Thoughts on Tiki Cat brand food?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lindsay Adams, Sep 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lindsay Adams

Lindsay Adams New Member

Hello!

I am new to this page and this is my first post. I have done some research and food trials with my Bumper, and the only wet food he really seems to like is the Tiki Cat brand. Does anyone have experience with this food they would like to share? Is it really safe for diabetic kitties? I read on the food chart it has zero carbs do that seems like it would make it a good choice. I have tried to Purina DM and the Royal Canin Glycobalance foods as recommended by his vet but he does NOT like them. I would also prefer something as close to all natural as possible, but with the convenience of the can.
    He used to eat Wellness brand food, but I heard that is not good for diabetic cats.

Also, what is the recommended amount to feed him? He is hovering around 7-8lbs now--was once a full 12 lb cat!

Any information is helpful--thank you!

Tasha & Darwin likes this.
  2. Tasha & Darwin

Tasha & Darwin Well-Known Member

I wish my boy would eat Tiki! He's only just accepted canned food at all in the past several months (since being diagnosed), and he was a die-hard kibble addict before that. I tried Tiki a few times because I'd heard it was super palatable, but he wasn't interested. He seems to only like that pate-type food. From what I've seen, Tiki is a GREAT choice, and very good for diabetics.

Lindsay Adams likes this.
  3. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Tiki is great food for cats. Mine don't like the texture though.

4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Tiki Cat is a great choice. I wanted my girls to like it. It was one of the first brands I tried when converting them to wet food, but unfortunately, they did not care for it. (I take it you have already seen the cat food database? If not, check it out as it is a very helpful tool when deciding what to feed.) I would consider Tiki Cat at better choice than Purina DM or Royal Canin due to the lower carb percentage. Feeding fish all the time is not a good idea, so hopefully, you are going with one of the other options.. I know they have a couple of chicken ones.

On the Tiki Cat site, here is what it says for feeding guidelines for Puka Puka Luau :
    For adult cats:
    2.8 oz. can: 1-2 cans per 7 lbs. bodyweight
    6 oz. can: 1 cans per 7 lbs. bodyweight

There is also a formula for figuring out how many calories a cat should have. I do not know it off the top of my head, but I am someone else can share it with you.

5. Lindsay Adams

Lindsay Adams New Member

That is helpful - thank you! Is it 1-2 2.8 oz cans per day or per feeding? I've been doing 2 per day and he seems to still be hungry (duh, diabetic cat, but he's skinny and we're trying to get him to gain some weight). Maybe I will go for the 6oz cans since there is just a bit more in there per serving...

6. Squeakycats

Squeakycats Member

If he's skinny, I'd say let him eat until he's not hungry (unless he's like my Willa, who will gorge herself until she throws up). Tiki Cat is an excellent choice! If the shredded meat texture is what he likes, you could also try Fussie Cat (a little cheaper) or some of the Weruva flavors (but you have to watch those; they're not all low-carb).

Some people find that their cats do better with several small feedings rather than a couple of big ones, even if that just means one in the morning, one right when you get home from work (if that's the case), and one right before bed. (Some people use timed feeders, or freeze some wet food and put it out to thaw during the day while they're away.) You just have to be sure he doesn't eat during the 2 hours right before his test, so you know his blood glucose measurement isn't being affected by a recent meal.

7. FurBabiesMama

That would be daily, for a 7lb cat. I also found the calorie info on their site. Again, this is specific to Puka Puka Luau; you will need to check their site for the info for the specific flavor(s) you are using:
    69 kcal/2.8oz can
    147 kcal/6oz can

I believe you are supposed to base the daily calories on your cat's ideal weight rather than their current weight. I just googled it and found that an average outdoor cat should have about 35 calories per lb of lean body weight and an indoor one should have about 20 calories per lb. That varies, however, based on your cat's activity level.

The AAHA Diabetes Guidelines recommend feeding four times a day, and they say that an underweight cat can free feed. So, I would calculate the calories based on what Bumper's healthy weight would be and try feeding him that. If he still acts very hungry, since he is underweight and not yet regulated, I would give him more.

8. Akasha

Akasha New Member

I was looking at the Tiki brand too.. specifically the After Dark formulas but i'm not sure my cat would like the texture since she loves pate-textured food. It seems like a great food though but i don't know if I want to take the risk of spending money on something she might not eat. She can be picky and has a sensitive tummy. I'm leaning towards Dave's 95% Premium canned food. The chicken and chicken liver comes in pate which again my cat likes but i can't seem to make a decision. Wish I could try samples before taking the plunge.

9. FurBabiesMama

Can't you just buy one can of each that you want to try? That basically is a sample, just not free. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.