Thanks to all at the FDMB

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by fern727, Jul 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fern727

fern727 New Member

I wrote last week about a fur shot and got an answer immediately. Thanks to all you guys out there!
    I have just started doing in home monitoring of my cat Zazu and her numbers have really come around to the good. She started out on Lantus 12 days ago at 2.5 u bid (her BG was in the mid 300's) and now she is 2.0 u sid and holding below 200 (138 pre-shot on the 26th and and 152 pre-shot tonight) for the past two days. I am hoping this is a trend for the better. I took the advice to put her on wet food immediately after her diagnosis. I also put her Mom and sisters on it as well. I am hoping they won't become diabetic as well. The mom is Siamese and the girls are two Torties and one blue point mostly Siamese-ish. Kinda mixed up parentage...they were born under my house 5 years ago...someone had dumped the Mom...but she came to the right house for sure.
    For all the newbies out there...hang in there! I have learned SO much at this website. My vet is really great and she is most impressed that I am so willing to do all this monitoring at home...most of her diabetic cat clients seem to be too busy to bother. I know it's going to help Zazu and I beat this insidious disorder. Keep up the encouragement!
    Fern727 and Zazu, the Wise and Wonderful

2. housecats4

housecats4 Well-Known Member

Hi Fern Welcome to the best place with the best Angels to help you.... I will have been here just about 2 months my cat Trey 17 lbs of love was DX with diabetes
    I took him off his dry food 3 weeks later his BG was 468 so started coming here and today Trey is trying it without Lantus
    so far he has 39 hours and has started out 85-79 so hang in there.....
    You will be surfing into the green with us .
    Just do a lot of reading and questions and follow the advice here.... {antijinx} LOL Kath & Trey :lol: :D :mrgreen:

Oh and yes it will be worth the loss of sleep :smile:

3. Emmy & Dude

Emmy & Dude Well-Known Member

Congratulations to you, Fern - you are taking charge of your extra sweet furbaby and trying to manage the diabetes - it's a sugar dance and sometimes it goes on for awhile, but it can be done.

Dude was diagnosed 6 years ago and my vet told us that we'd be lucky to keep him a year. He still has his "ups and downs" - literally in numbers - and isn't real easy to regulate - but he's 16 years old and a happy guy and passes his physicals (so far) with flying colors. This board and the people on here - the knowledge that has been given to us and the support - have helped us to keep him around for 6 more years living a fairly normal life - in fact it's a better one because now he gets to go everyplace with us instead of having a "kitty sitter." LOL.

Again, congratulations - may you have many years more with your sweet Zazu. As you can see, we also have a tortie - with typical "tortitude".

Good luck - stay in touch with the board.

Emmy & Dude (& Mittsi too)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.