Tail has gone limp! Update from vet....

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lee and Tida (GA), Jul 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lee and Tida (GA)

Lee and Tida (GA) Member

My 7-month old civvie, Pocahantas' tail has gone limp. Usually it is straight up in the air...but now it just hangs limp. She wrestles with her sister ALL the time, I'm wondering if it is broken. I held her in my lap and felt all the way up and down her tail. She doesn't act like it hurts. She's still very playful, also.

2 days ago, when we came home, a floor lamp and a pedestool fan were knocked over on the floor....I'm wondering if something fell on her tail. However, I didn't notice her tail being limp then.

Has anyone had any experiences with a limp tail? Is there any other reason a tail would be limp (other than it being broken or hurt)?

I do have an appointment to take her to the vet later on today....just thought I'd ask for any input before I go.

2. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Re: Tail has gone limp!

typically it is a sign of injury but only an examination by the vet would tell you for sure. good luck!

3. Jill and Remi

Jill and Remi Member

No personal experience, but a friend of mine's cat had a ladder fall on her tail. It did have to be amputated. I hope Pocahantas will be okay and it is easily fixed.

4. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

It does sound like a break. Good luck at the vet's office.

5. Lee and Tida (GA)

Lee and Tida (GA) Member

Re: Tail has gone limp! Update from vet...

Back from the vet. Vet took x-rays. It was very swollen between 2 vertebrae (about the 2nd or 3rd one from the base of the tail.) It is a severe sprain. Vet said something could have fallen on it or it could have been done while wrestling. The good news is that she still has some mobility moving it from side to side.

I have to keep her from re-injuring it. Have to keep the kittens separated for at least 2 weeks. She gave her a shot of pain medication. She said the tendons and ligaments need to heal. So I guess all in all it is good news!

Thanks for the well wishes and input.

Lee

6. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Glad to hear that news. I had to immobilize a kitten for 6 weeks in a wire dog crate (with adjustable top I could lower) because of a fractured elbow.

If you don't have a crate, you might post needing one on Craig's List. That's what I did.

7. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

funny you bring this up .. my brother and sister in law recently took in a cat from my cousins house because they didn't want it anymore and were going to toss it on the street. This cat's tail curls right up and lays on her back all the time. It is the weirdest thing. My cousin said it has always been like that (shes about 2) and my brother hasn't taken it to the vet yet because she doesn't seem bothered by it. What he is bothered by is the clear view of everything! :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.