Think these vitamins would effect sugar levels?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by breayle and jake, Jul 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. breayle and jake

breayle and jake Member

Hey guys, I've been giving Jake some vitamins I get from work by Standard Process. I love them because they use whole foods (mostly animal organs) to make their vitamins. Jake is on two of their vitamins right now:

Feline Whole Body Support:
    http://www.standardprocess.com/display/VeterinaryCatalog.spi?ID=351

Catalyn:
    http://www.standardprocess.com/display/StandardProcessCatalog.spi?ID=34

Do you think the ingredients in these will up his levels? I'm having a hard time telling because he was getting this when he was hitting 40s and 50s, and now he's all crazy and high so I'm not sure. What do you think?

-Breayle and Jake

2. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

I think I'd stay away from the Catalyn, honey and glycerin will raise BGs.

Other Ingredients: Honey, glycerin, arabic gum, ascorbic acid, calcium stearate, cholecalciferol, pyridoxine hydrochloride, starch, sucrose (beets), vitamin A palmitate, cocarboxylase, and riboflavin.

I think for right now I'd stick with the dose you gave this morning. You started a new vial of insulin, 3U BID last week was too much, but the 2.5U seems to be too little, so maybe 2.75U will be the right dose. When did you start the Catalyn?

3. breayle and jake

breayle and jake Member

I started him on the Catalyn a couple weeks ago, I saw the other ingredients and normally I say "NO" to those types of ingredients, but he was being VERY finicky about food and refused to eat anything canned cat food wise. So I was feeding him Alaskan wild caught salmon from trader joe's. It was the best I could do, seeing as it was the whole fish body (minus guts) but Still had skin and bones on it. So I started giving him the Whole Body Support and the Catalyn. Not sure if I ended up making a wrong choice to get him the vitamins he needs.

He's doing much better food wise now. At the moment he's eating chicken liver, hearts and giblets mixed with shredded chicken breast. He also gets Before Grain 95% Quail if he eats it. And a lot of the time he doesn't, which is why I started giving him the vitamins.

He's a real stinker...

-Breayle and Jake

4. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

What was he eating before the diabetes, before you starting changing food?

Before Grain is a great snack, but it doesn't have the vitamins and minerals he needs, as you know.

What canned foods have you tried? Wellness, EVO, Friskies, Fancy Feast, 9-Lives, all of these, plus many more can be great choices for FDs.

Tucker was a dry food addict when adopted, he started eating only Fancy Feast salmon flavor for a few weeks before he eventually tried beef feast and chicken and beef feast. Now he'll about 4 different varieties of FF for meals, for his meds he gets a Petco only food called Soulistic which is also grain free.

5. breayle and jake

breayle and jake Member

Jake was eating some cheap dry kibble, it was like 20lbs for $9.99! My dad was feeding all my outdoor kitties that!

Jake has tried all of the canned food. He had a thing where he refused to eat it. I streer clear of 9 lives and fancy feast because I do not like the ingredients in their foods. I know there are plenty of FD friendly versions, I just don't like their foods.

Jake likes Weruva, EVO, Wellness, Before Grain (he eats bother 100% quail and 95% quail. In the 95% versions they have AAFCO balanced nutrients for kitty). I also made him this raw food for a while: http://www.catnutrition.org/recipes.php but he got over that pretty quick. I have also tried other premade raw stuff that he eventually gets bored of. He's really finicky and I sort of have to change what he eats from time to time or he wont eat it at all. Not sure what to do about that.

-Breayle and Jake

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.