Thankful to find this site...and I'm going to have so many questions!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by saturdaycaturday, Sep 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saturdaycaturday

saturdaycaturday New Member

A couple of weeks ago I noticed more pee in the litterbox. Initially I thought the boxes were staying moist because of the high summer humidity levels and heavy rain. Then I noticed that the water bowl was getting emptied faster. I looked at my 4 cats to see if any were acting differently. Bruno seemed hungrier and was waiting for food at mealtimes (usually he would come later) and he was laying around in out of the ordinary places.

I got Bruno in to the vet the next morning and after discussing the symptoms my vet said either diabetes or kidney issues, but with the hunger it was probably diabetes. She did the test right there and he was at 478. She started him on 1 unit of Lantus twice a day and she walked me through how to do home testing. I have had cats who required shots and sub-q fluids in the past so she knew I would be OK with the injections and testing.

We talked briefly about food and she gave me samples of DM dry and canned and MD dry. Then I got home and started my research. I have been trying to absorb as much info from this site as possible in the past 5 days!

I'm trying to switch all of my cats to wet only, but they don't eat enough of the wet at mealtimes and I'm afraid of hepatic lipidosis.

I have so many questions, but I'll post them over at the main section.

This site and forum is so amazing. Thank you in advance to all the long-timers!

Megan and Bruno, Sophie, Archie and Greg!

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome!

saturdaycaturday likes this.
  3. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome, Megan and Bruno, and the whole gang. Bruno is very handsome, looks so debonair in his photo!
    It sure sounds like you have been working steadily and with determination to help Bruno feel better. Yes, please ask questions in the Main Forum, and reading the information available here on the board. I am so glad that your vet supports home testing, it's so important.
    You have your signature in place, and now you can get the spreadsheet going to record the injection and BG data. Here's the link to understanding the spreadsheet and creating it:
    SPREADSHEET

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome. You can leave the wet food out to graze on. Just no food at least 2 hours prior to the preshot test.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.