Testing the Paw Pads

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by lovey11, Aug 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lovey11

lovey11 Well-Known Member

I have a newly diagnosed cat. Is it Ok if I use the paws to test. I don't think I can handle the ear yet. My vet's techs and vet don't do the ear prick. I need someone to show me how.

2. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

the paw pads are fine to test. some will say you risk infection by doing so because of the litterbox but in all my years here i don't know of anyone who's kitty ended up with an infection. the hole is itty bitty and closes up quick. you can rub the paw pad before and after to clean them if it worries you.

while there have been several paw testers here over the years there's not a ton so finding someone local to show you how to do it might be difficult. it might be easier to find someone to help you with the ear testing though. what city, state do you live in or near? don't post exact addresses or too specific info as this is the internet. just city and state and we can see if someone is near then in private you can share the exact address.

fwiw, Heather of Heather and Raja made a video a while back of her paw testing Raja
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fRK7QY7ZEk

i think a few others have too over the years but i know Heather from years back on here so that's the one that always comes to mind. :)

eta: a quick search on youtube yielded some more videos of various ways of testing
    http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... c1hpAmKF6w

3. lovey11

Thank you so much!! Your help was much appreciated. I live in Long Island, New York.

4. lovey11

thanks for the websites as well.

5. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

I know Kat and Gobbles used to do it - i sent her a message to ask. She applied neosporin to the pads afterward to prevent infection.

6. TheBowHuntress

TheBowHuntress Well-Known Member

HI & Welcome!

I'm Kat that Wendy referred to. I used to test Gobbles on his pawpads regularly the first few months (he is now in remission), and then went back and forth between ears and paw pads a few months in.

My method: Sit on the floor with kitty sitting on your lap, facing out. Rub the paw pad a little, put a little triple antibiotic w/pain relief on, poke quickly, "milk" blood and test, then apply a little pressure for about 10 seconds, then put more antibiotic on. Put the antibiotic on even if you don't draw blood.

Good luck!

7. lovey11

Hi Kat. That's wonderful that Gobbles is in remission. My cat licks the paw pad after I test. Will antibiotic harm a cat if he licks it?

Thanks again for help with the method. I have trouble testing without one holding and the other pricking. Can you recommend a lancet that might be easier on the cat?

Have a good night

8. lovey11

Gobbles is cute. Is that a harness in the picture? Does he like to go outside?

9. TheBowHuntress

I don't know, Catherine. I'm going to send a message to a friend to see if she can answer your question. Hang tight. It would seem to me that it might...but I could be wrong.

I used a 28 gauge lancet because it is thicker. One other tip: if you don't get blood with the first poke, do another poke close to the area of the first poke, and it seems like it makes them bleed easier....and you're welcome!

10. TheBowHuntress

Gee thanks! Yes, that's a leather harness. I've since switched to a nylon one because the leather stretched....and am thinking of buying a third one (made especially for cats at http://www.metpet.com). I think he's cute too--cuteness thing on this side of the galaxy. He does like to go outside and wanders so I either walk him or connect his lead (it's 20 feet) to the clothes line.

11. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Take a look at the ingredients on the list.

From Wikipedia: Neosporin
    "The original ointment contains three different antibiotics:
    bacitracin,
    neomycin, and
    polymyxin B,
    in a relatively low molecular weight patented base of cocoa butter, cottonseed oil, sodium pyruvate, tocopheryl acetate, and petroleum jelly."

- tocopheryl acetate - Vit E
    - sodium pyruvate - maybe protects against oxidative injury?

The ingredient that is added in the pain relief version is Pramocaine

I suspect trace amounts aren't a problem; you wouldn't want to leave a glob on there because the Bacitracin is toxic..

12. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Only out on a very small amount, like a smear with your finger and wipe it off after lightly. That way only a microscopic bit gets on.

13. lovey11

Ok, that sounds good

thank you for your advice.

14. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Nice numbers yesterday. you might want to try and get a mid night cycle test - if he is dropping to 97 during the day he could have a lower drop at night! (many cats do)

15. lovey11

Thanks for the input. Do you think that may be why my preshots are high? Do you think my cat could have an earlier nadir, such as 4 or 5 hours where she is lower.

I appreciate any input.

Thanks

16. lovey11

I was thinking of trying a smidge less insulin now.

17. lovey11

Should preshot be 250 and under

18. lovey11

When I gave 1.5 dose the insulin would last longer. For the evening my PMPs would be in the 100's at 1.25 it is so high. So I am a little confused.

19. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

The nadir for ProZinc is often around +5.

20. lovey11

Thanks for the information. I will test around that time. How is Dusty doing this week? He was diagnosed recently like my cat. I was reading some of your notes.

21. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Some geek speak here: A larger dose of insulin has a volume to surface area ratio that results in slightly slower absorption compared to a smaller dose. That might explain some of what you've observed.

I just updated Dusty here. His diabetes seems to be doing well, so far.

22. lovey11

Preening himself is a good sign. I am glad he is doing better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.