Think I Need to ReHome My Civvie

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Ozzy Pawzbourne, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Ozzy Pawzbourne Well-Known Member

I have posted before about Figgie and how he has not been taking well to us having a new baby. He is almost 16 years old and set in his ways and all this change in the home is not working for him. He has been urinating out of the box and basically ruining our house. We have tried everything and nothing has worked.

Our child deserves to live, crawl, and grow up in a house free of cat urine. So do we.

I am extremely frustrated, mad, heartbroken, and don't know what to do. We need to figure out something and I am not sure what our options are. Figgie has behavioral issues, only likes me, is extremely territorial, and now is an inappropriate urinator. I am not sure how to rehome him.

What options do we have? I need real suggestions please and am coming here to my friends at the kitty committee because I just don't know where else to turn. Please don't judge me. This decision is not coming lightly. I love my kitty and have had him for a very long time.

Poor Figgie. He is obviously unhappy and we just can't give him the only attention like he needs/wants.

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

There are vets that specialize in behaviour issues, maybe your vet can give a referral? It’s good to find someone who can come to the home to make suggestions. Out of the box is a common problem. It must be so frustrating!

Is Figgie any particular breed of cat such as Maine Coon? There are breed specific rescue groups that might be willing to help with a rehome. Where did you get him in the first place? A lot of adoption places make you sign papers that say they have first right of refusal if kitty has to be returned. Last suggestion, there are some rescue groups that specialize in senior animals. We have a couple here. One specializes in older animals for older people, and picks up the vet bills. A quiet older person home might be ideal for Figgie.

Good luck.:bighug:

Ozzy Pawzbourne likes this.
  3. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Hey Jo :) So good to see you but sad that Figgie is still having problems . This is hard for all of you , I know. About all I can think of is is there anyone you know that Figgie has been comfy with that he could go to ? Someone who has been drawn to him , has a heart for him ? Will be keeping you and Figgie in my prayers, that a loving home can be found for him. Give a hug to that boy of yours and take care of yourself ❤️

4. Joanne&TinySole

Joanne&TinySole Well-Known Member

I know this may seem simplistic or an odd question, and I realize you've tried everything, but have you tried Feliway spray and diffusers?

alexthecat and JanetNJ like this.
  5. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Yes. They are useless.

6. Joanne&TinySole

Sorry to know. They have worked for us in the past. I'd talk to the Vet if you think you want to continue to try with him. If not, Wendy had some great suggestions.

7. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Don't know if you have consulted your vet but if a physiological cause for the inappropriate urination has been ruled out, vets can prescribe medication to reduce anxiety/depression that might help.

8. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Hi Jo,

I would look into taking him to see a cat "shrink". We had to do that with Harvey years ago when he suddenly started attacking Minka for no reason. It really helped.

I'm guessing the issue is that he feel you are "his" person, and now most of your time is otherwise occupied. He doesn't understand why he isn't your #1 baby anymore. Perhaps his peeing makes sense to him - he's marking your home as "his".

I hope you find a solution that doesn't tear your heart out, as I know you love him and would prefer to fix the problem than to rehome him. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

9. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm very sorry... I know you tried everything you could. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

10. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

I personally don't have first-hand experience with urinating outside the box, but I'm sure a number of folks here do. I know you posted before about Figgie, but can you refresh our memories - when you say you've tried everything, what all does that include? The details might help others guide you to a solution that you haven't tried before without repeating those that haven't worked.

With that said, I'm sure you've ruled out medical things like infections and kidney disease, correct? Did your vet say anything about idiopathic cystitis? If not, that is something to explore. As my vet explained once, kitties feel their stress in their urinary system like we humans feel it in our digestive system. I do believe there are options that can help - pain meds (idiopathic cystitis is painful because it feels like a UTI without being a bacterial infection) and anti-anxiety meds like prozac.

Beth 73 likes this.
  11. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

Gabapentin is also used for anxiety and a mild pain med.

Beth 73 likes this.
  12. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Have you tried Cat Attract litter from Dr. Elsey? I’ve yet to hear of a cat that didn’t start using the box again when that litter was used. If that works, it addresses one problem.

I use flower essences from Green Hope Farms and they work quite well. You can spray the entire house with the appropriate one. I actually like them better than Feliway. You can use more than one at a time. You can also rub a few drops on his ears.

I’ve seen issues like this on Jackson Galaxy’s show “My Cat from Hell”. He’s got some really great tips like putting cat condos near windows where the cat can look out; making alternative paths through the house for the cat (he calls it “catification”), playing more with the cat during specific times, etc. As Amy said, we aren’t sure what you’ve tried but if you haven’t ever looked at some of his recommendations, they are well worth looking at for behavior modification.

13. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

I would ask the vet about anti anxiety meds..

Ozzy Pawzbourne and Beth 73 like this.
  14. Joanne&TinySole

Dr. Else's Cat Attract litter worked for one of our cats. We also used the green herbal powder by Dr. Elsey and moved the litter boxes around. If she peed outside of the box, we washed the area with the enzyme to address the urine, and put the litter box over that spot. Eventually we put one box in a spare bedroom and retrained her to use it.
    We ruled out a UTI also. We figure that her brother was harassing her when she was using her box. Different circumstances, but perhaps something will help.

15. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

CDB oil might be worth a shot. It does have a calming effect on kitties

Joanne&TinySole likes this.
  16. Rosie & Bailey

Rosie & Bailey Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the new baby! It sounds like Figgie was a great companion for you before the baby arrived.
    There are so many suggestions here. I hope you find a solution so that you don't have to part with Figgie. If you must part with him, I hope you find a wonderful forever home for him. :bighug:

17. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Try a box with no litter in it, just a puppy training pad. For the last few years of his life my Zimmy would mostly only use puppy pads. I attached one to the wall by the litter box on command hooks, and another in the floor. Zimmy died a year and a half ago, but a few months ago I've recently had to start hanging the pads again as my cat Julie decided to start peeing in the kitchen. The pads are our compromise and since making them available she's only had a handful of accidents.

You could also try cat Prozac or something similar. I know you tried feliway.... But there are different ones. We have found the multicat one more effective then the one for urine marking.

18. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Where are you?

19. Ozzy Pawzbourne

In the Long Beach area in Southen California.

20. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Thanks for all the suggestions. Going to take Figgie back to the vet again to rule out any UTI (again) and also get kitty prozac. We talked about it last visit because of his behavior so maybe it's time. I really don't want to put my cat on drugs, but we don't have a lot of options and I figure this is worth a shot. before trying to rehome him .

I don't need a pet shrink to tell me what's up with my cat. We have been together for almost 16 years. We know each other well. Figgie is spraying for a couple reasons. #1- In his eyes, I am his person and I belong to him. He hates everyone else but me He has shown a lot of aggression to others (basically everyone) over the years and only likes me. He wasn't like this when he was younger but he has been like this for last 8-10 years. #2 - Figgie is extremely territorial . This cat will stand in the doorway and block people from entering and smack their feet if they try to cross the threshold . It' sounds funny (and trust me to see it in person is hilarious), but it's not ok. But to him, this is his house and he is marking to make his territory known. #3- Figgie doesn't want to share my affection with anyone and he is EXTREMELY jealous. He does not like the constant attention the baby gets and wants me all to himself. Despite this, he has never shown any aggression towards the baby or done anything to the baby's belongings or in his room. He wouldn't dare because he knows that's my baby.

Figgie is also a restless cat. He is always under my feet to the point where I practically trip on him EVERY DAY. He also walks in circles endlessly sometimes. I thought maybe he was hyper thyroid but his recent tests came back negative . He bores easily and really is obsessed with going outside. He darts for the door every chance he gets. In an effort to try to improve his happiness, we have been letting him outside supervised a few times a week.

I can try the litter option suggested above, but he has no problem going in his cat box. He does every day. The spraying is not a daily occurrence, but it's a definite problem. We also have gotten an extra cat box even though he never had an issue sharing with Ozzy for the last 11 years they have been together. They both share the boxes.

Has anyone put their cat on kitty Prozac and had it help with urination issues? How does a cat act on Kitty Prozac? How is it administered and how often is it given? What happens if a dose is skipped? Is it expensive?

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments. I always know where to come for any kitty related questions and I always appreciate you all!!

21. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Ana & Frosty (GA) Well-Known Member

Do you play with him for 10 minutes twice a day before meals? This helps the cat built confidence and can decrease spraying to mark territory. I know, getting a senior cat to play is HARD. I have 2 seniors. But even just waving a toy or laser pointer in front of him for 5-10 mins twice a day can help. Built up energy is often reason for aggression as well.

Keep us updated!

22. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Ps. LOVE the name “Ozzie pawsborn” :kiss:

23. Pudge

Pudge Member

I have my non diabetic kitty on Clomicalm. He gets half a tablet every night. Super easy, pills are small and cost is about 40$ a bottle which lasts about 2 months. My guy was peeing in the sink, spraying , ruining furniture etc. I tried pain meds, anti inflammatory’s, ruled out cystitis, uti’s and figured that trying Clomicalm was worth a shot. Low and behold 3 years later and he maybe sprays once every six months, his anxiety is much better, he’s not so skiddish around others, he loves to cuddle which he never did before and he’s just generally a much happier cat.
    I think it’s mostly used for dogs but I really recommend giving it a try

24. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

My daughter had her rescue dog on Prozac for years, for her anxiety, which made her unreliable around strangers.
    My daughter found it cheaper to buy the Prozac through the chemist instead of the vet....she needed a script. We live in Australia so I don't know about costs where you live. Having her on Prozac made a big difference and was definitely worth it.

If he is an indoor cat, have you considered building an outside run for him where he can go out through a cat door to the outside when he wants to. They are a great distraction and would be another interest for him. There are many different types. Some are just an outdoor area where they can sit. Others are long tunnels around the yard where they can safely go without fear of getting into strife.

ETA...have just seen the above post and it was clomicalm Georgie was on, not Prozac...but they are very similar

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  25. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

It shouldn't be very expensive....there's a generic for it. (fluoxetine)….it's about $5 for 30 capsules (check out Goodrx.com for the best prices)

I've never had any personal experience with it, but I've seen it tried on quite a few other cats and usually, it works pretty well!

They do have to get to a certain blood level first so it doesn't work immediately and yes, it's important that they get it as scheduled so you maintain that blood level that works best.

26. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I've just looked up clomicalm and it is given to cats for spraying urine, some forms of aggression and other compulsive behaviours.

27. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

I have s friend who used Prozac for her cat who was pooping around the house and it did wotk.

Honestly, it sounds like Figgie would be pretty traumatized if he were rehomed, and it sounds like it would be very difficult to find a good home for his personality. I would try every option before trying to rehome him.

28. Joanne&TinySole

I just read about Clomicalm - it looks very promising and has a 4.7 out of 5 for user ratings from humans using it with their dogs and cats.

I hope all goes well. Keep us posted.

29. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Thanks. this is exactly what I wanted to hear.

peeing in the sink! kitty !!

Sue and Luci and Joanne&TinySole like this.
  30. Ozzy Pawzbourne

thank you! we r going to the vet!

JanetNJ likes this.
  31. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Thank you guys sooo much ! we are going to go.to.the vet and ask about the clomicalm I'm actually excited and so hopeful. I don't want to get rid of Figgie!!! 16 years guys!!! 16 years!!!! Most people never have a pet that long. I would be so heartbroken to have to get rid of him.

32. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

FWIW my Mom's elderly kitty (now passed) was on fluoxetine (generic Prozac) compounded into chewy treats for a number of years because of his OCD fur pulling. Helped enormously. Good luck! :bighug::)

33. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Great. Best of luck! Remember, it can take up to 6 weeks (at least in people) for anti depressants to work so be patient. Also I do recommend adding 10 minutes of play before breakfast and before dinner. Even if he won’t engage just spending 10 minutes waving a toy or laser pointer in front of him could get him to release some tension and also get undivided attention from you which he craves. I would definitely add this in addition to the medication. Keep us posted!

34. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Thanks I always try to get some playtime in as much as I can. But I have a full time job with 2 hours of commute daily and a 10 month old. There is literally no time for anything at this stage, most certainly not for me. I know it will get better as my son gets bigger.

35. Joanne&TinySole

We're all rooting for you and Doggie! We knew you didn't want to rehome him after 16 years, and we understand the frustration and exhaustion. It's going to work out. Give it some time. XOXO :bighug::bighug::bighug:

36. Ana & Frosty (GA)

I understand. I work 10 hours 5 days a week with a 2 hour commute as well! No infant (yet) but i definitely get it!! Even if you’re holding the baby if you can dangle a string or something it will help. If there’s anyone else in the house they can play with him too! Guests can as well especially if he attacks their feet! Tell them he wants to play ;)

I know you will figure it out. Some day when our kids are old enough they will play with our pets and it will be one less thing on the list :)

37. Beth 73

:bighug:❤️:bighug:❤️:bighug: Jo, I know one or a combo of these ideas is going to help Figgie and allow you to keep him . I know how you love all your boys . Oh, Elmo said to tell Ozzy that his Ozark cousin hasn’t forgotten him and sends love and head butts :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  38. Pudge

Pudge Member

I hope it works for you! I was going to add give it a few weeks, I think it took about 2-3 weeks for my kitty to adapt. We also started him on a full pill and then once the behaviors calmed down we reduced to half as it made him sleepy and it worked the same! Best of luck

Ozzy Pawzbourne and Beth 73 like this.
  39. Beth 73

And, Jo, you don’t have a job but a high pressure career :bighug: How you do all you do is beyond me ❤️ You are AMAZING !!!:bighug:

40. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

We tried everything, petting, different litter, treats, play....she is a former stray and her home is her territory! If there is a strange cat in the yard, she would go off her rocker.

My civvie has been on Clomicalm for about 6 years now. Originally she started on a full pill a day, then we moved to 1/2 pill then tried 1/2 pill EOD. The EOD didn't work, we had breakthrough marking. She has been on her 1/2 pill ED for a while now and she is happy. It seemed to have immediate affect in the sense the marking stopped and most of the spots we found were old. We also tried a "break" from the meds. That lasted about 3 months and then the marking behavior returned. She has had skipped doses - you forgot 1 night etc...no issues.

The kitty prozac worked and I wouldn't go back. It was terrible coming home and searching for the spot as you could smell it and needed to find it. She destroyed a leather couch, love seat, my DS' motorcycle boots, some equipment bags, a mattress....

With the half pill, I get a 30 pill bottle and lasts two months. $33/month (CAD) but this is from the vet and since is has gone corporate it has gone up (originally cost around $30 for the bottle which made it $15 per month), I could find cheaper but it is convenient for me. Compare the cost to the lost furniture and piece of mind....no, not expensive.

Libby is still Libby. She is used to the dose, in the beginning she was a little dopey but that has subsided. Hint - give it at night.

41. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Thanks so much!

42. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Ok-we just got back from the vet and guess what? Our almost 16 year old kitty who has been healthy as a horse his entire life now has a heart murmur and was slightly dehydrated. I was surprised by both findings. the heart murmur is new. He didn't have it at his last check up last year. And the dehydration was surprising as well since he eats all wet food. 80% of his calories comes from Darwin's raw food and the rest is canned cat food that we leave in the feeder during the day while at work since we don't leave out raw food for that long. We usually mix the raw food with a little water to break it up better since Figgie has problems chewing it sometimes and Ozzy is prone to ketones so water helps flush them.

The vet said the dehydration could be an early sign of kidney disease. And the murmur could be from early heart disease or could be from untreated hyperthyroidism which is something we had him tested for a year ago out of suspicion (he was in the gray area on the range).

So we got some tests ordered and will wait for the news. In the meantime, she prescribed him gabapentin (a pain med) which the vet said could help with the anxiety and aggression while we wait for his test results to come back. She said he has to be healthy enough to take the kitty Prozac and also that it can take a few weeks to build up in the system so we could use both until the kitty Prozac has taken effect. The gabapentin was expensive ...$50 for 15 days Think we might start with half a dose and stretch it. Anyone try this med and have any luck?

Ana & Frosty (GA) likes this.
  43. Ana & Frosty (GA)

My Frosty took gabapentin for road trips to the IM vet which was an hour, otherwise he screamed, peed and pooped himself. It worked but it’s very sedating. Towards the end I was giving it to him to keep him comfortable. I would definitely try half a pill first to see how he reacts. Sometimes these meds are trial and error too. Some work for some cats and others work better for others.

You actually gave me an idea to ask our vet for some Prozac for our dog. He has severe separation anxiety and barks at everything and we tried training and a spray collar and nothing has worked. With the new kitten he has been going nuts and my bf is getting very frustrated trying to keep him from barking (I also mentioned that it will be a huge issue once we have a baby). SO at the next visit for our kitten I’m gonna ask about doggy Prozac. Not to be pushing meds on our pets, but when everyone is super stressed and everyone’s qualify of life is significantly affected, I feel it’s a good and legitimate option. Just as it is for humans!

44. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

You can get Gaba much cheaper at a compound pharmacy like Wedgewood or Diamondback. My vet was also charging me $50 for 30 tablets, Wedgewood is $50 for 100 tablets. Gaba makes Bronx sleepy. He is taking it for joint pain & sterile cystitis and seems to be helping a bit. I have seen it as low as .10 cents a tablet but my vet said the only place they would allow to fill it is Wedgewood.

45. Bron and Sheba (GA)

@Ana & Frosty (GA)
    My daughters dog had separation anxiety and they took her to a behaviouralist and they were told to stop making a fuss of her when they returned home. Just to tell her they were leaving... no big prolonged farewell and when they came home to just ignore her and don’t make a big fuss. It did work. Took time but the problem went away.

46. Ana & Frosty (GA)

We don’t do any of that. We also ignore him when he barks for hours on end but it’s hard when you have a scared kitten much less once we have a kid. We definitely tried all the behavior modifications. He won’t do a shock collar. This is probably the next step,

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  47. Ozzy Pawzbourne

I have to agree with you about using the meds because of the stressful situation and QOL. my cat is not happy and neither are we We have been seriously thinking of rehoming him after trying a lot of things Not to sound mean, but more realistic, my kitty has a lot of issues in his senior years and does not tolerate change well is his environment and there is only so much we are going to tolerate from our pets. They need to coexist peacefully with us and we have been bending over backwards for Figgie and spending a lot of time and effort and money for a pet who is disrespecting us and the home we share with him. The drugs are a last resort. And this kitty is so hyper and skitty that him slowing down a little will be nice for q change

48. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Thanks for feedback will try half a pill. goal is to get to kitty Prozac and off this stuff but this was a gap filler so to speak.

49. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Barbara & Uncle (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Jo, sorry to read about the struggles with Figgie. Glad to see so many thoughtful ideas posted here and that you're going to try the Gabapentin for now. Starting with a small dose is definitely a good idea. It can really make them woozy at first.
    Give Ozzie some special scritches for me :bighug:

50. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Ahh thanks! Ozzy is doing great. His recent vetty visit showed his diabetes is well under control (his kitty A1c was actually on the low side so we had to bring up his dose ), but he has no signs of any secondary issues due to his diabetes and he's still as sweet and calm as ever!

CassAndGordy(GA) likes this.
  51. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

FYI, Amitryptiline is another option - our cat was less "stoned" on it than on Prozac, and it did wonders for his anxiety, peeling out of the box and spraying. In our experience, the pills worked better than having it compounded into a transdermal that you rub in the ear.

52. Ozzy Pawzbourne

thanks!

53. JanetNJ

you can get Gabapentin much cheaper online!!!! I give it for arthritis pain. I get 100 Gabapentin capsules (I give 1/2 a capsule twice a day) is $28 on 1800petmeds.com

54. Ozzy Pawzbourne

I assume you need a script from vet? thanks for info.

55. JanetNJ

You enter your vets info and they contact the vet for approval. Easy.

56. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

For some reason, Figgie popped into my head today. I just hope that you all are doing well.