Thank you for this forum

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by larrale, Apr 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larrale

larrale New Member

Hello everybody,

My cat Maialen was diagnosed with diabetes 4 years ago. At that time my english was still worst than it is now, and I didn´t find any relevant information on the web in Spanish (we live in Costa Rica).

According to the vet her need of insulin has been decreasing in the last months. No she is taking only one unit a day, while 4 years ago she was taking 4 units twice a day. Thats why some weeks ago I started seeking for new feeding options hoping that she could do without insulin, and thats how I arrived here. After reading a lot of the information here, I feel so irresponsible... Since she was diagnosed she has been eating only dry w/d as the vet prescribed and now I'm horrified of it's amount of carbs!

I'll buy a glucometer and I'll change her food as soon as I'm sure I'm able to make the home test. Which glucometer do you advice me to buy?

Thanks again.

Critter Mom likes this.
  2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome.
    What meters are available in Costa Rica?
    Most meters will work fine. Some require as little as 0.3 microliters of blood. Some require more. The real judge is how much the strips cost.

3. larrale

larrale New Member

I´m still searching, but for the moment I've found Accu Chek (not aviva, but active), Element and On Call Plus, Thank you!

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Accu Chek is a reputable brand. Check how much the test strips are before you buy. You may be able to get them online much cheaper. That will be an ongoing expense so don't get one where the strips are a lot more expensive than most others.

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. scoobydoox

scoobydoox Member

hello and welcome.

6. scoobydoox

scoobydoox Member

how much are the test strips for each of those you named

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.