The food debate

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lizl Scheepers, Jun 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lizl Scheepers

Lizl Scheepers New Member

Hi there from a cold RSA. Hansie has been on the meds for almost a month now, and there is some significant improvement. He is on protaphane, 5 units, twice daily and his levels have stabilized to about 5.8 with the last reading. ( south african levels). I have a question, however. He has been on dry food since forever, I have been feeding Hills for a long time. i however free feed him. I give him wet food just before his shots, and for the rest of the day there is dry food in the bowl, which he finishes. I have also left food out for the night, a lesser amount, however. I have noticed in the last couple of nights, he seem to be drinking eating and peeing a lot. Should I stop putting food out at night? Since he has been on dry food for so long, I would want to continue with the Hills for diabetic cats. I have tried the wet food thing and his stomach was runny all the time. When I stopped with the wet food his stomach returned to normal. Could his levels go up as a result of him having access to food at night?
    Thank you so much for all the help.
    God bless.
    Lizl and Hansie.

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Slower food transitions, and sometimes adding probiotics (ex yogurt with active cultures, if you have it in SA), may allow a switch to more low carb canned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.