Thank you for welcoming us

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lita B, Mar 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lita B

Lita B New Member

Hello, my name is Lita and my kitty is Butters. Butters was diagnosed with diabetes today. Butters is 9 years old.
    We have our first "intro to treatment" meeting on Friday afternoon. I am concerned about this for a few reasons. My vet says he only prescribes PZI insulin. This is quite expensive. Roughly $120 per vial. I have found several different brands that run $40 dollars a vial. I want Butters to feel better. This will put a financial strain on our family. My question is this, is it necessary to use the higher priced product? If so I will make it happen. The reviews others have posted on the other insulin sites seem to feel their brands work perfectly well. I would be grateful for your advice, thank you! Sincerely, Lita

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Lita, welcome to you and Butters. PZI is a very good insulin for cats. The cheaper insulins can drop the cats glucose hard and fast, and don't usually last long so the glucose goes back up high by the next shot time. If you can work it, I recommend sticking with the PZI. The most important thing you can do to help Butters is to learn to test her blood glucose. It's easy to do and the only way to know if it's safe to give insulin. That, along with a change to low carb food, will help Butters feel better. We can help offset the high cost of insulin with lots of money saving tips on food, testing and other things. Come to the Main Health Forum and ask any questions you have, we'll be happy to help!

3. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome Lita and Butters!
    I felt the same way a couple months ago when my kitty was diagnosed but we are doing very good on ProZinc, as are some other new members. Keep in mind it's not (typically) going to be $120 every month. I am starting month 3 on the first vial, so it comes down to about $30-40 a month for the insulin. How long the insulin can last will also depend on how much your kitty will need, most of us get started on 1 - 1.5U twice a day. There is also no need to spend money on the prescription diets (I overwhelmed myself on diagnosis day and didn't have much time to look at other food options so I bought some of the DM food) and there are some other ways to help people on a budget care for their sugar kitty.

Like Sharon said, come on over to the Main Health Forum :cat: Tons of friendly people to help and support Butters and YOU :bighug:

4. PurrKat

PurrKat New Member

:bighug: Welcome.
    I appreciated my vet (and my doctors) offering options and asking me what I want. I too have financial concerns and my cat did very well for several years on the least cost Insulin and also easiest to replenish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.