Tess - insulin/diet change? bladder cotrol loss

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ann & Tess GA, Jan 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

In the last few of days Tess has had a couple of bladder control accidents while she was sleeping. This has never happened before. Could it be due to the insulin (1 and a half weeks) or going to all wet food( 3 days)? She is drinking a lot less from her bowl down to 2/3 cup from 1 1/4. I do add a little water to the wet food. Any ideas?

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Re: Tess - new problem

Hi Ann

I'm not too sure, but for peace of mind, maybe take her in for a check at the vets.

Hoping others will chime in and offer suggestions.

3. Ann & Tess GA

As it is the weekend the vet is closed. I don't think that it deserves a trip to the ER? Do you? She has been a lot perkier and more relaxed the last few days, just about fell off my lap last night while napping.

4. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

Well, I don't think you have to rush to the ER, but it is concerning and I doubt it has to do with the insulin. I just can't imagine it anyway. Maybe edit your subject line to something like "insulin ->bladder control loss?" to get more eyes here.

5. JJ & Gwyn

JJ & Gwyn Member

Have you noticed Tess having any other problems urinating? Is she straining, trying to go frequently, trying to go in odd places? Have you noticed any pinkish tinge to her urine, or any blood clots in it? If so, it's possible that Tess has a urinary tract infection, a non-uncommon side effect in uncontrolled / under-controlled diabetics. If she does have a UTI, they'll take some urine from her to run some tests on it (takes a few days for the results to come back) and then put her on antibiotics.

The only other thing that causes bladder control loss in my Gwyn are seizures, but I assume you'd notice those ;)

6. Ann & Tess GA

No, she doesn't seem to have any other problems. She uses the box and had a good flow when I did the ketone test yesterday. I'm not sure if there was a urine check when she was at the vet on the 7th. There was a blood test, but he gave me so much totally wrong advice that I switched vets immediately and he has not been prompt in transferring the records over. I'm calling our new vet about this on Monday and if the records aren't there I'll go over and get them myself.

When we met Dr. Mimi on last Wed. she did say that Tess's bladder was small. Thinking back I don't know if that was good or bad.

7. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

I think I would monitor and mention to the vets.

What JJ said was my first thought too, that she could have had a mini seizure (a friends dog did this, different animal I know).

Female cats are more prone to UTI's according to my vet and males are more prone to crystals (differing lengths of the urethra)

Make some observations about her behaviour then you've got more info for your vet too.

I did find I was more 'paranoid' about every little thing Lucky did. I think you do tend to be more acute with FD kitties, probably because you've been through so much together already.

Hope all is well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.