GA Thabbo :'(

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Thabbo, Mar 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thabbo

Thabbo Member

Hi ... I haven't been on here in a while. I tried to control Thabbo's diabetes and things looked a little better for while, but now I am at the point to make a very tough decision. Thabbo's skin started tearing open badly yesterday (palm size), he was diagnosed with feline fragile skin syndrome and cushing's today :(
    there is no way to suture or even bandage the wound, because the skin is too fragile, it is s stable as wet toilet paper, there is only a very slim chance, that his wound might get better and it would require him to stay in a kennel for weeks... and there are more spots of concern on the other side of his body.
    I started writing this because I did not know if I should make the decision now, if I should try or if I just should wait a few more days ... or if I am ready for it, but reading this tells me the answer :( I promised my pets to not let them suffer ... oh boy this is so hard

2. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry to hear that. What a horrendous thing to have happen. I think only you know the right decision for Thabbo. Sending vines for you and Thabbo today.

Thabbo likes this.
  3. ohiogal

ohiogal Member

{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}

The decision is never easy, but Thabbo knows you don't want him to suffer and really you're setting him free from a body that doesn't work any more. If you have a vet you can trust you can always ask them what they'd do.

The wisdom I read on another website is, "Better a day too soon than a minute too late." You're a great kitty parent to Thabbo and he knows you love him. Letting him go romp over the rainbow bridge where there's no pain or fatigue is the most loving thing you can do for him. {{{{{{{more hugs!!}}}}}}}}}

Thabbo and Sparkle like this.
  4. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

I am so so sorry to hear that you are facing this situation.

My Tuxie is early Cushing's but has not reached the fragile skin stage. From talking with a few other members who had Cushing's cats, once the skin starts tearing it is time to make a very painful decision. My heart goes out to you and Thabbo. Sending prayers and strength vibes to help you through this time.

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

Thabbo likes this.
  5. ja9390

ja9390 Member

What a horrible thing to have to go through. I am so very sorry. I think you already have your mind made up, and that is the decision that I would make as well, without a doubt in my mind. He knows that you would never do anything to cause him intentional pain. He knows that. To even wait a few days would open him up to the possibility of a massive infection. Like others have said, it is better to be a day too soon than a minute too late. You can make it through this. Everybody hates this part...we are here and thinking of your baby.

Thabbo likes this.
  6. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry to hear about Thabbo's predicament and diagnosis.

My heart goes out to you. Sending prayers for you both ...

:bighug:

Mogs

Thabbo likes this.
  7. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA) Well-Known Member

Much love your way. :bighug:

Thabbo likes this.
  8. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

There is a human disease/condition that parallels this illness in cats. Several documentaries have been done about it, and it's seriously devastating. You do what you have to do, and do it without looking back. The fact that you will allow your kitty a merciful release after careful consideration, hands you a very special award..that of Compassionate Caregiver. It's the hardest duty conscientious owners have.

Blessings on your Thabbo.

9. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry. Sending Prayers to help you in this difficult time:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Thabbo likes this.
  10. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

So sorry you have to go through it. You will do what is best.:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Thabbo likes this.
  11. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

no words...:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Thabbo likes this.
  12. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I just don't have the words to tell you how sorry I am for you and Thabbo. My heart goes out to you. Thabbo trusts you to make the right decision, whatever it may be, and loves you for it. Sending prayers, strength and hugs.

Lucy :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Thabbo likes this.
  13. Asrael

Asrael Well-Known Member

Sending so much love and light your way. Thabbo knows how much you love him, and knows you will do the best for him. So much love and light :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Thabbo likes this.
  14. Thabbo

Thabbo Member

Thank you all for your kind words.... I really struggled with this decision, but Thabbo let me know that it was the right one. When we walked into the vet's office he completely calmed down and totally relaxed.... he never did that before ... I miss him so much

15. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

My heart breaks for you. You have given the ultimate gift of love in letting Thabbo go and be free from the pain. May memories of your happy times and special times give you peace, comfort and strength at this very sad time,

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

Thabbo likes this.
  16. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

I am so sorry for your loss. I am thankful for you that it was peaceful for him. cat_wings>o May he play up a storm in heaven!

Thabbo likes this.
  17. ja9390

ja9390 Member

You did great and you did the right thing! You allowed him to go when it was time for him to go, and he so knows all that you've done for him. Thinking of you and your now happy and free precious baby.

Thabbo likes this.
  18. Critter Mom

Sending prayers for comfort and tears for your loss. My heart goes out to you. :bighug:

Thabbo likes this.
  19. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm SO sorry it was Thabbo's time to cross....BIG HUGE looooooooong hug. Remember, he's not gone - you just have to hug him differently.

Soar high on your new angel wings sweet boy...landing softly back in Mama's broken heart...

More hugs and prayers for calm and comfort,

Thabbo and ja9390 like this.
  20. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

I am so sorry..... fly free and land softly sweet Thabbocat_wings>o

Thabbo likes this.
  21. Liz & IttyBit

Liz & IttyBit Member

I'm so sorry for you loss. Praying that soon you can think of him with smiles instead of tears.

Thabbo likes this.
  22. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

I'm sorry. Most of us know how hard this is. Wishing you peace. It is the decision I would have made.

Thabbo likes this.
  23. Melissa and Rascal

Melissa and Rascal Member

I am so very, very sorry. I haven't been here in a while, but I remember Thabbo from when I first came on a lot. Poor little guy. So glad he's free of these awful diseases now and rolling in heaven's catnip. I hope your broken heart will heal, in part by knowing your love for him allowed you to help release him from his suffering. Always such a difficult choice though. Hugs to you!

Thabbo likes this.
  24. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Oh Karen....I am so very sorry.......I know how much you worked to manage his diabetes and give him a great QOL. Your love has always been apparent.

Fly free, Thabbo. image.png

Thabbo likes this.
  25. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

{{{Karen}}}

I, too, remember when you and Thabbo first joined FDMB. I'm so very sad to read that he has crossed. I absolutely agree that you made the best choice for him, and that was the most loving and generous thing you could have done. Having recently lost two of my precious babies, I understand what you are going through, and my heart aches with yours. Be kind to yourself and grieve in your way and your time. We're all here for you if you need us. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Fly free, sweet Thabbo, and land softly.

Thabbo likes this.
  26. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Requiem aeternum, Thabbo.
    {{hugs}}

Thabbo likes this.
  27. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

(((((Karen))))) I'm so sorry to hear this. Cushing's is a difficult disease. You have my deepest sympathy and I hope it helps to know that you are surrounded by people who understand.

Fly free little Thabbo, and land softly. You are loved.

Thabbo likes this.
  28. Hedwig and Stef

Hedwig and Stef Member

I know you don't know me, but I wanted to send you my love and thoughts. I am so very sorry to hear of your Thabbo's passing. I know how hard it is to make that decision. He will always be with you and he knew how very loved he was. :rb_icon:

Thabbo likes this.
  29. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

(((Karen))) My deepest sympathy. I am sorry you had to make that tough decision. :bighug::bighug: You have been doing an amazing job managing Thabbo's diabetes. I hope he sends you a message when he makes it to the Bridge.

Thabbo likes this.
  30. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I am so, so sorry for your loss. Fly free, beloved Thabbo cat_wings>o

Thabbo likes this.
  31. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

(((Karen))) I'm so sorry. Thabbo knows how much you love him.
    He will be at The Bridge playing and happy and comfortable and whole, waiting for your to join him, someday.

Fly Free Beautiful Thabbo.

Thabbo likes this.
  32. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

I am so very sorry, Karen. No doubt Thabbo will always live on in your heart. Hugs and prayers to you...

Thabbo likes this.
  33. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

((((Karen))))

Making this decision is gut wrenching even when you know in your heart of hearts that it is the kindest parting gift you can give to a companion you adore. Too many of us have been in your position recently. I am glad that Thabo let you know that you made the right decision and I hope you can be as at peace with your decision as he is. I hope he sends you a sign to let you know he is safe and has found his friends waiting at the Bridge.

Fly free and land softly little one. You friends from Lantus Land will be there to greet you until you are reunited with the one you love best.

Thabbo likes this.
  34. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

Karen, I'm so sorry it was time for you to let Thabbo go. :( It's always so hard. But he knew he was loved, and trusted you, and you didn't let him down.

Now he can run, fly and play with the other kitties waiting there. No more pain. :rb_icon:cat_wings>o

Thabbo likes this.
  35. AZJenks

AZJenks Well-Known Member

May the love you shared connect you always. Fly Free Thaboo!

Thabbo likes this.
  36. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry Karen. I have been stalking Thabbo's spreadsheet and wondered if all was well. Letting him go was a very precious gift. I have no doubt that you made the right decision I have seen the demise of several cushings kitties on the board and it isn't pretty. You did the most wonderful brave and loving thing for him. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

RIP Thabbo:rb_icon:

Thabbo likes this.
  37. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

So sorry for your loss :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Thabbo likes this.
  38. Thabbo

Thabbo Member

Thank you all for your kind words, they really mean a lot to me.
    Thank you for being here and helping all these cats and their beans. I would have been totally lost without your help and I'm sure Thabbo would not have stayed as long as he did without your help.

39. Critter Mom

Thinking of you ...

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

40. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry. You did the most loving thing in letting him go so he wouldn't be in pain. Fly free Thabbo. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

41. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

May you get stronger with each day and remember all the good and loving times you have had with Thabbo through the years.

Thabbo likes this.
  42. Megan & Oren

Megan & Oren Member

the hardest, kindest decision we have to make. I'm so sorry for the pain you are feeling, at ending Thabbo's pain. May your loving memories eventually bring only smiles. RIP sweet Thabbo, many kitties await you at the bridge. Hugs and peace to you. :bighug::bighug:

Thabbo likes this.
  43. Tara & Ivana (GA)

Tara & Ivana (GA) Well-Known Member

I realised I hadn't seen a Thabbo post for ages, so did a search for you and found this :( I'm so sorry to hear of Thabbo's passing, you gave him such a great gift of an end to his suffering. It's been a while since you posted this, so I hope you're doing better now Karen :bighug:

44. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Sending purrs and prayers at this difficult time.

45. DustBunnyMomma

DustBunnyMomma Member

I am so sorry for your loss! Im, too, sending love your way.:bighug:

46. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Oh, ((((Karen)))), I am so very sorry to hear about Thabbo....
    Bless you for helping him across the bridge from this world to the next. It was his time. And you were his helping angel.
    Sending huge hugs to you from the UK.

Fly free, sweet spirit-Thabbo. Send Karen a sign that all is well...

Eliz x

47. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

It's such a hard decision, but it also can be the most merciful decision. I'm sorry you had to let your dear Thabbo go. My deepest condolences.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.