Thoughts???

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Lisa and little, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

so I put on my big girl panties and shot my normal dose on a lower than usual PS this am - knowing I would be home to monitor. We are doing fine. Green actually which is rare in my world. The question is I have noticed when she is in the low 100s and greens she drools like crazy!! Now she always was a bit of a drooler in general ... I used to sometimes called her droolie Julie but this seems odd. Could she just be so used to operating at higher numbers that she’s “freaking out” a bit by being in normal BG range? My concern is that even though her numbers are good and safe perhaps she operates better at slightly high mid 100s levels? As we know ECID!!

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

That was a successful experiment and useful data going forward. I don't know what to say about the drooling. Have you been able to associate the drooling with her mood or behaviour in the past? Yes, some kitties feel better in slightly higher good numbers. Many say it's because the body hasn't yet adjusted to normal numbers but I'm not so sure that's always the case. My opinion only. The insulin might have a stronger systemic effect when the dose is large enough to give a lot of green and it might make some kitties feel less well.

3. Lisa and little

Well -yes. As she was always a drooler to a point when she snuggled in but lately when her numbers go low albeit good low it seems excessive. For all I know this girl has been somewhat diabetic/a high runner forever. she was a foster that basically got abandoned by even the foster group and although they said she was vetted it turned out she was never even spayed! So I have no medical history. And yes. Of course she is spayed now. :smuggrin:

Djamila, Kris & Teasel and JanetNJ like this.
  4. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Some kitties do feel icky when they first find their way to the good numbers. The longer they spend there, the better they feel though - it takes time to find their new normal. However, I also agree with Kris, that there are probably some cats who simply feel better in the healthy blues than they do in the greens.

Great job shooting on the lower number today! And it looks like Little handled it well (other than the drooling). :cat: Not sure what to say about the drooling. My civvie drools whenever he gets love. Any chance you were paying more attention to Little today? more chin scratches and kisses while you were getting the extra tests? Atty doesn't drool much if he's left to himself, but if he's snuggled up or getting attention he's like a little waterfall.

5. Lisa and little

Hi Djamila. Yes she usually drools when happy/snuggling etc. but this is different. I think she is just not used to normal numbers and it probably feels too low to her. At one point she was sacked out hard so I thought maybe she went too low but test showed in the 90s. She looks and acts like her normal self lately and her back legs are almost back to normal even though her numbers don’t reflect as really good or normal. I was actually surprised by today and ready with the hypo tools just in case but she did well. Tonight back up to 406... trampoline kitty!! Thanks for checking up on us!!

6. Djamila

That describes our evening here pretty well too. I still get nervous shooting on really low numbers too, even though Sam has a long track record of being just fine.

It's so good to hear that Little's legs are doing well! While the numbers are important, those regular, daily-life indicators of health and wellness are super important too. I was thinking about the drooling some more....my hunch is that you're right and she just felt kind of woozy at the lower numbers today. But it can also be a sign of a dental issue, so if it doesn't go back to normal soon, you might consider having the vet take a good long look at her teeth.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  7. Lisa and little

Woah girl you have courage!!! . Curious to see where the rest of your evening goes. As for the drooling.. droolie Julie’s teeth are fine. I think she felt a bit off being green for an extended period (At least for her ) today. First day I brought her home she came out of the carrier crawled up on me and drooled away...i think she probably just felt weird and based on the PMPs clearly her body reacted ... wishing you and Sam a dark green evening.

8. Djamila

Sam is one of the rare cats who treats Prozinc a little like Lantus. I can shoot on some pretty low numbers and he'll stay nice and steady. I definitely don't suggest most people shoot on a green like that, as most cats would dive straight down. There are also slightly different "rules" if a cat is on their second diagnosis, or has been diabetic longer than six months. Sam is in both of those categories. It's far worse for him if I skip or lower by much...he does better if I just take a deep breath and keep the dose relatively consistent, no matter what number he gives me.

9. Lisa and little

I would need to keep a supply of Xanax on hand to shoot that low.!!! You must have some intestinal fortitude!! He stayed steady... you mentioned he responded to Prozinc more like Lantus... more steady. I am not familiar with how the 2 are different. I am in month 4 of insulin but I know Little has been diabetic long befor I started treating (hindsight being 20:20). I wish I listened to my gut and she would have started treatment earlier and had a better chance at remission. yes I beat myself up over this. Anyway do you think based on her bouncy numbers she might do better on Lantus? I would be scared to switch it up as I am just getting a feel for how she reacts to Prozinc but maybe something else could give a better result?

10. Kris & Teasel

Djamila's Sam and my Teasel are perfect examples of how differently kitties can react to insulin. :confused::)

11. Lisa and little

Yes. I certainly have learned ECID!! Can you tell
    Me what the letters before the shot unit doses mean in your SS?

12. Kris & Teasel

s = skinny = very slightly less than (a drop less)
    F = fat = very slightly more than ( a drop more)

13. Lisa and little

:rolleyes: DUH!! To early in the week for a fried brain!thabks Kris

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  14. Djamila

I would suggest doing some reading over on the Lantus forum. They do things a bit differently over there, so getting a feel for both the forum and the insulin will be important. I do think Little might benefit from a longer lasting insulin, and you're just about at the point where switching might make sense. It's usually recommended to give an insulin about six months before trying another one.

Sam had a rather bad reaction to Lantus, but that is quite rare. Most cats do very well on it.

My guess is that having a longer lasting insulin would help to hold those PS numbers down better. Although I'd be very sad to see you leave. :oops:

15. Lisa and little

I’ll never leave. I’m a lifer here with you guys...

Djamila and Kris & Teasel like this.
  16. Kris & Teasel

If you switch to Lantus you can still come here whenever you want - just like I do. :smuggrin:

Djamila likes this.
  17. Lisa and little

I’m NEVER leaving here ... I’ll be the 80 yr old cat lady someday hopefully here just to help others. I have to pay back for all you’ve done for me!!

Rachel, Kris & Teasel and Djamila like this.
  18. Djamila

That's how the board keeps going! It only works when people join, learn, and then pay it forward to others. :bighug:

Rachel and Kris & Teasel like this.