The Insulin

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lorry, Dec 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lorry

Lorry Member

I finally got time to check the vets email and she suggests Lantus as the first choice and Vetsulin for the second choice for my cat Little Boy. Do both work the same or one better then the other? He seems to really like the Fancy feast now does it matter that the chicen had liver in it and the Turkey had giblets in it? Should I just be using chicken and Turkey no extras? Thank you

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Lantus is one of the best insulin's for cats. Vetsulin is one of the worst. It's actually a dog insulin. A cat's metabolism is faster than a dogs so Vetsulin tends to wear off too soon. It's also harsher than Lantus.

The Fancy Feast Classics (pates) are fine. Chicken and liver was one of China's favorites!

One thing about Lantus, it's pricey, especially in the US. You don't have your location in your details so if you are in the US and want to save a considerable amount of money, you can get your Lantus from Canada a lot cheaper. Here's the information on buying insulin from Canada

It takes about a week for delivery.

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Lantus is a way better choice for insulin. For most cats, Vetsulin doesn’t last as long. In the rest of the world, Vetsulin is called Caninsulin. They rebranded it in the US, cause I guess Caninsulin doesn’t sound cat friendly. Good that your vet will offer Lantus,

4. Lorry

Lorry Member

Thank you both, I live in Washington state. Thank uou so much for the information.

5. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

If you live close to the Canadian border, you can just drive across and go to a Canadian pharmacy. In Canada, a prescription is not needed if Lantus is for a cat. Just tell the pharmacist that the insulin is for your cat.

Lorry and Tanya and Ducia like this.
  6. Lorry

Lorry Member

Thank you Red &Rover but no Im not close enough to drive to Canada.

7. Lorry

Lorry Member

Ok guys I just weighed my cat He was 7 pounds on Friday and he has gained a pound so now he is 8 pounds. That is a semi good sign right? I will take what ever I can get of him gaining weight.

8. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

You can also check in the supply closet on here, A lot of people are selling the lantus pens. One woman has a box of 5 pens for 100.00 . They don't expire until 2021
    Take a look, I just bought some myself

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.