The Ultramarathon Goes On: 1

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Kris & Teasel, Apr 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Lovely blue AMPS today after yesterday's black one. Mind you, I had to skip his dose Saturday night because I was out well before and after he was due. Lantus Land: shoot 3 u on an AMPS of 124. :eek: ;)

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Takes a little getting used too, doesn't it :cat:

3. Kris & Teasel

Yep!!

4. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

The people in Lantus Land are super brave!

5. Kris & Teasel

Not really. It's based on the slow onset character of Lantus. Doesn't mean you can't have a surprise but mostly it works.

6. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

It seems to work really well! I'm always impressed with people on Lantus and it really does seem like a lot of kitties hit regulation/remission over there. I love to see the kitties I've known (and some I don't) get their numbers lower...I lurk on that board to keep an eye on my old Prozinc buddies a lot.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  7. Kris & Teasel

Teasel is somewhat improved in numbers (more blue) but still extremely bouncy and unpredictable. The big thing for me is that he feels better because of Lantus' slower action.

MiCo and Rachel like this.
  8. Ruby&Baco

Ruby&Baco Well-Known Member

Hi Kris, just looked at your SS, Teasel is doing better I see. Like you said, he's more in blue numbers! Looking good, Hopefully he will come down soon! Hope you are doing ok!

MiCo and Kris & Teasel like this.
  9. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

This makes me jealous. I feel like a question I should have asked my vet is "why prozinc?"
    Kris...happy to hear your Teasel is doing well!

10. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

That was a nice long blue surf last night!
    Sarah I wonder why I didn't start on lantus too. But the vet sold me on the "made for cats" and "they have better chances at remission" and "it's cheaper"... Vet had me believing every single one. At the time of diagnosis it's overwhelming and was completely terrifying for me.

MiCo likes this.
  11. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I believe most vets just go with what they know. So if they have never used Lantus, they will go with ProZinc as they are comfortable with it.

12. srk4cats

srk4cats Well-Known Member

I never even thought to ask about different insulins. How many are there and what's the difference between them?

13. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

My vet told me last week that Frank would most likely not go into remission. I didn't ask why. Our BG test appts are just them taking him in the back real quick, and her talking to me in the lobby. We don't go into a room, so I always feel kind of rushed. They don't charge an office visit, so I feel kind of bad if I take up too much time asking a lot of questions. Maybe I need to schedule a visit just to get more info.

Yong & Maury GA and StephG like this.
  14. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

If you go into the forums, you'll see the support groups for all the types of insulin. As for which is better or how they work, I'm not sure about all that. I know prozinc is what they call an in and out insulin, meaning it lasts those 12 hours between shots and starts over. Lantus, I think, builds up in the blood and kind of sticks around for a while. @StephG could probably explain better, but there might be posts on each board that explain them all if you look.

Yong & Maury GA and StephG like this.
  15. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

The sticky posts on each insulin forum explain it better than I can. You're right about prozinc. I still can't really explain lantus besides it's a Depot insulin and some of it it builds up to make that Depot.

16. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

I like the idea of a depot. I feel like with Frank's usually high numbers that a depot would help even those out. I wonder if there are vets that specialize in cat diabetes. I have so many questions!

17. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Lantus is certainly a great insulin and a lot of cats do go into remission on it. You know how we think here...the best insulin is the one that works for your cat. Cats can go into remission on Prozinc as well...I would be interested in why your vet has said remission isn't possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.