Testing for ketones in urine was easier than I thought

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Julie and Honey, Dec 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Julie and Honey

Julie and Honey Well-Known Member

I figured would not be bad to check for ketones once in awhile to supplement data I am keeping on Honey. Has never had them that I know of and vet 2 weeks ago showed zero in urine.

I thought to myself, how are you going to get a cat to pee in a container?

Actually found a video (maybe here on another thread, not sure) and the person used a spoon under the cat, but that seemed too much risk of getting cat pee on the floor to me. It was entertaining to watch though, lol.

Then I remembered reading someone took tinfoil and made a little “tray” the size of a deck of cards. If that person is here, take a bow, you are a genius, worked like a charm!!!

I lowered litter level in the corner she usually goes in and put the “tray” in the corner so it was low enough in the litter she would not care it was there. Left it there in place so it would be ready next time she went to pee.

Sure enough I followed her to her box a little while later and she started to get in box and saw the tray in the corner. She stopped getting in the box for a second, uh-oh. I told her it’s okay and she just walked over it and peed right in it! Had to get her out of box before she tried to cover up the sample with litter! Took a sturdy paper plate to set the urine tray on so I would not spill it on my way to the counter where I performed the test.

Zero ketones. Yay! This was a lot easier than getting a blood sample:joyful:

Sylvie, SpotsMom and Kris & Teasel like this.
  2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Excellent!! :D

3. majandra

majandra Well-Known Member

If you do get clumping litter in it, as long as you get to it quick, it should still be wet enough to work- it's just a little grosser

Kris & Teasel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.