Take up food 2 hours before testing?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Laura bb, Oct 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

How much does meter testing go up in numbers if I do not take food up 2 hours before? I have started testing before shooting but not taking food up because my vet said to keep food out always. I have been reading to take up food two hours before from posts. Decided to do it right now to see. I just hate depriving him right now with all the poking at him Ive done.

2. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

It is a fasting test so you really do need to remove all food for 2 hours before the BG test.
    You can give him some freeze dried treat or similar when you poke him and you can feed him right afterward.

Keeping food out all the time is not so good sometimes. Small amounts and often may be the way to go if you are home. What you wouldn't want is a cat the is full up from food but whose blood glucose numbers are very low but will not eat to bring the numbers up.

You may already have this in hand but if you could set up a spreadsheet that will help everyone to help you.

Spreadsheet Instructions.

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

He will be ok for a couple of hours without food. It makes a difference because you don't want to base a shot on a food influenced number.

4. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

Thank you. I was just trying to also figure out what his numberd might have been when I had tested him before after food. I appreciate the help I also did buy the 26 gauge lancets and they helped a lot! -easier for me to hold too.

JanetNJ likes this.
  5. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

I have looked up the spreadsheet- I do write everything down by hand. I have had trouble trying to get the spreadsheet going-my tiny phone is my only internet
    But I will borrow try to use my friends computer soon to update all my info I have gathered on a spreadsheet

6. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

Tiny phone is 'orrible. I can't see the screen for quite a lot of online stuff. You have my sympathy.

Okays. For now you can perhaps start one new thread a day in the Lanctus forum.
    In the title you add what his readings are before you give a shot. That is the fasting tests.
    Then you can post that too in a message. You can type it from the notes you make.

Laura bb likes this.
  7. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

It was brought to my attention a few weeks ago that the taking up food 2 hours before testing is more of a general guideline for newbies, until you get an idea of how your cat reacts to food. It is not a hard and fast rule.

Jill & Alex (GA) likes this.
  8. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

Ok thank you very much. I have fed him at 6 am for years right when I wake up. I give him insulin at 630. I was not waking up at 430 to take up food

9. Cindie

Cindie Member

I also have questions about food & BG testing. I do take up the food 2 hours prior, but I give a treat before & after testing. The treats are freeze-dried protein, 2 calories each & 0 carbs. So, if I decide to stall for a while & retest before giving insulin, how much will those treats influence the second test result?

10. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

I do this too, my alarm is set for 5:45am now so I can wake up enough and start on chores, and take up any left over overnight food - then I test at 6am. If I'm not awake enough testing is a disaster, on my end though, not Fena's. The prePM shot is easy, all lunch is long gone before the 6pm test but it's the morning I struggle with, as sometimes in the beginning I was still SO asleep on my feet I forgot to take up the food and forgot testing until 6:30am sometimes. :facepalm:

It's one heck of an adjustment period to try and remember everything and do it enough to where it becomes a new habit. I'm getting better at it but now I struggle with updating my SS from my notebook of times, numbers, etc. *sigh* One thing at a time, you'll be ok!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.