Tammy

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by catmom4, Apr 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. catmom4

catmom4 New Member

Hi. I've been reading a lot of information here, since Tammy was diagnosed in early January 2015. Started on Lantus 1/9/2015. Have been trying to follow the Lantus protocol, while still keeping her safe when I go to work. I've been trying my best to give her the best chance of remission. Have been home testing, at first with an AlphaTrak2 until I realized a lot of the info here and in the protocol is more geared towards human meters. Then started using a Relion Confirm human meter.

Tammy's on Fancy Feast low carb foods only, now. She used to be on dry food only, before she was diagnosed with diabetes and I read the info here. I have tried some of the low carb Friskies with her, along the way, but currently Fancy Feast low carb. When I first switched all 4 of my cats to low carb Friskies, to keep her from getting any of their dry food, two of my other cats started having health issues. The past few months have been a challenge for me and the four cats.

Tammy's needed a dental, but when she was on tiny dosing, I was afraid to give her too much insulin leading up to the dental (she didn't eat enough the night before, before I had to withhold food) and her blood sugar was the highest it has been (449) and they refused to do it. I've been running into issues with vets, from when a vet I've trusted for a long time diagnosed Tammy and was insisting on giving her an insulin that I thought had the least chance for remission of the ones I'd read about. I switched vets to be able to start her on Lantus from the beginning 1/9/15.

Finally, I got her numbers to be OK for a dental and it was done yesterday. I really hope it helps to get her better regulated and hopefully into remission. She threw up this morning, so I ended up giving a lower dose of insulin almost 2 hours later than usual, after she kept a little food down. I'm worried about her and my other cat who both had dentals yesterday. Thanks.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Dentals can temporarily upset BG control. Vomiting sometimes happesn

3. catmom4

catmom4 New Member

Thanks!

4. catmom4

catmom4 New Member

I got some advice over on the Lantus board. I'm keeping an eye on her. Thanks for the information!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.