Testing Hack

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Molly and Sammy, Oct 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Molly and Sammy

Molly and Sammy Member

Sammy and I are about five weeks into this sugar dance, and thanks to all of you what seemed impossible at first is getting doable. (Not easy, but doable.) Testing has been our biggest challenge, as Sammy is not only squirmy but a biter when he's feeling harassed. I wear protective gear on my wrists and forearms every time I test, and having me less tense is helping him. However!
    His patience is thin, and once I poke him to draw blood, he is not ready to wait for another pass with the meter and test strip. My hands shake, and getting the blood on correctly is tricky. When I first came online I read that someone used a fingernail to transfer the blood from ear to strip and meter, but I thought that sounded weird and didn't try it. Well, today I did,and wow! I am blessed with a nice longish right thumb nail, and all I did was gently swoop across the ear I'd just pierced. Sammy was free to dive into his treats, and I could leisurely apply the test strip to my nail. (And yes, I always wash my hands well before I test.) I post this in hopes that it might help someone else. You all convinced me that NOTHING happens without a test, and I'm facing a curve tomorrow. Thank you, FDMB community!

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

So glad that little trick has helped you test Sammy! Let him have at his treats but do try, if possible, to put a little pressure on the pokey spot afterward you get your reading to prevent any bruising. Don't want his little ears getting sore making him more cranky! :)

3. Molly and Sammy

Molly and Sammy Member

Thanks, and I do. While he is scarfing down his treats I praise him and hold a cosmetic pad around ( meaning to touch front and back) his ear. He'll accept that nicely.

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  4. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

Bless your socks and Mr Wriggly Sammy's paws. :bighug:

Molly and Sammy likes this.
  5. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Good job! It will get easier as time passes too.

HUGS!

Molly and Sammy likes this.
  6. Paigeworthy

Paigeworthy Member

I am so glad you found something that works. I somehow took to testing right away (and our cat has the patience of Job) but my husband struggled a bit to find what works for him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.