The story of Banksy

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Banksy the Cat, Apr 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Banksy the Cat

Banksy the Cat New Member

Hello! I am new to this board. My husband and I adopted Banksy (aka Mr.Banks, Bankston, Bankstonius, B-Man etc) from the humane society several years ago. I think in another thread I said he was 6. He's actually probably 8. I can never remember. We adopted him because my bratty calico just doesn't like my husband and he wanted a cat to cuddle with.

Banks was stray, and a little bit sick when we met him. We had gone to ask for advise on preparing a home with an established queen for a new family member. We had zero intention of adopting that day. The adoption counselor said, "I know you said that but I think we have the perfect boy for you". He was sleek, like a panther, and dense. All fur and muscle but a real baby face. The babiest of faces. He had a notch in his ear from his time on the streets but it just added to his charm. The moment he came into the room he crawled into my husband's, then boyfriend, lap and did that rolling thing they do. And he purred. So loudly I thought the walls were going to tumble down.

We left with him and named him Banksy. <3

After about 2 years, we started planning our wedding. We had money that we had saved set aside just for this and we were trying to stretch it. About this time Banks started having trouble eating. He had grown from a lithe graceful panther, to a tubby 16lb loaf. The vet said it was probably food insecurity from being a stray. He only ate kibble. Wouldn't touch anything else. But he was losing weight and crying in pain when he'd try eating. He was so desperate he ate the organic duck in pumpkin sauce food my sister in law brought in the get well basket she made.

The vet said he had gum disease and referred us to a vet dentist. The vet dentist told us he had an auto immune disease common in inbred cats that was causing his body to reject his teeth as foreign objects. He would need full dental extraction. It was going to cost a lot of money. Without a thought we tapped into our wedding money and did it. He hates Dr. Blue Guy. But he was eating and soon became a loaf again. Now he is cute and toothless. He does like to gum you when he's playing.

The vet told us we needed to put him on a diet. He was too big. We tried but we didn't know what we were doing. Banks never got over his food anxiety and scarfs down everything and still would only eat kibble. Cookie, my beautiful, sweet, bratty, queen of the house is a graze. We reduced the serving size and gave multiple feedings. But she would graze and he would scarf.

Two months or so ago we noticed he was slimming down. We hopefully thought that the diet was finally working. But he was drinking a lot and we couldn't keep up with the litter box. We took him in last weekend and found out he has diabetes. He was at the vet for two days so they could get a grin sample (day 1) and figure out insulin dosing (day 2). I spent those two days a wreck because I was sure that our Banks was alone, afraid, and sure that we had abandoned him with Dr. Blue Guy. But he is home and happy. We have begun our long road of treatment. We have a lot to learn, and a lot to be grateful for. I want to keep this snuggly, talkative kitty around for a long time.

My sister in law's friend has a diabetic cat and said this forum would be my best friend. I have so many questions and so many fears. I have already posted a thread with one of each. Already I've seen so many people so willing to help, offer advise, or just an encouraging word. Thank you all in advance. Sorry for the super long post. I just wanted to really introduce you to Banksy the Banksasaurus Rex. His cat dad and I are pretty dorky. :)

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome! Is Banksy named after the artist? :)

We can help with dosing and stuff! It's really important he's on diabetic friendly food. If you really can't transition him to wet, young again zero carb food is the way to go. You can get a free sample if you ask. Youngagainpetfood.com

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Great story and he's a lucky kitty to have you two as parents! I'm sure you think you're lucky to have him too. :smuggrin:

Banksy the Cat likes this.
  4. Chrissy66

Chrissy66 Member

Welcome and thank you for sharing your story about your Baby

5. Banksy the Cat

Banksy the Cat New Member

He is! Because his markings kind of look like graffiti art!

Food is a matter of some contention right now. We feed both cats Royal Canin for sensitive tummies. He has recently found a taste for non kibble. He tries to climb into my husband's ham sandwiches and we got him tee hose fancy feast meat treats.that are basically canned tuna in little packets.

When we found out he was diabetic, I started reading this site and learned how important it is for them to have a low carb diet, wet food the best so I bought some nulo pouches to try out.

I wasn't able to be at the vet when he was picked up due to work. But my husband says the vet didn't recommend changing his food right now. He was afraid of him not eating at all if we switched. Not a not a problem because he loves the nulo. My husband has taken his word as law and refuses to even consider a food change. Even when I asked to compromise and have one kibble meal and one low carb meal, he didn't want to hear it. It's because he's so afraid that not doing exactly what the Dr. told us, is going to hurt banksy. We will take him back in a month and have them test him and see if a diet change is necessary. Hime testing, again, not an option. Only when the dr. Says we need to, will my husband agree to it.

I do give them both a pack of the nulo in the evening but I have to call it a snack. *eyeroll*

6. PiePie

PiePie Member

I love his isosceles triangle face. My kitties have lots of names too, I actually call Keaton PiePie. My boys gobbled up the Young Again kibble, going to try the Dr. Elseys tonight.

7. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

Love this! Welcome...

8. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I'm a little late, but welcome! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.