the *good!* reason I haven't been on the forum

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ker95, Sep 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ker95

ker95 New Member

Maybe a few of you remember me... My ten year old Peaches was diagnosed in early August, the first vet recommended not doing anything until he was 'unhappy' (as in dying from what you educated me). Second vet insisted on humulin & his DM pricey food. You all held my hand through all of this.

Peaches and humulin & our schedule didn't get along. We pretty much forced the vet to give us a prescription to PZI and tried some of the wet food from the suggested list posted on this site. Peaches simply wouldn't eat and/or gagged at the vet food.

We tested, gave shots twice daily, monitored...... and then about a month ago we stopped giving any shots because his numbers were too low (resorted once to the Karo syrup on the gums thing).

Continue to test & monitor regularly, but Peaches is running in the mid/high 60s and low 70s all the time.

And that is really JUST from changing his diet to some affordable canned food. Something none of the vets even suggested.

Let me put this bluntly: this board saved Peaches' life.

OTJ Peaches thanks you. His younger brother Tribbles thanks you. His little sister Heidi grudgingly maybe thanks you :lol:

But most of all... we human fur parents thank you.

I KNOW we were the rare lucky ones. But maybe our story will help those first diagnosed panicking cat lovers to know that treatment isn't all that difficult, and ... maybe they'll be some of the lucky ones too

Many many thanks,
    Marilyn

2. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Such wonderful news.
    Thank you for sharing with us and wishing you continued
    health for you and your furbabies.

3. SaraJaye

SaraJaye Member

Awesome!!!

4. Gail & Houdini (GA)

Gail & Houdini (GA) Well-Known Member

Congratulations !!! Another one OTJ!! Yaaaay!!

Good job mommabean!

5. laur+danny+horde

laur+danny+horde Member

that's great! The low carb wet food does make such a huge difference, and yet so many vets are just clueless about it. Mine certainly didn't have a clue. Comes of being 'educated' with pet food industry sponsored training, I guess. I am encouraged though, because at last we are starting to see tv and print ads that advise reading the label on the food.

Thanks for sharing this encouraging news. Give Peaches an extra kiss!
    Laur

6. gingerand((calliope))(GA)

gingerand((calliope))(GA) Member

Wonderful news! Low carb wet food made a big difference with Calliope. I'm ever so grateful.

7. RuthV

RuthV Member

Wow - a very good reason for your absence. You're an inspiration to ppl like me who still haven't successfully home tested. I will def. give it another shot.

Hats off to ya. :D

Do you intend to do a periodic test for bg? How often?

8. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

Awesome news!!! We love success stories! Glad Peaches is doing well!

9. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

AWESOME thanks so much for sharing.
    j.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.