Testing glucose for the first time

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jenn ~ J.J's mom, Jul 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jenn ~ J.J's mom

Jenn ~ J.J's mom Member

I updated the spreadsheet and will do a post 3 hr test if you think it necessary, should I be doing a post 4 & 5 as well?

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

I think getting a +3 is the best idea. That seems to be when J.J is getting the lowest numbers pretty consistently so far and depending on that reading, you can then decide when to test again if needed. We try to do at least one mid cycle test per cycle. In the beginning a few extra tests just help to make sure you are catching the lowest point and I think we can see that now. So unless J.J is lower than her previous +3 readings, I think you can both take a break on extra readings today. :D

3. Jenn ~ J.J's mom

Jenn ~ J.J's mom Member

Yay!!! That's great news. I will have to celebrate by leaving the house for a bit today! ;) thx again

4. MrWorfMen's Mom

Good plan! It's important to keep your spirits up too even if it's only to put a dent in some errands you've been putting off! It's so easy to let the diabetes take over but if we don't look after ourselves then if and when you do have be monitoring more closely, we're not in good shape to do it and it's more stressful than it would otherwise be.

Not sure if anyone pointed you to this document but it's a good guide to have a look at so you understand how Caninsulin works and get acquainted with how to make decisions about doses, monitoring etc. Of course we're always here to help too!

Jenn ~ J.J's mom likes this.
  5. MrWorfMen's Mom

Jenn, it looks to me like you are still shooting later than you ultimately want to. How about backing J.J up a bit tonight so you can soon get back to getting your beauty sleep!:woot: If you back her up an hour tonight and then another hour in total tomorrow by doing the morning shot 30 minutes earlier and the night shot 30 minutes earlier, you'll be somewhere around 8:30 if my calculations are correct provided she has a good pre-shot number. Also I think we should probably start a new thread as this one is getting very long. So if you need any guidance or assistance tonight or tomorrow, just start another thread with a title of whatever you want advice about. If you just want confirmation of giving insulin or times for instance, use that for your title. I think you are getting a pretty good handle of this and making good decisions so just remember your no shoot number, and your too low number and if she suddenly shoots a number lower than she's had yet definitely post for advice. Her BG may come down as the infection clears in which case a dose adjustment may be needed. Right now though, she is doing great and so are you. :D

Jenn ~ J.J's mom likes this.
  6. Jenn ~ J.J's mom

Jenn ~ J.J's mom Member

Ahhh thank you Linda, I had a really great teacher! :bighug: Of course I saw your note too late to bring the time down tonight but I will start in the morning. Hope you had a great day!

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.