Teeth-Dental-Honeymoon Cat- and Meds Question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Helene & Tizon, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Helene & Tizon

Helene & Tizon Well-Known Member

Tizon went for his annual visit, a shot of cartrophen, and a senior bloodwork panel today (I'll get the results tomorrow).
    Got a newish vet and asked her tonnes of questions - better get used to me! :twisted:

She told me that Tizon is overweight - ok, I know... leave it alone

Teeth --> She looked in Tizon's mouth and said that she would rate it as 'severely diseased' - OK, that hurt my ego.... but my ego isn't important. I know that Tizon hasn't had a dental and needs one... hence my visit... so I move on. Can a severely diseased mouth go with a BG of 80s? She claims she noticed puss.... and I'm sure she has a trained eye, but how can there be puss and no BG increase? Isn't that an infection?

She also mentioned several extractions and all I can envision is a toothless cat... :sad:

Dental --> His appointment is scheduled for May 13, so it's not like I'm backing up. Should the BG of a honeymoon cat be checked during the procedure? Is he going to need glucose of gravy? O/T is hydro (sp??) OK as the sedative?

Meds --> One last question, I had to armtwist to get Bupe, but I don't know if we can get Buprenex in Canada. Has anyone had experience with Burponophene compounded by Chiron? It's compounded to 0.5 mg/ml. Vet proposes to get transbucosal... that's the correct one isn't it?

Any comments would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

2. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

Hi Helene

Do you have the bloodwork results yet?

I'm not sure if that's tongue in cheek or if you really are irritated that she mentioned his weight? If he's getting cartrophen I assume he has some arthritis pain/joint disease and slimming down can do an unbelievable amount of good in these cases. Humans and cats and dogs that have joint disease and lose a good amount of weight can sometimes stop pain meds altogether--it matters that much.

Yup.

There's no rule that infection needs to cause hyperglycemia. A cat with slowly increasing dental disease is more likely to adjust to the increasing pain and onset of infection than a cat with a sudden traumatic injury.

No and no. Without adding in insulin, as you would with a diabetic, you dont' run the same risk of causing hypoglycemia. A cat will adjust its own insulin level to the fact that s/he skips their morning meal.

I don't know what you mean by O/T.

The bupe is for dental pain? The generic name of buprenex is buprenorphine, do you think that's it? It can be given buccally, and it is absorbed transmucousally. I don't know anything about Chiron compounding.

Hope this helps!

3. Helene & Tizon

Helene & Tizon Well-Known Member

Hi Jess and thanks for responding.

I'm fully aware that he is overweight and when I got in for a dental and she points out that he's fat... well I wasn't sure that it was relevant. That's all. He's already lost 2 lbs and did a yoyo stun when his diabetes kicked in. ... I'm working on it!

O/T is other topic... I'm sorry for the confusion.

4. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

Ha well I just had my annual physical, same dr. for the past 12 years, and she always tells me not to smoke or do drugs and to wear my seatbelt :) Perhaps sometimes they are just on auto-pilot!

GOod luck and keep us posted!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.