work my hardest on getting her to remission.

2. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Sharon and extra sweet Tabitha! Welcome to the best place you never wanted to be! Is your avatar beautiful Tabitha? How wonderful that you adopted her.

Sounds like you have a good vet that is up to date enough to prescribe a good insulin - Lantus - for her. What was her glucose numbers when the vet tested? Does your vet support home testing? We find that the majority of vets don't but just like human diabetics, testing is critical for their safety!

You've got a good meter - that's the same one I use. It takes the smallest drop of blood which is good for beginning. It may take a bit for her ear to 'learn to bleed' - actually needs to build additional capillaries to the ear making it easier.

To answer your question - changing to a lower carb food can lower the glucose numbers by 100+ points. We suggest you test to see where just a food change takes her numbers. You don't really want to do both a food change AND start insulin at the same time unless you can be around to test often - she may drop quickly.

We have a good starting forum entitled 'Main Health' where you can poke around as well as post all sorts of questions as you run across them.

Again, welcome and BIG HUG!

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
  3. Sharon&Tabitha (TX)

Squeaky & KT,
    Thanks for your reply. My vet does support the home testing and once I pick up the insulin then I will take Tabitha in and they will show me “all that needs to be done – testing and injections. Thank goodness I have plenty of vacation so when the glucose curve is needed I can take off to do that myself to save money. It is also nice that the vet isn’t trying to sell me their food. She texted me a listing of cat food and told me what to look for concerning the carbs.
    The avatar is of Tabitha.

Squeaky and KT (GA) likes this.
  4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Just a note: dental infections can raise the blood glucose considerably. If that is present, getting the teeth cleaned and any infection treated will help the glucose become controlled ... it is very difficult to get control with bad teeth.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  5. Sharon&Tabitha (TX)

BJM - That was the main thing the vet looked at last Monday. I had to warn her about Tabitha's tendency to bite so she may not have done a thorough exam. (The gums and tartar look good for a cat her age.) Once things get settled with home testing and insulin and Tabitha starts to feel better we will double check that. I’ve never had a cat grind their teeth before.

Do you know what the chances of a female cat, about 4 or 5 years old, going into remission?

6. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Hi Sharon and extra sweet kitty Tabitha and welcome to the FDMB. Thanks for the introduction. Not that you have done that,please pop over to the main Feline Health forum where we answer questions.

Thanks.

7. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi Sharon, and welcome to FDMB.
    How wonderful of you to take Tabitha into your home and your heart.
    She is blessed to have you as her caregiver. :)

Eliz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.