The effects of Bupe

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tina and Gracie (GA), Jun 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tina and Gracie (GA)

Tina and Gracie (GA) Member

So, Gracie received a Bupe injection on Saturday. It seems to be making her feel better. She is eating again, more playful and very affectionate--much more than usual.

Is this common? It would seem that that it would make her more sleepy than anything. Basically, I'm worried that I'm experiencing, or seeing a placebo effect on her.

And the vet indicated that I couldn't get Bupe long term, as it isn't cost effective for long term use. She mentioned something with codeine in it, and how I'd need to take it to a compounding pharmacy , and I would apply the meds on her ear. Does this sound familiar? I left a message for her, as I want the name to do my own research.

I'm in the process of trying to find a new vet anyway, but for the interim I need to keep her comfortable.

2. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Noah gets transdermal BUPE for his teeth. I believe Phoebes gets it too. @Phoebes ?
    As far as "It seems to be making her feel better. She is eating again, more playful and very affectionate--much more than usual." I can personally attest to that.
    I have Trigeminal neuralgia, it's just gruesome. The drugs I take make my life livable.

3. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

I prefer Bupe because it is that happy high instead of a drugged out high like many of the other pain meds. You can often spot a kitty high on bupe because they are the ones rubbing on the front of the kennel or carrier begging for attention.
    I just get buprenorphine from the compounding pharmacy. It is MUCH cheaper that way than from the vet. Something about the regulation and sourcing makes it extremely expensive coming through the vet's office.

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  4. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

Bupe made phoebe sleepy at first with the oral medication but then she decided we were not putting that nasty stuff in her mouth under any circumstance so we opted for the transdermal. It's worked wonders, and no wounds are to be had giving to her. :)

5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I could not use bupe on Sheba as she was 'out of it' when she took it. I gave her tramadol 10mg (1/2 of a 20 mg tablet) twice a day with no ill effects. She took those for a couple of years for arthritis. The taste is bitter so they need putting in a gel cap but that was not an issue once in the Gel cap.

6. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Yech! More than nasty. I still have a bottle of triple fish flavor somewhere. Poor Noah fought me so hard on that I couldn't do it anymore.
    He's been on the transdermal for 2+ years now, no problems with the stairs, vision or appetite. A real lifesaver.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.