the mystery of bouncing

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Noah & me (GA), Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

It was sheer luck that Nigel never bounced and dumb luck that I had to come here to find out what bounce meant and what to do about it.
    So the fire is getting bigger and I should spray less water on it???
    Noah has stopped bouncing after months of me arguing with him. More importantly how can we explain this to newbies when my two favorite techs look at me like I'm crazy. I'm not going to pump 8 units into my cat when I know better. Is it really that simple? Has anyone else had the same experience with their vet?

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

My vet mentioned Somogyi but related it to a drop into very low BG territory. Bouncing as we understand it here is a much more useful concept but when I described it to my vet it was new to her. As the CG of a champion bouncer the FDMB definition of bouncing helped me immensely.

3. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

Vets only get a few hours of training for diabetics. Probably more for dogs than cats. They are usually too busy to keep up with the newest info. My vet is good as far as insisting on home testing, but she didn't know anything about Prozinc. When I asked about switching Callie from Vetsulin to Prozinc, she looked it up and said that she would fax a Rx to any online pet pharmacy. She loves our spreadsheet and has all her diabetic cat parents use one.

We have heard lots of stories of uneducated or stupid vets over the years.
    I hope you are feeling better.

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  4. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

I don't know what the literal opposite of analogy is but this if there is such a thing this is correct?
    So the fire is getting bigger and I should spray less water on it?
    Total agreement with Kris, the FDMB definition made immediate sense to me. I've blabbered before about how great my vet is and her Dad being a vet, she was so invested in us. But no one in her office has ever heard of FDMB (or bounce or Somogyi rebound) and no matter how many subtle hints I drop they just forget in 3 seconds and she has many diabetic patients. Very frustrating that for once I understand a seemingly strange concept and cannot preach to the choir. Oh well.
    Thank you to who ever wrote the sticky about Bouncing.
    Thanks Donnalea, it's a new day.

Sharon14 and Kris & Teasel like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.