Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krista k.

Krista k. New Member

Im new to the group. I have a 14 year old persian who was recently diagnosed with diabetes. He is currently taking vetsulin as of yesterday he started taling 3 units of insulin. We have had a tough time adjusting him to a right dose. Theo is a very picky eater still trying to get him switched over to a better diet. He is a dry food addict and very stubborn when it comes to new food. Im glad to join this forum so i can become more educated on everything there is to learn about diabetes.

JanetNJ likes this.
  2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Krista, welcome to you and Theo! We'll be glad to help you in any way we can. Come to the Health Forum and post any questions you have. In the meantime, have you seen this http://catinfo.org Lots of great information and a section on transitioning from kibble to wet food.

3. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Krista k. likes this.
  4. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

I am not familiar with Vetsulin but 3 units seem to be rather a high-ish dose to start.
    Please be very careful and test frequently at home because switching to the lower carbs diet alone can bring kitties BG down and if combined with insulin those low may became dangerously low.
    Do you home test?

jayla-n-Drevon and Krista k. like this.
  5. Krista k.

Krista k. New Member

6. Krista k.

Krista k. New Member

He started out taking 1 unit and his sugar was still high we raised ot to 2 units a few weeks after and his nadir was 293 the lowest it got so last night we started 3 units and it brought in on down to 190. He has also been put on antibiotics for a uti.

7. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

Glad to hear the new dose works!
    Have you thought of setting up a spreadsheet? It is very good tool to keep track of BG and to be able to asses the dosage. In case you haven't seen it HERE are the instructions as to how to do the spreadsheet.

In case you ever need to discuss the dose adjustment the data collected in SS - the pre-shot test and random mid cycle tests - will allow readers to see the history/progression.

So you do home testing? What meter do you use?

8. Krista k.

Krista k. New Member

9. Krista k.

Krista k. New Member

Thank you i have read up in a lot of the low carb foods. The only problem is theo has been eating iams dry food ever since he was a baby. Recently since his diagnosis i have tried numerous difderent types of canned food he sniffs it then tirns his nose. I have even tried just leaving it down and he will almost starve himself. I have also tried just getting a little bit and putting it in his mouth just so he can taste it. Hes been a tough on my youngest cat though will eat anything.

10. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Have you tried crushing some Iams and putting it on top the wet food? Be generous at first and gradually give less.

Yong & Maury GA and Krista k. like this.
  11. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

If the cat will not eat, you will have more issues than FD. Dr. Pierson has a whole article on things to try on the catinfo.org site. You can try by putting the wet into the dry. Then slowly remove the dry and put more wet. See if that will help. Or try one of the diabetic friendly dry foods I mentioned. I have a CKD kitty and try as I might, she wants her few bites of dry a day - so if she will eat it I will give it as again, her not eating is worse then her eating the dry. Good luck in your search and effort to get him converted.

Krista k. likes this.
  12. Krista k.

Krista k. New Member

13. Krista k.

Krista k. New Member

I have not. But i will definitely try it. Willing to do whatever for him to be healthier and deal with these diabetes a little better

Sharon14 likes this.
  14. Krista k.

Krista k. New Member

15. Krista k.

Krista k. New Member

Thank you. I will definitely read into it and try the wet on dry. I still give him his food he likes just because i know he has to eat with the insulin

Tracey&Jones (GA) and Sharon14 like this.
  16. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome Krista and Theo!
    You've been given some great resources to help with the food change, so I'll just stick with the new member links ;).
    Setting up your Signature helps those of us with bad memories and gives a quick "glance" of your kitty's situation: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/editing-your-signature-profile-and-preferences.130340/

If you are home testing, this is the Spreadsheet most of us who home test use to share. Just need a Google account, if you need help setting it up just ask: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    If you are not home testing, we strongly believe it's the best tool in our FD kitty tool belts :cat:.

Lastly, I like to give this to new members, better to be prepared: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-to-treat-hypos-they-can-kill-print-this-out.15887/

Ask any questions you might have on the Main Health Forum. :)

17. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Hi Krista,
    If your kitty absolutely refuses wet food there are a ew dry food options that are under 10% carb.

Many people use young again 0 carb... I personally did not have good luck with it but each cat is different and they will send a sample and they do have a decent return policy. It is very high calorie just FYI

Dr Elsey has a new dry chicken out (salmon coming) that is 4.69 carb and I have yet to hear of a kitty who doesn't like it or has started throwing up etc.... but again each cat is different...
    They also will send a sample.
    :bighug:

18. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

If you get lower carb food and as the uti clears the nadir number is going to drop so just keep an eye on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.