? Testing Monty

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tom & Monty, May 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom & Monty

Tom & Monty Member

My cat, Monty, hates being tested - however today I managed to do my first at home test!

In order to test him I had to burrito him, he didnt try too hard to escape and mostly just accepted it, but hid under my bed afterwards.

He isn't a lap cat so having him sit on me isn't an option, he has a favourite spot on my couch but he's learned to associate me approaching him with treats with being poked, I wanted the opposite association!

His value came back at 230, around 5 hours after his shot (caninsulin 4U). He's switching to lantus next Thursday so I don't want to mess with his dose for now.

Any advice on making testing easier for both of us?

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Are you giving Monty a treat after each test?
    Or you could give him the treat as you are testing to distract him.
    It may take time for him to get used to the new routine but he will and he will associate treats with testing.

I would recommend you test before every shot to see it is safe to actually give the insulin.
    How long has Monty been on insulin? 4 units is a lot for a newly diagnosed cat.

if you are going to be swapping over to Lantus next Thursday, could I suggest you set up a Spreadsheet and put in all the data you have for the caninsulin and then the Lantus. We aren’t able to help unless there is a SS.
    Also if you could set up your signature...only takes a couple of minutes, that will tell us all about Monty and we won’t have to keep asking you the same questions.
    The links for both of these things and some other information are in this link.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/new-how-you-can-help-us-help-you.216696/

3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your first test! To help with the testing, go to the test spot multiple times a day and just give a treat, maybe rub his ear, but don’t test. Hopefully soon he will associate the spot with treats

4. Tom & Monty

Tom & Monty Member

My spreadsheet and signature has been set up. I've only started logging things today after doing a while load of reading on these forums and elsewhere. In the notes for today's injection I've written a short clinical history.

I think he's forgiven the burrito earlier lol:

[​IMG]

5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Great photo!
    Well done getting the SS and signature set up!

6. Tom & Monty

Tom & Monty Member

7. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Test stress? what stress? :p

8. Tom & Monty

Tom & Monty Member

His PMPS failed utterly. I made 4 attempts, the first 2 failed because he didn't bleed enough, the second two failed because of an E-5 error on my glucometer (insufficient sample), however there was plenty of sample, the test strip was red! I'm considering a different glucometer that is more reliable and requires a smaller sample.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  9. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

I remember getting errors for too much blood! Its a delicate balance to be sure.:rolleyes:

10. Tom & Monty

Tom & Monty Member

I've bought the AlphaTrak 2 starter kit, let's see if it's easier to use than the centrivet

Sharon14 and jt and trouble (GA) like this.
  11. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Alpha takes a very small amount. :) I've used this meter for 4 years. Almost never get error readings.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.