Testing Strips

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by G & I, Dec 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G & I

G & I Member

I have been using the Zoetis test strips reflecting a code on the bottle of 38 for cats. I just noted a bottle I recently opened has a code of 7 for cats. Is this correct or have I gotten a different item. Both bottles say for for Alpha Trak 2. Unfortunately this could be why Goma's bgs were beginning to look so good. Do I just change the code number in the meter for the different strip? I can't believe I messed this up again...I just thought the strips would all be the same. I did not realize there would be a different code for the same type strip for the same meter. Why would the company do that? They should know there are dummies like me out there. At my age I should know better than to assume anything.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  2. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Steph & Quintus & L & O Well-Known Member

It's correct. Code for cats can be 37, 38, or 7. I mixed up 37 and 38 strips and it didn't change much. What you can do is do the next test, then change the code on the meter, and test again, and see how different the two readings are. I'm not sure it will have had that much of an impact, but you have the means to check!

3. G & I

G & I Member

Thank you for clarification of the three codes I can expect to see. I'll certainly be more careful from here on. Everyone here is such a wealth of information. I am trying to get up to date and then something like this appears... Thank you again.

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

You have to check the code on the bottle each time.

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. Steph & Quintus & L & O

That is, once you realise there is such a thing as a code on the bottle -- that's how I got caught the first time!

JanetNJ likes this.
  6. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

You must check the code on the bottle and set your meter accordingly every time you get a new vial of strips. Those numbers are NOT the only numbers you could see. I have had vials with other numbers than those listed here; right now I have a 92 and a 93. Just check what the vial says for cats each time.

Critter Mom likes this.
  7. G & I

G & I Member

I will be checking each and every vial as I open from here on. Now that I realize the numbers can change. Didn't know that. Now I do. Thanks for pointing out there can be a multitude of numbers on the vials. I'm just hoping this mistake on my part doesn't impact Goma.

8. Steph & Quintus & L & O

You know what I did? Emptied the end of the old vial into the new one. And 20 strips in realised the numbers were different. And that I had a mix of strips :)

9. FurBabiesMama

Oops. :eek:

10. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Skill! :D

Mogs

11. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Time to try 2.25 u I think. Her numbers are still high on 2.0 u. I wouldn't stay at an ineffective dose more than 3 days maximum. She'll have a bigger problem with glucose toxicity and the threat of ketones is more pronounced. What do you think?

12. JanetNJ

If it were my cat I'd do 2.5 at this point.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  13. Kris & Teasel

I actually agree with Janet but didn't want to frighten you! ;)

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  14. JanetNJ

Ha ha Ill scare her for you.

Noah & me (GA) and Kris & Teasel like this.
  15. G & I

G & I Member

Began 2.25 this morning. Hopefully this will help her out.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  16. G & I

G & I Member

With no where to go to a "qualified" vet in case of any emergency I have gone to 2.25 this morning. Will monitor and make another decision in a few days.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    Critter Mom likes this.
  17. JanetNJ

You are so far from too low that 2.5 is a pretty safe bet. It may take you to safer yellow numbers though. With these super high numbers she's more likely to develope ketones, and THAT will require expert care and hospitalization to treat. so don't stall too long in raising the dose.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  18. Kris & Teasel

I'm glad to see those BG numbers improving! :) You might still see some black from bouncing but don't panic. As Janet said, keeping her at too low a dose for too long is the more immediate concern. I sense that you're worried that you wouldn't know what to do if her BG dropped lower than you're used to (low blue or dark green) and that's why you're tying your increases to availability of vet attention. If you have some higher carb food, honey or other sugary syrup at home we can coach you through what to do. It's another aspect of treating feline diabetes that you can learn to deal with yourself. Testing her BG is the key to avoiding situations of scary hypo that would need vet intervention.

19. FurBabiesMama

It's so nice to see some colors other than black and red! After a few cycles at 2.25, I think you'll be ready to go to 2.50 so you can see even better numbers. :)

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.