That's inedible, Teddy!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mary & Stormy Blue, May 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mary & Stormy Blue

Mary & Stormy Blue Member

Now he's gone and done it. Chewed and ATE a portion of metal curling ribbon from one of my Mother's Day presents. I noticed he was vomiting pools of water last night - I just thought he had a hairball to pass....but noooooooooo, this AM, in one of the pools, I found pieces of curling ribbon from one of my presents in a pool of watery vomit. Inch long pieces, well chewed. And he turned up his nose at breakfast and did not beg for bits of dog kibble as he normally does when he sees daughter feeding her dogs.

So off to the vet we go. He has X-Rays and bits of SOMETHING are visible in his intestines. The something is more than likely ribbon. It is also noted that his right kidney is very abnormally shaped, so a full blood panel will be run. He is to return tomorrow for more X-rays to see if the ribbon has moved down further in his intestines..... if it seems to have not moved, he will have abdominal surgery. Total costs today exceeded $560. *sigh*

Pray for Teddy, please..

~M

2. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

oh no. poor teddy.

prayers and good wishes on the way !

keep us posted on his vet visit tomorrow.

((( mary ))))

3. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Those 'metal' ribbons are really probably plastic (mylar).

My Tommy goes after plastic. No plastic grocery bag or zip-lock bag
    is safe.

Some cats have a 'thing' for plastic.

4. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

conor would go after something like that too. The only thing allowed are those sparkle puff balls, and a stick teaser thats shiny but is really paper. Now I try to check things to make sure they are not really metal or plastic before buying it, especially if its shiny..

Crossing all paws for Teddy!!!

5. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Best of luck Mary and Teddy. My Ennis has been opened twice--candy wrapper and twig. Hopefully, Teddy will pass the ribbon and surgery won't be needed. But if it is needed, sooner is better, because the bowel can become necrotic.

6. Mary & Stormy Blue

Per the second set of X-rays this AM, it appears that the ribbon *is* passing thru his intestinal tract safely and not hung up anywhere. I am still awaiting the results from all of the blood work that was done Monday. Three different vets there at the clinic were much more concerned about his deformed right kidney than the swallowed ribbon.

I am trying my best not to be afraid, but two of the vets said that kidney malformations like Teddy's tend to be cancerous. I will update when I have blood test results.

~M

7. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

glad the ribbon is passing through.......

continued prayers and good wishes that teddy's kidney is ok.

8. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Oh no, about the kidney. I will be watching for updates. Teddy and you have my prayers.

9. Mary & Stormy Blue

No cancer markers found in any of the tests. Kidney malformation could be due to birth defect - maybe.
    His urine seems to be concentrating okay for a canned food diet kitty. 1029, (There is supposed to be a "." in there somewhere - not sure where). BUN and creatinine (sp?) levels were both at the mid/high end of normal with the C being 3.9. Phos level was good. Protein trace found in urine. Calcium and other levels all are normal. All of this could be because he is on the same diet as Stormy Blue, (all 6 of them are), 1 large can of Evo 95% Turkey/Chicken mixed with 4 cans of Friskies SD lo-carb canned, 1 large can of water - half fed in the AM, the other half fed in the PM two cats per food bowl.

It is possible that he is starting to have kidney issues - possible, but not certain yet. According to the tests Monday, he is borderline azotemic. He will need monitoring at least once a year, (preferably bi-yearly), and he just turned 6 years old, (guesstimate based on his dentition). He has not yet pooped that I know of for certain, (he could be going at night when I am asleep and he shares litter boxes with his housemates but I've seen no ribbon bits in any poop in the boxes). I will give him some Miralax today and tomorrow and see if that produces some results.

~M

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.