Thank you elizabeth and bertie

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Boo and Me, Feb 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boo and Me

Boo and Me New Member

thanks so much for the information. Boos first fructosamine level on Jan 30 was in the 500 range. He was put on 2 units of PZI bid. On feb 13 level was in the 800 range and insulin was increased to 3 units bid. I think I was so worried about him having a hypoglycemic episode that I over compensated with food. Now, not so much and his excessive thirst and urination are subsiding. He has an appt. for fruct. level this Friday, but I'd like to begin testing his daily glucose level today to be safe. I have been gradually changing his diet. He is more alert and not so hungry and thirsty. Hope springs!

KPassa likes this.
  2. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi Deb,

What jumps out at me from your post above is the jump in fructosamine result over a 2 week period from 500 to 800.
    A fructosamine test gives a sort of average of blood glucose values over the preceding couple of weeks; but it isn't able to show any of the highs and lows along the way. And a fructosamine number isn't the same as a blood glucose test number (I think there may be a conversion chart on the forum somewhere, but I'm not sure where...sorry....)

Sometimes, an insulin dose that is too high can cause blood glucose levels to rise. If the blood glucose drops lower than the cat's body is comfortable with the liver can release stored glucose into the bloodstream, and also counter-regulatory hormones that can keep the blood glucose high for a time. It's a protection mechanism.
    It is possible (but by no means certain) that this is what's going on with Boo. It would be great to be able to see some 'real time' blood glucose results...

Well done for wanting to hometest Boo. That's just what is needed here. And we can help you learn to do that. :cat:

What are you feeding Boo at the moment?

Eliz

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  3. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Deb,
    Here's the link to the FDMB page of info, tips, tricks, and little videos on hometesting:
    Hometesting Links and Tips

In a nutshell, hometesting involves pricking the outer edge of the cat's ear to get a teensy droplet of blood, transferring that to a test strip in a glucose meter, and waiting for the meter to count down and give the result. Like anything new it can take a few goes to get the hang of it, so do be patient with yourself.
    Most of us reward our cats with a cuddle or a low carb treat for each test and attempted test; and they can very quickly learn that 'test = yummy treat time'.

Ears bleed much more easily when they are warm.
    Massaging the ear briefly can increase blood flow. Or some folks use a 'rice sock' (see link above) or a pill bottle filled with warm water to hold inside the ear to warm it.

It helps to hold something against the inside of the ear while you are pricking the outside, the lancet needs something to resist, otherwise it can push the ear away. You can use a piece of folded tissue, or cotton wool, or (as I do) just a finger tip; but you may also prick your own finger that way sometimes...;)

Massaging immediately below the ear prick can 'milk' more blood out. The blood flow runs from the tip of the ear downwards, so massaging below the ear prick will help you catch some of that blood that's on the way down.

Doing two ear pricks very close together can often produce enough for a test where a single ear prick seems to have not produced enough.

A teesny weensy smidge of vaseline on the outer edge of the ear will help the blood to 'bead up' and stop it disappearing into the fur.

Some cats are OK with being held or restrained, and some aren't. Mine isn't, so I crumble a few treats and test him while he's munching on those.

It is well worth practicing on yourself or another willing human volunteer, just to get the hang of the actual testing process. But remember that your cat will not feel the test like you do. When we prick our fingers it can sting just a little, but fingers have evolved to be sensitive; there are very few nerve endings in the outer edge of the cat's ear.
    Don't be discouraged if you don't get a successful test the first time. You may feel that you don't have enough hands at first, but it does soon get easier; and when you get the hang of it a test can be done in just seconds.

Please do post if you need any help.

Eliz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.