Test strips

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Booger's Mom, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Booger's Mom

Booger's Mom Member

Would you buy test strips that were not sealed in a box?? Advice please

2. Sylvie

Sylvie Member

prefer not to but, depending on the seller and how they are listed i will. i bought 12 (600 strips) back in oct. that were shown next to their boxes but, listed as being shipped without boxes, they turned out fine and i got them a lot cheaper than 12 with boxes get sold at since resellers weren't bidding on them!!

3. Deborah & Muffy(GA) & Wendall

Deborah & Muffy(GA) & Wendall Member

I took a chance and got some on ebay after contacting the seller to find out why they were not boxed and they were fine.

4. johnt

johnt Member

Without starting another topic I have a question.

my disgust with test strips is they're a pain to get out of the bottle when they're full. is it not recommended to empty them into a small bowl or something similar to make them easier to grab?

On this topic I should add, I got a new tester for my mother called Accu-Chek guide. this thing is fantastic! they have a special program where you can get 300 strips for $69.00

[​IMG]

anyway, the strips come in a bottle where they're all lines up, easy to take one, and the others don't fall out, even if held upside down!

plus the strips are not centered on the blood spot. you can put the blood anywhere on the end. just makes it easier. and the tester (very nice, even has a light when putting a strip in and an ejector for the strip) is FREE!
    https://www.accu-chek.com/meters/guide-meter

Caveat is the single use lancet, but i don't use the device anyway, i buy cheap ones and use them without putting them in a tester. just pokey pokey

anyway. back to the question!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I’m careful in handling test strips because I don’t want to actually “contaminate” one by getting anything on the business end that might affect the reading.

Bellasmom likes this.
  6. johnt

johnt Member

same here. that's why i was wondering. What I normally do is take an old vial and dump half into it, but after working hard for 35 years my fingers are big and i dont have that granular control to get those tiny thing out. i have to half dump them into the lid to get one then sometimes use tweezers so I don't pull 3 out.

7. Kris & Teasel

Tweezers work. :)

8. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Just
    make sure that the "old" vial is the last one you emptied. Each strip vial contains a dessicant and thus if yo used the same "old" vial all the time the desiccant would be depleted and you would then get inaccurate readings.

Sylvie and Kris & Teasel like this.
  9. johnt

johnt Member

OK now I'm stumped.

last night i held off doing a mid cycle test because I'm low on strips and haven't gotten out to get more. I got his PMPS and it was only 166. No way i dose that low. I checked an hour later and it was only 188 after giving him tuna. then I gave him a few (4) temptations, and more tuna. waited 2 more hours and his blood was +255. I onlyl shot him 2 u.

this morning his amps was 186 and I waited an hour longer due to the alte dose last night.

Not sure how to proceed

10. johnt

johnt Member

Somehow i missed this. Thank you, I didn't know this at all!

What i do is get two bottles at a time. i take the old one and split one of the new ones, then throw that old one out when it empties. i did NOT know that they had something in them like you mention. So I am going to stop doing that

11. Kris & Teasel

Get that info on your SS ASAP in case we need to refer back to it soon. So, to summarize:

03 Apr: PMPS 166
    +1 hour 188
    +3 hours 255
    dosed of 2 u at +3 after normal dose time

04 Apr: AMPS 186 (at the normal AM time?)

OK - his dose last night was 3 hours late so it might still have been working this AM when you did your AMPS test if it was at the usual AM time. Give 2 u again at your normal time and get a +2 test for sure. This is a much reduced dose so he should be OK. You need to get back on schedule and also get used to dosing on slightly lower numbers. He's obviously responding really well and the 3.5 u dose might be too high. It's normal for the good dose to change so getting a before bed test is important.

Is he eating less/no higher carb food? Has he lost a little weight? Both of those can affect BG.

Maybe start a new thread dedicated to dosing so others will see it if I'm not around. This discussion is buried in your Test Strips thread.

12. johnt

johnt Member

I did fill the ss in. maybe look how I did it? should I change it?

I'll dose him 2 now then, he's 1 hour late for normal time. then check him +2

he's lost a little weight, but not much. i actually got him eating some of the cleanprotein wet food. not much but I'm hoping to transition him off the tuna. i'm happy about that.

he still sneaks the kibble and finances tightened up so I'm delayed again. but I've gotten to the point i move the kibble off the floor and he can't get to it. I'd rather have him scream at me than sneak it.

I'll follow your direction. thank you!

13. Kris & Teasel

I see the blue PS now on your SS (and the notes attached to your PMPS last night). Thanks! You have a plan for today. Set up a new dosing thread and I'll check in when I can.

14. johnt

johnt Member

ok will do. Thanks!

I was a bit surprised you mentioned lowering him from his normal 3.5 once I get him back on track. I was thinking he was just about perfect where he was at. Good thing I take your guidance.

15. Kris & Teasel

He might well have to go up in dose. The reduction is in response to the low PSs and for him to be safe. He's been very stable on 3.5 u but things can change.

16. johnt

johnt Member

yes I know we're dealing with an anomaly here. i probably misread a reply. i thought you meant adjust him down once we get back stable

either way, I feel so much better only giving him 3.5 at a time and since I can test, I know he's safe.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  17. johnt

johnt Member

ugh, i apologize @Kris & Teasel I didn't realize I was replying to a 'test strips' thread and not his chart thread.

I'll start one more, since we aren't posting nearly as much it won't hog up the forum as much.

as always, thank you

Kris & Teasel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.