Testing Kits

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by montbayca, Mar 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. montbayca

montbayca New Member

I am a new member and relatively new to both home testing and feline diabetes. I have a 14 year old cat that was diagnosed in September and we are still trying to get a dosage that is working consistenly for him. Right now we are at 7 units twice a day and we started home testing a couple of weeks ago. My wonderful, wonderful vet has loaned me a AlphaTrak testing kit to make certain we were comfortable with doing the home testing. We are now testing twice a day and are at a point of purchasing our own kit. I checked tonight on prices and WOW! The kits themselves aren't bad but the strips are so high. (I am a multi-pet owner (or is it I am owned my multiple pets) and the majority of them are elderly; between vet costs and special diets their non-furry mommy will be never retire.) I have read about some of the other kits people are using and would love any input from others as to what types of kits they have found success with. Thanks! Lucy & Heckle

2. Jean and Megan

Jean and Megan Member

Lots of different glucose meters work fine. I happen to use Freestyle Lite, but many others are used just fine - Relion is one that is very inexpensive (from Walmart). There is another one that is mentioned here often as quite inexpensive. Maybe Maxima AST? I'm really not sure about that name.

I have about a half-dozen meters and haven't paid more than $2 for one yet. Sometimes they are free, sometimes they are priced at something like $11 and the newspaper has a $10 coupon (so you end up paying $1) ... The real expense is in the strips. Those usually *are* horribly expensive in the stores. The Relion is the exception - those strips are inexpensive at Walmart. But for the others, buy them online. You can almost always get them for 1/2 or less of the retail price.

And you don't need the AlphaTrak. That one and its strips are quite expensive, I understand, and you won't find the same kinds of bargains you find routinely with human meters and strips. The suggestions given on this board generally assume that you are using a human meter.

3. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

First - I have never used Alpha Trak - so I have no personal exp there other than I've heard the strips are very expensive.

My cats-only vet uses a human glucometer in her practice.

The only "benefit" of the Alpha Trak is that you can select "dogs" or "cats".

My personal preference is the MAXIMA AST that I ordered from http://www.hocks.com (if you use the link above, FDMB gets a donation of 8% of your order).

The Maxima AST meter requires 0.5 microliter blood drop, and the test strips cost $16.49 per 50.

Since they only seem to be available online, you need to plan ahead. In order to get free shipping, I buy several containers of strips plus syringes plus lancets.

Hocks is based in Indiana (my shipments come from there anyway), so the turnaround is pretty good - sometimes I've received shipment next day -- sometimes closer to a week. Depends when I place my order. (e.g. Friday afternoon takes longer than Tuesday morning)

The "meter deal" at www.hocks.com is $34 which includes 100 test strips (buy 2 vials & meter is free)
    http://hocks.com/hocks-healthcare/hocks ... FM-14.html

If you buy 300 test strips, they are cheaper:
    http://hocks.com/hocks-healthcare/hocks ... MAX50.html

To get my order up for Free Shipping, I also buy U100 syringes with half unit marks and lancets:
    http://hocks.com/hocks-healthcare/hocks ... 40030.html
    http://hocks.com/hocks-healthcare/hocks ... 10030.html $1.49 per 100

and this needle snipper is handy -- cut off the needle, and throw the plastic syringe parts in the regular trash:
    http://hocks.com/hocks-healthcare/hocks ... 83796.html

4. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

I use the Maxima as well. You do need to plan ahead, but if you spend $79 at Hocks the shipping is free and shipping can be expensive. For me that's usually 4 boxes of strips and 2 boxes of lancets. I usually order more, as I have been accused of being a testaholic. I'm in CA and if I order on the weekend I usually have the order by Friday.

Some people like larger lancets but I really like the BD Micro 30 Gauge. I think they are sharper and Tess doesn't flinch as much. Others I've tried of the same gauge need more pressure to get a sample.

If you order from Hocks be sure to use the link at the top of the page. They make a donation to help keep this site running.

5. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

6. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

OMG !!! 7-units 2x/ day is a whopping big dose.

What are you feeding ( dry or wet...what brands and flavors).

What dose did you start at and how did you get to 7 units bid (2x/day).

Unless there are rare/unusual medical conditions, most cats are regulated
    on 1-3 units 2x/day.

Boy, am I worried about that high dose.

7. JJ & Gwyn

JJ & Gwyn Member

I have to agree with Karen: 7 units twice a day is a *lot* of insulin!

Could you tell us, please: what insulin are you on? How many units did you start on and how long did you stay on that dose before it was increased? And how much was it increased by, and how long did you stay on that dose before it was increased? Does Heckle have any other health conditions that might affect his diabetes, or is he on any other medications?

Also, please: as you roam this site and read the FAQs and other people's questions and answers, you'll see a *lot* of talk about switching to a low-carb diet to help control the diabetes. However, since you are giving such a large dose of insulin, please do *not* switch to low-carb food until we can verify that Heckle isn't on too high a dose already.

If you go to the bottom of the page and go to the Health Links forum, you'll find several useful links, including Melissa's notes on symptoms and treatment of hypoglycemia, and Jojo's notes on stocking a hypo toolkit so that you'll be prepared if it ever happens to Heckle. Read the posts, then print Melissa's out and tape it to the side of the fridge (when you suspect a hypo is not the time to find out that your ISP is down).

FWIW, we used WalMart's ReliOn meter successfully for several years; it's one of the least expensive on the market. As you investigate pricing, you'll find that the test strips are the most expensive cost, so much so that some manufacturers give away their meters, knowing they'll make up the cost in test strips. So make sure you price the test strips before investing in a meter. You can also find test strips for sale on eBay, courtesy of human diabetics who's insurance pays for more test strips than they use; those can be real cost savers.

8. montbayca

montbayca New Member

Heckle started at 1 unit once a day on PZI when he was first diagnosed. He went up to one unit twice a day the next month; in November we went on vacation and he was boarded at the vet for 12 days. That was when everything went crazy, his gluclose levels were in the 600's and would not go lower than the 400's. By the time we came home he was at 5 units twice a day, he went in for a curve in January and we upped it to 6 units twice a day. At that point we also had to switch to a different insulin for him, (I cannot remember the name I will check it when I get home this evening, but it the synthetic one that is equivalent to PZI.) He was doing better in appearance, appetite, and urination (dude had been filling the litterbox everyday!) for about a month when he had a downward spiral. Back to the vet for several days and he was put on an antibiotic, upped to 7 units twice a day, we decided that home testing would be helpful. I had been reluctant about trying it, I am needle phobic and the first time I did the testing I nearly passed out. (We have got it down really well, I do have to say it is all him if Heckle had opposable thumbs he would give himself the injections. He is so wonderful with the testing, he sits in my lap and purrs while I prick his ear.)
    His levels have been in the 100's until last week, he had finished his antibiotic and within 3 days we were in the 300's. I was at the vet's office for another one of my cats Friday and we decided to put him on another round of antibiotics to see where everything was. This weekend we were back into the 200's and this morning the 100's. I go back tomorrow with one of the dogs (I swear I LIVE at the Vet's this last year) for shots and will discuss all of this with her at that point.
    As far as food, dry food he is eating Hills Science M/D. When he gets wet food it is either homemade (chicken or fish ground up with nothing added) or Friskies Special Diet Whitefish, Turkey & Giblets or Beef & Liver. All of these have been okay by the vet and from the reading I have done are high protein/low carb.
    There are three vets at the clinic I go to, I have seven pets and have seen all of the vets at different times but Heckle consistently sees one of the Dr.'s. She is a great vet who goes above and beyond to help me out. She has said that until we hit 1 unit per pound twice a day (he weighs about 13 lbs) she doesn't consider it a high dosage. Diabetes is a new area for me and I am trying to learn all I can. Any and all advise is welcome!

9. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Actually the article that discusses a threshold for what is considered High Dose states 1 unit per pound weight PER DAY (not BID), so you are there already.

Here is the article: (for some reason the article is no longer available for "free") This is the abstract - your vet probably has access to the journal:
    http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/jour ... 1/abstract

10. Ann & Tess GA

At 13% the Hills MD dry is still at least a medium carb food, plus it is DRY FOOD which is not good for cats, especially diabetic cats. Read this info on feline diet. http://catinfo.org/ and check out the other info available on this site.

HOWEVER, DON'T MAKE A CHANGE IN FOOD WITHOUT ADJUSTING THE INSULIN, especially with the high dose you are using. There could be a really big drop in BG. Read all the info you can on diet and go to the appropriate forum for the insulin you are using to get more advice. What insulin are you using?

11. montbayca

montbayca New Member

He is on ProZinc Insulin, he seemed to be do better on PZI but it may be a coincidence.

12. Ann & Tess GA

I think you should ask around here to get advice on switching foods from some of the experienced members. It made a big difference for Tess when we changed. We had to do it slowly as she was already on insulin, but not nearly as much as Heckel is getting. Start a new thread with a title like Dry Food Change or Pro Zinc High Dose.

Illogically, sometimes BG goes up when a cat gets too much insulin. Here, the mantra is start low and go slow.

13. montbayca

montbayca New Member

Thanks for that tip on the dry food, I will definetly do that. Heckle (& his siblings) love their dry food, heaven help us if that bowl gets low. This is such a difficult time for us, I am an accountant and am smack in the middle of tax season, trying to get as much info as I can on diabetes, testing twice a day and I just lost one of my furry kids to kidney disease last week. Non-furry mom needs sanity!
    I noticed you are from Central CA, I have to ask where in California are you from? I am originally from Monterey but have lived in NC from a number of years.

14. Ann & Tess GA

I live in Nipomo in SLO County, not too far from where you were.

Just be sure to go slowly if you change from dry food while you are giving insulin. It's better to be high a little longer than to dangerously low suddenly (Hypoglycemic)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.