? Three very important questions. 1. About vomitting. 2. About days away home protocol 3. Vacations

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Silvina, Nov 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silvina

Silvina Member

How are you all!!

First of all, I just have to say that I feel like shxxxxx it... because when you arleady know in advance that you are overfeeding your cat and yous till do it.. and your cat is meowing and meowing manipulating you and you keep on feeding because you are just a weak person knowing that in 5...4...3....2...1... he will vomit all.... and then HE DOES!!!

S...H....I...T I HATE MYSELF FOR THAT....

So my question to you is, those vomits right after eating... what exactly should I do... some time is because of overfeeding.. sometimes is just because (some times is because he eats quick, or because his BG is high, or because food is the type he tends to vomit for example cow heart and sometimes tuna fish). Now he vomited soup, it was too much water in it. He usually doesn´t vomit soup. So, how much time you take to feed him again. He usually begs for food about 30 minutes after that.

Second, I still couldn´t find the way to find someone to come home to feed my cats when I go to mom´s house to sleep over. I try to go to her house after work, have dinner, sleep over and come back home at midday, that will be aprox. 17 to 19 hours or little less.

The bad thing is that this time I had to leave early close to shot time which left nadir uncover with food.

Im now changing shot time to 1am 1pm. which is better for us.

So question is. If Markies wasn´t diabetic, in nature do cat fast as dogs? Is this fasting too harming? Now, being Markies diabetic, considering that he is not receiving his dose, how harmful could this period be with no food no insuline?

Third. Mom wants to go on vacations. If she makes it till summer time (January) I have to go with her at least some days (just a couple, I can't go for much since I have to work, anyway I have to think about this). Markies is a very stressed cat. He suffers terribly car rides. He has cardiac problems beside his diabetes. Obviously I will not leave him here with no insluine so If I take him with me it will be a 5 hours car ride. Can I sedate him? Obviously this is a vet question but Im affraid he will not make it and I will not make it with him being so bad. This is so fxx... difficult I wish I die first believe me!!!

2. Silvina

Silvina Member

SHOULD I SEPARATE THIS ON DIFFERENT THREADS???? :eek::confused::cool:

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Sorry for no responses, but the board is quiet over the US long weekend. As an alternative, you can post in Health for more eyes on your questions.

For scarf and barf, you have a couple of options. One is smaller meals so they don't have too much food in at once. Timed feeders can help. Another option is to slow down the eating. You can freeze portions of it so they have to wait until it thaws, or put something in their dish so they have to work to get at the food. Something like a rock that is clean and too big for them to swallow. You can buy pet dishes with bumps in them that slow down the eating.

Cats do not fast like dogs. They eat several small mouse or bird sized meals throughout the day.

I took Neko on long car rides, nine hours. I thought she would hate it. I gave her Rescue Remedy and sprayed her carrier with Feliway and she was fine after the first half hour. I have heard of some people giving gabapentin to sedate cats.

Silvina likes this.
  4. Toro & Ovi

Toro & Ovi Member

Toro pretty much developed a dog's schedule...eating for 6-8 hours, fasting for the next 4-6 (after nadir). He seems to be ok, not really desperate to get his next food before +1 (when the 12 hours feeding cycle starts). This schedule probably helps to keep his BG cycle constant, too.
    Toro was on this type of feeding for his whole life - canned food 12 hours apart with dry food at discretion for the rest of the day (and he only used the dry food as a snack) - that's probably the reason of being comfortable with the current feeding schedule.
    Every cat is different, you should do what seems to work better for yours.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
    Silvina likes this.
  5. Silvina

Silvina Member

Thank you girls. No rush anyway. I can wait for answers. I can re post this thread.

6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

If he tends to eat too fast try spreading it out thin on a large paper plate so it takes him a while to lick it all up. Unregulated cats usually are hungry and need to eat more than regulated/non diabetics. Several small meals works for most of us. For the times you are at your mom's and it's a meal time, you could set up a timed feeder. adding an ice cube to the food, freezing it, or getting a feeder with an ice compartment will keep it fresh. Your cat will still need a shot every 12 hours though, so not sure how that will work out with your sleepover schedule. how far away is your mom's house from your house?

You will have to talk to the vet about getting a travel sedative. In the meantime keep searching for someone willing to come to the house to take care of him since it's only for a few days. Offer to pay a friend, or ask the vet's office if any of the vet techs do pet sitting on the side.

Silvina and Stacy & Asia like this.
  7. Silvina

Silvina Member

this part is so tough, no one comes here for that. I still can take him to moms hous knowigh that the advantage will be stress and BG impact, but at least he will have food and insulin in his system.

Ive been out this days so so stressed out. Cant tell. Its been one year of dads passing and then well... too much drama.. dont want to make this a sope ophra.

I will open a new condo so you can watch the ss.

8. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

You need to go back to one unit. Not sure why you lowered it from 1. You may find you actually need to do 1.25.

9. Silvina

Silvina Member

Janet, for dosing I opened this condo if you want to join it. The one you opened is old, no one ended answering at the time I was online, I understood you were on hollydays and then I was in trouble here.

but if you don´t understand something, may be you can simply ask and have an answer.
    In this condo you will see my answers. The quick one, Im preparinf for shot time now, is that he was having early huge drops at 1.25 so that dose was not correct. He had a couple of HYPOS. Then at 1 there was not much problem but also some early drops and then he settled at 0.75 whicm makes me feel comfortable.
    Here things are very complicated. My mother is close to passing, and I may need to run at any moment, I have to sleep over at her house leaving Markies with no food and no insulin since I have no other support here (I may have someone to ask come feed them but with carbs once) but still difficult to contact this people. Also may need to run before Markies nadir and may not be comming back until next day, so dose should be conservative enough for my sake and for Markies life.

That´s a quick question to your doubt.

This is the condo. You are invited to go there. http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...ose-opinions-appreciated.187580/#post-2082314

10. Silvina

Silvina Member

I will take him to the cardiologyst for an ultrasound and ask for a protocol for long car rides due to his cardiomyopathy. I will ask him for sedation.

11. Silvina

Silvina Member

FINALLY I DECIDED TO CHANGE THE DOSE AGAIN!!!
    LOL. I WENT BACK TO 1 UNIT. :nailbiting:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.