Test strips

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Louie B, Aug 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Louie B

Louie B Member

interestling, all of my test strips have vanished from the canister and no one knows anything about it. (Deep breaths)
    I use the ones that came with the alpha trac 2. Can you get those at Walgreens, etc. or do you have to order them?
    Is there another brand that would Work?

2. Chubba (GA)

Chubba (GA) Well-Known Member

I could never find them anywhere but online. I tried several vets around my area, but no one sold them. I found the quickest to be amazon prime (and usually the cheapest). If you are a prime member, you can have them in 2 days, if not sign up for the 30 day trial. Once I paid to have them shipped overnight and learned to hoard 200+ strips. Lol

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Alphatrak is available online and at many vet offices. Amazon or Adwdiabetes.com are two places. Some also use petsure strips (amazon), freestyle lite, or freestyle insulinx. The last two may be available in stores. Amazon has strips same day delivery in my area.

4. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Shawna & Davidson (GA) Well-Known Member

In a pinch visit Walmart and pickup an ReliOn Prie with 50 test strips for approx. $22

Bobbie And Bubba and Beth 73 like this.
  5. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

I second Shawna's post above. The Relion meter strips are sooooo cheap. And it the strips are cheaper you will be more prone to not skimp on the testing.

And the bonus is that the protocol here is written for using a human meter.

Oh and Welcome to L, B & L! I don't think I have ever posted on your thread before.

Could you set up a signature and a SS so we can offer better advice to you?

6. Louie B

Louie B Member

So the Reli om is good for the alpha track or is just for the human meter?

7. Louie B

Louie B Member

I’ll try. I have a hard time navigating this site. I’m not at all tech savvy.

8. Bobbie And Bubba

If you use Relion test strips, it has to be in a Relion meter. Both are very inexpensive at Walmart and will save you a ton of money. And as I said above, the protocol here is written for using a human meter.

The vets push these AT2 meters because they make a lot of $$ you buying the strips for them. You can get them online cheaper but it is a pain when you run out of them on a bounce breaking cycle and you need to test often. Walmart is always opened.

9. JanetNJ

Setting up a signature is easy. Click on your name at the top right corner and choose signature. Add info such as your pets name, age, date diagnosed, insulin type, food, and meter, and any other health concerns.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  10. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

You can’t use RelioOn strips in the AlphaTrak meter....you need to buy the ReliOn strips ($9/50 pcs) and the meter is $10-12. Keep the other meter for back up..the ReliOn is a human meter which we mostly use.

11. Louie B

Louie B Member

I went ahead and ordered the pricey alphatrak strips bc I was in a panic trying to order to get them here. I will plan to get the reli on tho for next time. What is a normal BS level on the reli on? We got a reading of 700 the other night. It’s all a huge mess—I worry about him constantly! He’s been out all afternoon and it’s been 100* and he won’t come in. Wears me out! He’s too old and sick to do this! If I don’t let him out he hollers and makes me nuts! I got new insulin this weekend bc mine was 5 months old and I was worried it might have lost its zing bc I store in the fridge door. So got the new insulin ($99 at CVS!) but he’s still high. He spent Friday at the vet bc he was puking and then the 700. He’s on 1.5. I’m hesitant to put him on 2 bc he had a hypo event once when he was on 2. Best thing I’ve done was a month long vacation this summer when my house sitter had to worry about him! I worried, too, obviously, but I wasn’t arranging my schedule around shot times and trying to lock him in the house when it was 110*. Between him and my kids (having to homeschool one of them bc he has his own special needs) I’m losing what grip I had on sanity.

12. JanetNJ

If you start a spreadsheet we can help you with dosing.

I use an Alphatrak and to save money use insulinx strips from eBay. I buy them for $12-15 / 50. There's a new one on amazon called pet sure strips for the Alphatrak that are $20 for 50.

13. Louie B

Louie B Member

I just cancelled the order but now I’m reading bad things about the pet sure strips. Ugh!!!! If most people here use the reli on, I’ll try that. How do the numbers correlate to the alpha trak, since it’s for humans?

14. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

I've been using the Relion Prime meter & strips. A lot of people here do. It works Fine & like Bobbie said the test strips are cheap & at Walmart. My vet tried to get me to use the Alpha Trak also but No thanks.

Your Kitty looks like my Ravan! :)

15. JanetNJ

Someone on here recently did test comparisons with the petsure strips and they were very compable to the alpha strips.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/petsure-strip-trial.201699/

16. Louie B

Louie B Member

So a couple of questions—What would be considered “normal” on the Relion? Just not sure how you’d convert that.
    Secondly, I feed Louie Tiki Cat, which reports as zero carbs, high protein and low phosphorus (kidney disease). Does anyone else have diabetes AND kidney disease, and if so, what do you feed? Tiki cat is so pricey!

17. Bobbie And Bubba

As far as the human meter...... the take action number would be 50 rather than 68 on the AT2. Post for help if you get a number that low.

I am sure others will weight in about CKD disease and FD.

18. JanetNJ

Human meter is 50-120 and on a pet meter it's 68-150.

I had my diabetic and a ckd cat at the same time. He was only stage 2 ckd. I fed weruva bff cans. Tiki is lower in phosphorus though. Bff most flavors are around 250. Not much cheaper then the Tiki. I feed both ff and Tiki to my diabetic.

19. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

There isn't really a 'normal' as ECIS (each cat is different) and if you look at the SS (spread sheets) you'll see different times for nadirs, some are dropping within 2 hrs of insulin, others take 5-6..........you need to get the tests done throughout the day and entered on a SS so that many here can help determine the dose. It's a bit of work initially but you'll get the hang of it just like we all did when we hot hit with the FD DX. Davidson has just been DX's with RKD too

20. Louie B

Louie B Member

Well now I’m totally confused!!! Reading about the Relion and folks griping about it not having control solution and how you need that to make sure it’s working properly!! What??? I thought that stuff was just so you could practice without sticking your pet!!
    Reviewers say it takes 2-3 weeks to get it in!! I don’t know what to do!! And where is my cat?? He does this to me—he’s been out for 7 hrs and still not home! That cat is giving me gray hair!!!!

21. Louie B

Louie B Member

He’s home. Really wishing I had a strip bc he is all wild eyed. His pupils get very large when he gets high or low. He’s acting ok but not hungry, which probably means he’s already eaten at the neighbors. He’s drinking a TON!!! His pupils stay big. :-(

22. JanetNJ

Lesson learned to always have backup strips. Been there done that.

23. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

The meters all work the same, sometimes a test strip is bad or you don’t get enough blood drawn up to get a reading. Remember each meter has a 20% +/- factor so they are all not 100%. You still need to prick the ears to get the blood draw for the test, or some prick their paw pads....not sure what you mea by it “takes 2-3 was to get it in”?? Glad he came home, and he’s probably either very hi or low as that’s why he’s thirsty. You’ve got to get testing and have the right dose.....hopefully youlll get some numbers posted tonight

24. Louie B

Louie B Member

I’ve seen those spreadsheets, and frankly, that is more intimidating to me than testing! I’ve figured out the testing, I’m ok with the shots, but SS are out of my league. It was scary to see how LOW other people’s nimbers are. :-(
    I’ve taken several readings in the past couple weeks—the lowest was 280. Others were 429, 578, 677, 600, 640 and 710. Scary high. He did eat tonight. I gave him 1.75. He’s been on 1.5 for weeks now and I’m still getting crazy high numbers. Tomorrow I figure out this test strip mess! I may just get the pricey ones and try to figure out a new plan for when I run out. Maybe get the reli on and go ahead and order the solution so I’ll be ready.

25. Louie B

Louie B Member

Meaning I’d have to prick his ear 2-3x to get it right.

26. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Having two meters is always a good idea. One day you may need the backup. Put an extra box of test strips in your hypo kit, then you've always got one around. Personally I always got nervous if my supply was below 200 strips.

Are you heating the ear with a warm rice sock or pill bottle with warm water first? It helps the blood flow. So does having a smaller lancet, 26-28 gauge until you've been at this a while.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.