? Teeth/gums question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Taffysmama, Jul 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taffysmama

Taffysmama Well-Known Member

Both cats need dentals here...big $$$.

Will likely have to do one at a time.

Anyhow, tonight while trying to look at Taffy's gums, which look inflamed, my finger slipped and I caused his gums to bleed, caught my nail. Feel awful. What can I put on his gums? I was going to do the civvie's dental first, but taffy's gums don't look good. Crap.

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Don't know what you can really put anything on them. Gums stop bleeding on their own pretty quick. CC is going for a dental to have a tooth pulled on the 21st. A tooth is tender but luckily nit infected yet. Hopefully it will stay that way until the 21st. Diabetic cats are prone to tooth issues. If the vet can't do the dental for your cat right away they may be able to give antibiotics or painkillers in the meantime.

Taffysmama likes this.
  3. Taffysmama

Taffysmama Well-Known Member

I'm feeling really guilty that I had not noticed the red and inflamed gums sooner, and back plaque/tartar on rear teeth. Vet always looks in mouth and says not too bad and scrapes the tartar off with his fingernail, which is what I was trying to do. His gums are not good. His breath has been bad, but I just thought he is old. I have to do some calling on Monday and figure out how/where to get this done. I don't want to wait too long but I am also freaked about the cost. My other cat was supposed to be getting a dental coming up but I think Taffy's is worse.

Julia Rae likes this.
  4. Hizzoze

Hizzoze Member

Moxie has inflammation on her gums too. She only has like 7 teeth!!! She had a cleaning 2 years ago (pre diabetes). Most of her teeth were pulled. A few weeks after, she was a brand new kitty. She was spunkier, more talkative and more affectionate. Since she has been DX as a sugar cat, her vet said her gums looked awful again, and a cleaning could possibly help her achieve a better BG level. That is our next step if the canned food doesn't work. I'm praying we don't have to go there, since it is $$! Anyhow, I cut Moxies gums a lot while trying to take a peek. One time I think I pulled her bottom lip away from her gum too far and it bled like crazy. It didn't seem to bother her tho. I feel ya. It makes you feel awful. I tried to make sure she just drank some water after I did that. Idk if there is anything you can put on a cats gums? And if you did, they'd probably hate it! ;):joyful:. Good luck w the teeth cleanings. I personally think they should be free. Lol

5. Hizzoze

Hizzoze Member

Oh yes... Their breath gets horrible. I could smell moxies just sitting beside her, if she started to lick herself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.