Thank you for letting me join this group. Newbie with all of this

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Phyllis H., Sep 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phyllis H.

Phyllis H. New Member

hi! This is all new to me. My male cat Toby, 11 years old was just diagnosed with diabetes. We also have his sister Tia same age that is in great health. We go back to the vet tomorrow to learn all about this and start with insulin injections. I'm so nervous with all of this. Especially with plans we have already made to fly out of state Christmas week. So many questions to discuss with the vet. Wish me luck!

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Good morning and welcome Phyllis, Toby and Tia. We all started at the beginning and it is a lot to learn at first. There is great information here on the board, you might start with the information on the home page "Getting Started" and "Education". Just a few FYIs: low carb wet food is best for all cats, especially our sugar cats. There is a food chart in a yellow tagged sticky at the top of the Main Forum. The "prescription" food from the vet is not low carb, is expensive and there are many better alternatives. A change from dry to low carb wet food, and less than two weeks of insulin support helped Idjit into remission. Second, home testing. Many vets do not suggest or support home testing, but it's one of the best tools you can use to keep Toby safe. Testing lets you know it's safe to give the insulin, and lets you track BG (blood glucose) at different times of the day. It can help prevent a hypoglycemic event, and if that ever happens, allows you to continue to test and treat that low blood sugar right then, at home.
    Please do start reading, and learning. There is a wealth of information here, and a caring supportive community of members ready to help.
    You should start posting in the Main Forum now, so that more members can see and respond. This forum is more like the welcome mat on the front porch, and it's just a starting point. I look forward to a picture of Toby, and Tia too! :cat:

3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

4. Phyllis H.

Phyllis H. New Member

Thank you for welcoming me! I will be going for Toby's second trip to the vet tomorrow morning to learn about giving injections. I'm very nervous. wish me luck!

5. Idjit's mom

Now there's a couple of cute kitties! I do wish you luck, you are going to be ok. I absolutely remember being very nervous, the only bad part of that is that our cats really pick up on that. So, try to relax, so Toby can relax. We can offer some tips on injections, as well as food and testing. Many members here have been caring for their sugar cats for a very long time, and we are all invested in sharing whatever we have learned along the way.

6. Idjit's mom

Good morning Phyllis, I got your PM asking about how to navigate the board. Here is a link to the MAIN FORUM. Just click on the capital letters and you will be there. It won't take long for you to figure out where things are, and members are very good at providing links to answers to questions and concerns. Be sure to copy and paste your questions about when to inject the insulin you asked in the private conversation into a new thread in the Main Forum.

This is the link for the page with the forum list: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/
    Just scroll down and take a look at the list, there are the sections separated in a pink color (at least on my computer), the second section contains the Welcome to the Group, the Main Forum and the Feline Health FAQs. You have posted in the first and now are ready to post in the second. The third is an important one, be sure to start reading there. Read the info on hypos, print out the How To Treat Hypos, and do make up your Hypo Tool Box. Hopefully you will never need either, but it's better safe than sorry. I wasn't prepared when Idjit's blood sugar did dip a bit low, not dangerous, but I was new and it scared the socks off me! But, I caught it because I was home testing his blood and all ended very well.

Let us help you learn about a proper diet, home testing, how insulin works and insulin treatment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.