Thoughts please on Mo's numbers...

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Sue (Mo's Mum), Jun 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sue (Mo's Mum)

Sue (Mo's Mum) Member

Sorry if this is long - this is MO's background to date and I would greatly appreciate thoughts on his numbers as I'm not sure what to do going forward?

We started out at the end of April with a diagnosis of pancreatitis and diabetes, changed his diet from dry to wet and started with Prozinc insulin - I took the decision to home test although the vet wasn't on board with the testing at that time - suggesting I give 1.5u 2 x day and watch for signs of hypos :woot:.

Thanks to advice on here, we quickly lowered his doses according to AMPS and PMPS readings and looked to be heading towards not needing insulin.

At the same time as his antibiotics ended, his numbers got higher - discussion with vet resulted in further antibiotics. She was 'amused' at my home testing.... I think she thought I was a little crazy :banghead:!

About that time, I discovered Mo was breaking and entering at the Vicar's next door, helping himself to their cat food, terrorising them and using their litter tray.... and then sauntering home! The Vicar's wife, on realising we hadn't abandoned him whilst off on a jolly felt less sorry for Mo and is now spraying him with water whenever he comes to visit - Mo has got the message :)!

We had a holiday booked, so checked in at the vet for a booster so he could go to kennels, only to find after a stressful car journey there that they wouldn't do it as he was on antibiotics :banghead:.

At that point I was working long days and Mo's numbers had dropped, so I took the decision to skip his insulin and free feed him given there would be no-ne to check on him should he have a hypo.

We quickly drafted in my son's girlfriend and off we went on our jolly's :) ... she misread the instructions on when to give insulin and gave him some randomly and then she got sick herself and end up in hospital for four days!!!! So, son took over and we took the decision to feed him with the auto feeder and skip insulin, as he works shifts and could not be here for all the regular readings.

Gold medal if you've made it this far!!!! ;)

Since he's been off the insulin over the last 10 days, his numbers have all stayed low, under 200 / 11.1, with the exception of a couple - but he's an outdoor cat and does catch mice and birds so I'd expect the odd weird reading.

The vet was looking for me to get his numbers to between 100 and 200 / 5.5 and 11 - but I don't know if that was based on a pet meter or a human meter.... and I'm ditching her and about to go see a new vet!

Do I continue as is, or give him a small amount of insulin?

Many thanks guys!

Sue x

Tilou likes this.
  2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Well, you've had an adventure, haven't you?! :confused::(

He's doing quite well on no insulin. Most vets would say that's good enough. We might differ in our assessment and say he could be a bit lower to promote more healing of his pancreas. Are you using a human or a pet meter? He's not an overly reactive cat so you could try 0.25 u eyeballed as carefully as you can manage. Aim for consistency rather than absolute accuracy. You're testing enough to know what he does with a dose. A +2 test is often predictive of a possibly "active" (=possibly exciting) cycle.

Stealing from the Vicar - Bad Cat!! :smuggrin:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    Tilou likes this.
  3. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Are you kidding?!? I couldn't stop reading! :joyful: What a little rascal!

I agree with Kris, I think I would try a tiny dose and see if you can't get him into slightly better numbers. His numbers certainly aren't terrible, but we aim for under 120 (human meter) or 150 (pet meter) before taking them off of insulin altogether. Hopefully a little boost will get him down into fully healthy numbers soon!

Tilou likes this.
  4. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Okay, I imagined that whole scene with him going next door! Mo was sneaky!!! I can just imagine your neighbor being so shocked when she realized he was just trying to get some extra food!!

Yes, I agree with Kris and Djamila too!

5. Sue (Mo's Mum)

Sue (Mo's Mum) Member

Thanks guys! I'll try him on 0.25u and see how he goes with that. I'm home most of next week so I can better keep an eye on him!

I've apologised to the neighbourhood..... It seems the Vicar isn't the only victim!

The local coffee shop now sports a nice poster with this little poem....

Morrissey Rowe is our small ginger Tom...
    He likes to stay out, and he doesn’t come home!
    But he’s now Diabetic and he can’t eat some foods,
    So he’s searching for biscuits... all over this ‘hood
    He can only eat wet food in jelly you see...
    Cat biscuits are too high in carbs for his tea!
    But he loves them too much - they’re his form of ‘crack’
    And in order to get them, he’ll terrorise your cat!
    We bought him a collar that said ‘please do not feed’,
    But he ditched that quite quickly, perhaps up a tree?
    Please if you see him do not entertain!
    Squirt him with water, or make a small din!
    If he’s eaten your cat’s food, or slept in their bed,
    (Like he has at The Vicar’s - were our faces red!)
    Then we’d like to say sorry, we’re doing our best,
    And we’d love if you’d help us with our small request.
    Please send him homewards, he’ll soon get the gist
    That other cats dinners are theirs...and not his!

Kris & Teasel and Djamila like this.
  6. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

:joyful::woot: That's amazing! Did you write that??? I love that the coffee shop put that up!

7. Sue (Mo's Mum)

Sue (Mo's Mum) Member

Thank you... I did indeedy write it - feel free to pilfer it! :)

Djamila likes this.
  8. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

LOL...I'm dying laughing. That is fantastic! I bet your community loves it - and what a great way to help keep your kitty out of trouble!

9. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

That poem is so funny and very clever!

10. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Amazing poem, amazing kitty! And highly entertaining. He sounds like a real character and I like him, it's those bad boys that appeal yanno.

Sue (Mo's Mum) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.