? Testing help

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bumpsy & Shady, Feb 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bumpsy & Shady

Bumpsy & Shady Member

So I finally got all the testing supplies we need, and after a few days I actually worked up the courage to attempt it, but my first two tries didn't go so well.

I get everything ready, get close to the cat, grab is ear with the cotton, and he immediately starts moving his head around not wanted me to touch his ears. Then he tries to fold his ears down flat against his head, and basically just get away from me as fast a possible. If I pick him up to put him on my lap, the claws come out quickly as he tries to get away.

After only two attempts, if he so much as hears me trying to prepare meter, test strip etc, hes behind the couch. I feel like if I continue to do this unsuccessfully, I'm going to build up his mistrust. Today, for a few hours after my second attempt, if I so much as walked in the same room, he ran and hid behind the couch.

I've watched the videos on line, and I do think it will get better once we are more use to it, and the treats are flowing after a successful tests, but how do I get there?

Anyone have any tips or tricks that may help? I'm nervous, he's nervous, and I don't know how to deescalate this and not continue to make it a worse ordeal. (They make it look so easy in the videos!)

And if I could, a bonus question: I want to stock up on treats for when we (hopefully) can get this process going, but obviously don't want to give him hi-carb/sugary treats. Can anyone recommend something that is appropriate?

Thanks for listening!

2. Shelly & Jersey (GA)

Shelly & Jersey (GA) Well-Known Member

Keep trying. It will definitely get easier! We tested on Jersey's paw, so I can't give you many tips on ear testing. It did help us to warm up the paw first (or the ear). We used a rice-filled sock that we had microwaved for about 15 seconds. We also put Neosporin (with pain relief) on the testing site after warming it. It helped the blood bead up.

Do make sure you give a treat even after unsuccessful tests. A lot of people here use pure chicken as a testing treat, which, of course, Jersey didn't like. We used Orijen freeze-dried cat treats.

I'm sure others will be along soon to offer more tips.
    Shelly

3. Caitlin M

Caitlin M Well-Known Member

Hello! That sounds horribly frustrating and Im sure we can all relate to it in some extent. I just began testing my cat a week ago tomorrow and I have to tell you that I JUST figured out what seems to be the best method for Pita and me. I'm still a newbie also, but definitely try to pick one spot to always bring him and buy treats asap! I bought EVO chicken and turkey dry food and he loves it for testing time. Try to bring him to the spot you've chosen and just give him affection and a couple treats-keep petting and try to just rub his ears while he eats. Maybe try this a few times a day without even testing OR just have the supplies nearby. I've found that putting the ointment on his ear about 5 or so minutes before I even begin the process helps. I then use a rice sock and give him a few treats while I hold it to his ear and pet him. Pita still flattens his ear sometimes but I just keep trying. I figured out that putting him into a burrito has helped- he used to start growling and try to run away and then I'd be frustrated and discouraged. I'll now burrito him and give him a couple treats while I attempt a poke or two. I then give him kisses and a couple more treats, whether I got blood or not. If I did, I'll put it on the meter, give a couple more treats and lots of praise and love. I do think I'll be able to decrease the amount of treats as time goes on but it's still significantly less dry food than he previously was fed. This whole routine is still not flawless and has taken nearly a week to even figure all this out! I know I just threw out a lot of info, but it WILL get better! I'm still reminding myself also :)
    PS- I did this in the beginning and it helped. Try singing as you test! It'll keep your nervousness at bay.

meowsyko likes this.
  4. Bumpsy & Shady

Bumpsy & Shady Member

I should probably point out that the rice sock is not really an option for me; I don't own a microwave (haven't in 15 years). I was just going to try rubbing the ear to warm it up, but would love to hear any other ideas as well. Maybe filling something with warm water?

I am also going to try a lower gauge lancet for my next attempt. Will also try applying ointment before testing. Was originally thinking I would use that after.

Hmm...this could be a good idea. Maybe shutting us both in the bathroom. No couch in there, and it does have good lighting.

Thanks for the advice!

5. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Do try the desensitization that Caitlin mentions. Choose one spot for testing, take your kitty there multiple times a day just to pet and rub his ears then give a treat- don't test, then let him go. As you both relax add the poke, and hopefully get a successful test. You can use a pill bottle filled with warm water to help warm his ear, as well as rubbing his ear vigorously. Remember to relax and try the singing, it really helps!

6. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

That is all I do to warm Maury's ear.

What gauge are you using? Ideally you want 26-28g for testing ear.

Lastly, you may have to try the Kitty burrito like Caitlin :cat: Definitely the desensitization too! Good luck!

7. Bumpsy & Shady

Bumpsy & Shady Member

I think the lancets I bought are 26 ga, but the meter itself came with a handful of sample lancets. I had been trying to test using the samples, but I think those are thinner, maybe 30 ga.

I'll stop using those and switch over to the 26 ga ones I bought.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.