Thanks for the resource!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by SallyGT, Aug 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SallyGT

SallyGT Member

Hi!

Our cat Sally, roughly 9 years old, was diagnosed in early July. She is a little heavy and we are working on getting the weight down. We've eliminated carbs and switched her over to the homemade raw diet I've seen a mentioned here a lot.

I don't think our vet was very up to speed on diabetes treatment for two reasons: she didn't suggest BG monitoring and recommended a prescription dry food with a bunch of carbs. So, we are trying to manage it largely without her recommendations.

Anyway, we've been testing regularly and haven't had many issues with that or with the shots, thanks to the resources here. I'll post details over in the prozinc subforum to look for specific advice.

Thanks again for the great site filled with helpful people!

JanetNJ likes this.
  2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Good morning and welcome to FDMB. It is a great resource for all kitty parents/care givers. I am so glad to read that you are testing, even though the vet didn't recommend it, plus the diet change. Hooray for you.

It would be very helpful if you would do a little "housekeeping" so that we can better help you help Sally. First, create a signature so that Sally's info is available when you post.

1. Setting up your signature (light grey text under a post). Here's how:
    click on your name in the upper right corner of this page
    click on "signature" in the menu that drops down
    type the following in the box that opens: kitty's name/age/date of diabetes diagnosis/insulin you're using and dosage amount /glucose meter you're using/what (s)he eats/any other meds or health issues (s)he has. You can add your name, and a geographic location (sometimes the country/time zone matters) Be sure to SAVE when you are finished.
    2. Another thing that will help is to set up a spreadsheet like the one we use here. You will see how the trends and patterns emerge, and members can review his/her progress before offering suggestions or advice:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/understanding-the-spreadsheet-grid.156606/

Please fill in the insulin and testing data you have so that we can see what's going on with sweet Sally.

You can post in the Main Health forum if you have general health questions or the Prozinc forum for advice using the insulin.
    Best wishes going forward :cat:

SallyGT likes this.
  3. Jerry dutchboy

Jerry dutchboy Well-Known Member

Big welcome to you and Sally. Idjit's mom has given you the low down on the housekeeping so I'll just keep it at welcome. A lot of folks here have the same issues with their vets and I was one of them although my vet finally advised me to start testing at home after they tried to do a curve on Jerry but he was so stressed out at the vet, with the other cats around him, that they couldn't get a good read on his BG's. I still go to the vets (they are very supportive) for all others issues but as far as managing his diabetes I rely on this forum and the wealth of experience and knowledge of the caring and helpful individuals. I'd be lost without it. I hope this will be your experience as well. The very best of luck to you and Sally and hope to see you around the forum soon.:bighug:

SallyGT likes this.
  4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Wow sounds like you're of to a great start. Welcome

SallyGT likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.