Test, shoot insulin, wait and hour, and then feed?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Todd's mom Heather, Dec 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd's mom Heather

Todd's mom Heather Member

Hello,

I have always read/heard that we are supposed to test our cat's glucose, then feed him, and then give him insulin either while he is eating, or shortly after. (Todd is on ProZinc, btw)

But then today, I brought him to a new vet. She said that there is new info out there that says we should give them insulin and then WAIT an HOUR before feeding them. Have any of you heard this? Do you medicate your kitties this way?

I am very new here, and Todd was diagnosed a few months ago. I have all his numbers written down, but I will be putting them in a spreadsheet tonight. Thanks for any help!
    Heather

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Heather and Todd and welcome!

You are correct, your vet is wrong, or has misunderstood the information.
    We test, feed and give the insulin in that order and it should all take about 10 or so minutes. Often less time. If you are using Prozinc your kitty doesn’t have to eat ALL his food before the shot, but you need to see that he is willing to eat. Because Prozinc is one of the longer acting insulins, you can give him some of the food over the next several hours if you like. Many of us feed at shot time and then again at around +2 or 3 and then again at +4 or 5. So the morning amount of food allocated is spread over several hours when the insulin is doing its work.
    For those using one of the faster acting insulins like caninsulin you would want to make sure he had a good amount of food aboard before giving insulin
    Bron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.