Testing Schedule Questions

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tina and Boozle, Dec 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tina and Boozle

Tina and Boozle Member

So . . . This will be Boozie's first full day home. Frank was usually all over the place, so it was not unusual for him to be tested quite a bit through the day, based on what PS looked like. They ran a curve when he went to the doc and if I understood them correctly, a curve over the next week may not give us much valuable information, but, we would still need to test him PS, twice a day. I am hard-headed, so I have been testing him at +2 and +4 anyway. With a BG of 361 this afternoon, I am thinking we need to figure out a testing schedule, but this boy is pretty sick and since he is new to this, it stresses him out.

He isn't eating so well and is experiencing bouts of nausea, which we have given him Cerenia for. Poor kitty will lay here for a while with me, then jump down on the floor and lie down like a drunk person trying to get the world to stop spinning, or so I have been told. Although he has improved since Monday, I see where the vet is concerned about underlying issues.

I think I remember there being charts or something, based on the insulin type, that showed their actions through the dosing period, but I can't seem to locate them. Was that here? I read something about the peak action of proZinc being around +5 to +7. Am I remembering correctly that +6 is the best time to test between PSs?

TLDR: I'm just trying to figure out the best baseline testing schedule for Boozie on ProZinc that isn't going to stress him out and do more harm than good.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome! :) Congratulations on testing his BG at home! Here's the basic testing routine we recommend. It ties in with how we tweak doses and keep a spreadsheet:
    1. test every day AM and PM before feeding and injecting (no food at least 2 hours before) to see if the planned dose is safe
    2. test at least once near mid cycle or at bedtime daily to see how low the BG goes
    3. do extra tests on days off to fill in the response picture
    4. if indicated by consistently high numbers on your spreadsheet, increase the dose by no more than 0.25 u at a time so you don't accidentally go right past a good dose
    5. post here for advice whenever you're confused or unsure of what to do.
    This is useful: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

There's a lot of good info on ProZinc dosing here: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...prozinc-pzi-insulin-for-diabetic-cats.164995/

3. Tina and Boozle

Tina and Boozle Member

Ah, yes! Maybe I saw the charts somewhere else, but that was precisely the information I was looking for. Thank you, Kris!

Kris & Teasel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.