Thank you for this website

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Marie & Earl, Feb 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marie & Earl

Marie & Earl Member

I would like very much to thank the creators and contributors of this website. It has been instrumental in providing me with life saving information for my cat, Earl, and for helping me to "take a breath" and proceed with the business of taking care of Earl in an informed, intelligent manner. Earl is my second cat to come down with diabetes. My first cat was diagnosed in the 1980's, before this website even existed. I can still remember the agony of deciding what to do with my first diabetic cat, because I felt that a life of needles and insulin would be too painful for him. But, I decided to take it day by day and was very pleasantly surprised to find that cats don't really seem to feel the insulin shots and that the whole process was a lot easier than I thought it would be, both for me, and for my cat. Even without the benefit of home testing this cat (who strayed to my farm) lived eight years with his diabetes. As he was about ten years old when he was first diagnosed, he lived a long life.

Even though I'd been through it before, when my then eight year old Earl was diagnosed with diabetes about two years ago, I still panicked about it. I knew that we would proceed with the treatment, but also immediately began searching the internet, where I was thrilled to find your site. I learned home testing from you, and this was such a relief. No longer did I have to worry about what his blood glucose level was. I could know exactly what it was. This was a huge step towards living with diabetes in a more worry free manner. I am also lucky to have a vet that is skilled and supportive of home testing.

I do have a question that I would appreciate any and all advice. My husband and I need to be out of town for three days to attend the college graduation of our goddaughter. Earl is an extremely timid cat and has a terrible time when he is boarded at the vet's. In fact, we have stopped doing that and now take Earl along when we visit family. We cannot take Earl along on this trip. Our options are to (1) leave him at home, getting no insulin, or (2) to take him to the vet's where he will be traumatized, but getting insulin. Any advice ??

Thank you again!

2. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Hi Marie and welcome :D So glad you found us this time around!

Is there anyone who can give earl his shots at all?

Before we can even guess as to the right course of action, could you tell us more about yourselves? Dose, food, hometesting or not, other medical conditions....it may be that one of us lives nearby and could help out so even consider letting us know your general location.

Jen

3. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

You sound like a great sugar Mom, Marie. Is there perhaps a vet tech at your vet's office you could hire to come over to take care of Earl?

4. Marie & Earl

Marie & Earl Member

Thank you Jen, for your generous offer. But we have no one that feels comfortable enough to give insulin shots, and also, Earl, while being very comfortable and loving towards us, is extremely timid with other people. Unless he was caged, no one else could catch him to deliver the insulin shots.

As for more about us, Earl is on 3 units of Vetsulin twice a day. He is also on Purina DM. Because of the warnings about Vetsulin we have begun home testing every day or every other day. I do have concerns about the Vetsulin, but on the plus side it has been the only insulin we have used that has taken his blood glucose levels down into the 100-200 level. But I still think I might be wise to request an insulin change. It is something that I am seriously thinking about. Earl used to be on PZI.

Earl has no other health issues. As I mentioned before, he is very timid, part feral, but for us he is a little sweetheart that loves to give kisses. In fact, when we do our home testing, we do it on the same chair every time and we make it into a cuddle/brushing session which he just loves. He purrs through the whole process. In fact, all we have to do is say "Earl, we need some of your blood" and he will hop up onto his chair, and start purring. He also loves the other cats in our home.

I hope this information helps. I am torn between leaving him at home during our trip, where he will be happy, but not getting insulin, or taking him to the vet's where he will be miserable, but getting his insulin.

Thanks again.

5. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Given that info, honestly, I don't know what to suggest. Here are the risks as I see:

1. stay home, no insulin, 3 days....numbers go higher, he feels like crap, may stop eating, may develop ketones and be really quite sick by the time you get home. Or, he may just go higher and not get sick but be at risk for it.

2. goes to vet, is miserable, but they can test him and ensure he gets his insulin and can handle any emergencies.....now, the stress may make him inappetant and put him at risk, the stress may raise his blood glucose levels...but again, they can handle emergencies right?

ok, I've talked myself into boarding as what I'd suggest...perhaps with some very mild sedatives???? We need some advice from Jess or Jojo I think... (vet techs)

Jen

6. Marie & Earl

Marie & Earl Member

Thank you, Jen. I appreciate your thoughtful analysis, and from what you said, I think I'm leaning in the same direction that you are, too. Boarding him at the vet's. There are other places in town that do cat boarding, that might be quieter, but I have read horror stories about them giving the wrong doses of insulin - leading to fatal results.

Thank you also to Venita for your advice - it is all appreciated!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.