Test Kits

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by toadflaxbex, Aug 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toadflaxbex

toadflaxbex Member

Hey guys,

I have been researching the test kits so I can start testing at home. I have heard a bit about the one touch, so before I launch straight in and buy one, just wanted to get some opinions on easiest to use, how expensive the test strips are etc.
    I'd be grateful as want to get on and buy one so I can start testing.

Thanks

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

I have heard good things about the One Touch. The strips, as with all meters not from Walmart, are expensive. You will probably have to buy a pack from the drug store to get started. Then, go on Ebay and look for strips for the OneTouch. You should be able to find some. Do be sure to look for expiration dates so you don't get outdated ones. (I have heard that our senior citizens sell their surplus strips on ebay - that is why there are so many. I am not sure how I feel about that, but I guess it helps both parties.....)

3. Jean and Megan

Jean and Megan Member

I've heard good things about the One Touch also. If you have difficulty getting a large enough drop of blood, you might have an easier time with something that takes one of the really teeny samples, like the Freestyle Lite (and others, too, but I know that one), which takes only .3 microliters. Of my two cats that I test, one bleeds easily and always gives me enough for whatever meter I wanted to use, but the other is really stingy with her blood and barely gives me enough for the Freestyle.

I always get the strips online. They are absurdly expensive in the stores but quite reasonable online. I haven't done Ebay yet but usually end up at Hocks or another diabetic supply house. When I start, I do a Google search for my brand of strips, get an idea of how the prices are running (they vary from one shopping expedition to another), then home in on the places that have good prices.

By the way, I just noticed last weekend: Kroger in this area has just lowered the price of meters to something closer to what Walmart charges. At Kroger the price varies a little by store - $19.99 in a poor part of town, $25.99 in a wealthier part of town - but is the same for every brand. Walmart has a lot of different meters, all for $18.82. As I recall, Target has a similar price but not quite as much selection. Of course, I'm sure the prices are different in different areas. The take-away lesson is simply that you don't need to pay much for a meter. Some of mine I have found at Walgreens (on sale) for just under $10, and I had a $10 coupon from the paper, so the meter was free. I don't think I've paid more than $5 out-of-pocket for any of my meters (except the ReliOn, ironically), and I have a bunch.

4. Diana&Tom

Diana&Tom Well-Known Member

5. Mary Jazz Katy Bushey(GAs)

Mary Jazz Katy Bushey(GAs) Member

Fully recommend One Touch Ultra, it made testing Bushey a doddle, I uses to wish that I had it in mjazz Cats time.

Ebay usually has good offers, in our time there was even an on line pharmacy there selling meters for under a fiver!

And I had a free update one from the makers that I passed on to a newbie!

Mary(UK)

6. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Lori and Tom puts together free meter kits for newbies. She may have a One Touch meter available. You can send her a PM and ask.

Get a basic One Touch meter because that's all you need. The Mini one works. The Ultra 2 (I think) has features that you won't ever need for your diabetic cat and is more expensive.

7. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

I've found the One Touch uses more blood than the Accu Check Aviva or Walmart Relion. Not sure if that matters to you, but in the beginning when ears are not as easily trained, an AccuCheck Aviva sips really fast and easy to use.

8. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

The Aviva is a great cat-friendly meter :thumbup But test strips tend to be pricey :-| Definitely pays to shop around for the best prices. EBay is one place people buy test strips from. I always bought Aviva test strips from HealthWarehouse.com.

9. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

I've switched to the Relion because of costs, but miss my Aviva, loved the way it sips. Since easiest to use was mentioned in the first post, I thought I'd add my opinion on that one, I do love to share :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.