take him to the vet or no?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Snoops mom, Mar 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snoops mom

Snoops mom Member

Sheldon is vomiting up some foam and some greenish/yellow liquid, sometimes with hair mixed in, sometimes not.
    he's never been one to get hairballs, and the amount of hair that's coming up seems small compared to what Nell hacks up when she's got a hairball.

Yesterday he got into some plants, but he's eaten some of the same plants before and never had a problem except to puke the leaves back up (same thing happens when he eats cat grass- it comes back up in a little while)
    His "girlfriend" is here (Sita) so he is grooming her, and Nell has become jealous of that, so now Nell is letting him groom her LOL so he's getting more hair than usual.
    (He is a very clean boy, always grooming himself)

He's eating ok and is not vomiting up any food. Stools seem ok, peeing ok.
    He's not totally his usual annoying self but he has his days when he just likes to sleep in the sun, so this isn't a big change for him.

I just don't know if I should take him to the vet or wait and see what happens. I mean, who takes their cat to the vet for hairballs?
    But what if it isn't just hairballs, you know?

Except for some chin acne, he looks ok.

WWYD?

2. Jean and Megan

Jean and Megan Member

If he's acting fine for him, I think it would be safe to wait and see, especially since you can see that there is the extra grooming of other kitties going on. If it keeps up or if he starts to act "wrong", then vet.

3. crissyb

crissyb Member

My cat is 10 years old and has done the same thing from time to time. He is healthy though.

4. Gail & Houdini (GA)

Gail & Houdini (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Althea,

Houdini almost never gets hairballs but if there is just a tiny bit of hair in his tummy up it comes. Some of my other cats get huge ones!

I would wait and see how it goes. If he's acting normally otherwise, that is.

Hugs!

5. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

Steph & Cuddles (GA) Well-Known Member

I would wait too. I actually do with mine! They just get the tiniest bit hungry, and I'm not fast enough with the food, up comes foamy puke. :roll: Unless it continues for more than 1-2 days, then it's usually not a big deal. If it goes on for more than 2 days.. then vet time!

6. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

How is everyone this morning, Althea?

7. Snoops mom

Snoops mom Member

Sheldon is fine, Nell is puking up hairballs left and right :roll:

I think, I mean, I know! we have major shedding going on here, and I think that, combined with an extra kitty visiting, and me going out for several hours, when ordinarily I am home 24/7, and what I've got is some nervous puke-y kitties here (and lots and lots of extra fur!!)

No one appears ill. well *I'm* feeling a bit ill, cleaning up all these hairball piles. :p

I've got to go out and get some food for me, and run some errands, so I expect I'll have even more nervous puking later on.

sigh.

oh and the visiting kitty gets loose stools when she's upset- loose and VERY smelly stools. Like you want to burn down the house, it's so bad, smelly stools. :shock:

Yeh, I'm feeling a bit ill myself..........

8. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

I would wait I have been a vet tech for 16 yrs and have multiple cats and it seems like half the time someone is always vomiting something so I would just watch for a few days and as long as your baby is eating and going to the bathroom OK its more then likely not anything to worry about :YMHUG:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.