Thumper 5/28 & 5/29

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Barbara, May 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barbara

Barbara Well-Known Member

AMPS - 247
    +2 - 295

Getting a curve today, hopefully it will reveal what's going on with her.

2. Rob & Harley (GA)

Rob & Harley (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: Thumper 5/28

Nicer AMPS than you've seen for a while. Good luck with the curve today. Hopefully it will reveal something interesting.

3. Barbara

Joanna, if you see this...in response to your answer from last night's question about the +6, yes that's what I meant...even if I didn't have any other #'s...but I didn't stay up anyway!

Got my #'s from today on SS but I'll post them here so you don't have to go look.
    AMPS - 247
    +2 - 295
    +4 - 241
    +6 - 280
    +8 - 290
    +10 - 289

It seems like to me every time I do a curve the numbers pretty much stay the same. I'm thinking of increasing the dosage. I'm calling what I have been shooting a fat 1 but was using the U40 syringes since I had been shooting 1 Unit, I wanted to get rid of them. So that could possibly be the same as 1.2 so maybe I should go to 1.4?

4. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Wow, mega-blah, eh? I'd raise. How are the ketones looking?

5. Barbara

PMPS - 306
    I raised to 1.4

Ketones....the dreaded mystery. I posted over on health & it sounds like the Precision Xtra meter might not be all that reliable and I haven't caught her peeing in several days. I tested her sister civvie & it was reading the same as the last time I tested Thumper....looks like trace to me. I will try to do the blood one anyway the next time I do BG. It takes a LOT more blood & for some reason all day today I haven't been getting much.

6. Rob & Harley (GA)

Sorry about your blah day.

Try really warming up her ear, it will bleed better for that Precision Extra meter. At least you might be able to get a reading.

7. Barbara

+4 - 106

She dropped 200 in 4 hrs! Didn't see that coming either! I wish she would do this kinda drop in the daytime when I don't want to go to bed! UGH....

8. Barbara

+6 - 71 and ketones 1.1 so that's a good sign...now my problem is should I go to sleep? nailbite_smile

9. Barbara

an hour & 1/2 later she is at 68...don't understand why she's not coming back up at this point but I gave her another snack.

10. Barbara

Just in case anyone is around sometime in the next hr. We are at +10.5 and she's only 117 assuming she comes up in the next 1.5 hrs what should I shoot? I'm lost now since it seems my "fat" 1 Unit was not enough but I guess 1.4 is too much do I go to 1.2? That seems too high to shoot unless she rises above 250 in a hurry...which knowing how she does things she just might. :?

11. Barbara

I'll put all the #'s in one post

PMPS - 306 sot 1.4
    +4 - 106
    +6- - 71
    +8 - 68
    +10.5 - 117
    +11.5 - 117
    +12 - 153
    +12.5 - 155

They are all starving....civvie is licking my leg :lol: So I fed them.....I just don't know what to shoot?

12. Rob & Harley (GA)

Wow, I'm sorry you went through all that alone.

I would lower the dose but you don't want to lower too much, 1/2 to 3/4 is what is usually suggested, so that would be like .7u or 1u, will you be around to test mid cycle for nadir?

13. Barbara

Robin, I hope you're still on....don't know if you read the whole thing...I was giving a "fat" 1 U with the U 40 syringe so not really sure where that would be on the U100. When I switched back last night I went to 1.4 with the U 100. Should I go back down to 1 Unit?

14. Barbara

Duh....lack of sleep...I see you said .7 or 1 unit! @-)

15. Barbara

Yes, I will be home.

16. Rob & Harley (GA)

I'd go with the .6 or .7 (if you're back on U100 syringes) if you aren't going to be around to test, .8 to 1u if you can test nadir.

You're going to need a nap today.

17. Barbara

I was just drawing the 1 Unit then started thinking about her only being @ 155 and the whole no shoot thing of 180 - 200. Am I still ok to shoot 1 Unit....that seemed to low before last night...I don't want her to go back to 300 but don't want to go too low either?

18. Barbara

And I did switch back to U100 syringes....I was just trying to use up the U40's cause I didn't want to waste them since I was shooting 1 unit. Do you suppose there could be some slight variation in the dosing? It's amazing to me that she was 306 & had been in mid 200's then I go up just that small amount & this happens. confused_cat

19. Rob & Harley (GA)

You know me, I'd wouldn't shoot 1u on a 155.

I'd probably go with .6 or .7u, maybe .8u.

20. Barbara

I was thinking I could check her again but I hate to & don't know how much good that would do anyway since I fed her. It's been an hour since she ate. But why was the 1 unit not enough all last week?

And I decided to edit the date instead of starting a new thread for today since I wanted to keep all my overnight info.

21. Rob & Harley (GA)

It's hard to say. With Harley 1 unit wasn't enough but 1.4 was too much. I did alot of dancing around between 1.1u and 1.3u. ECID

22. Rob & Harley (GA)

So what did you shoot?

23. Barbara

shot .8

So what #'s should I get today, which are most important? I hate to keep poking her ears every 2 hrs.

24. Rob & Harley (GA)

I think I'd get a +3 to check for an early drop. If no early drop I'd check again at +5.

25. Joanna & Bix (GA)

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would not have lowered quite that much, but as long as she is doing ok and ketones aren't bad, no biggie. My logic would be that you didn't get any traction off the fat 1u, so you are looking for a dose somewhere between that and 1.4. Given the PS was quite a bit lower than usual I might have still gone back to the fat 1 for safety, or 1.2 if I were feeling brave. When you are home to test and ketones are an issue, I would generally say shoot the most you feel comfortable rather than the least, and feed a little extra if needed. With non-ketone kitties I think we often advise going with the lower end of what you are comfortable with, since there's less risk from the high #s, and then it's easy to raise the next time. I'm not sure we are not doing people a disservice with that, but as I'm a chicken nailbite_smile that's where I tend to lean.

Anyhow, I realize I am after the fact so it's not useful advice :mrgreen: , but I still say it for future reference and for any newbies following along.

Hope today goes great!!! If she goes higher by PMPS (which would be what I would expect to see), I would try 1.2 tonight, and if you can, get in a spot test anywhere from +3 to +6 to try to evaluate that dose.

Last nights #s were beautiful though, so I wouldn't be freaked out at all. The reasons I see that you wouldn't stay with that dose despite the perfect #s are that the % drop is more than 70%, and the next PS at +12 was SO much lower than the initial one, that you wouldn't want to continue that trend. Other than that though, the drop doesn't look too steep (probably right on the border of too steep, but no rebound numbers this morning, so looks good). So it may be that she will need something like 1.3, but for safety I lean towards trying 1.1 and 1.2 before going there. If the PS is high tonight though I'd go with 1.2, and then if a lot lower again in the morning, pull back to 1.1.

26. Barbara

Grrr....+3 - 258

And my times are all wacky now. I was already an hr late from my usual time due to me being late getting home Friday & then over sleeping Sat. but this morning put me 1.5 hours later than that. So by Tues. morning I have to move back 2.5 hrs. What's the best way to accomplish that?

I was worried about the steep drop last night when shooting this morning. I see what you are saying though. As far as tonight which readings I can get are gonna depend on what time I shoot. If I continue with the current schedule for today it will be 9:00 pm EST before I shoot. After last night I'm afraid I won't be able to stay up for a +3. And I don't want another night with 3 hrs. sleep, my old body can't cope! @-) That's about how I felt at one point last night.

27. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Don't let the higher +3 ruin your day. It's pretty much expected if you lower the dose quite a bit, and many of us have been exactly where you are. It's tough on those 150 PSs b/c they tend to come all of a sudden - it's not like most cats give you a nice tidy 220 PS, then a 200, then a 190, etc. so you really get a feel for it. It's often sort of all or nothing, and you get this great PS and have no idea what to do. So you try something, gather data, and that's how you get to the doses that work - trial & error and process of elimination. And of course Thumper had some great #s on lower doses, so that will definitely throw you for a loop when trying to figure out what dose is best.

So... see what your +5 is (or whatever spot tests you are planning), and if you don't get a good nadir then next time you see a blue PS you'll know it's safe to shoot more.

On the timing question, I would shoot a couple hours early tonight if the #s permit. I would guess this is an undershoot, so it's a good one to shoot early from. If you need to gain 2.5 hours, I would probably go for 2 hrs early tonight (#s permitting of course), and then 30 min on a different shot. If the #s don't go high on this cycle and you see better #s as things progress, then you might do something like 1 hr early for each of the next 3 shots, but if the #s go high I would try to gain as much of the time as you can tonight & be done with it.

28. Joanna & Bix (GA)

p.s. if you shoot at +10 tonight you might hack 0.1 or 0.2 off your dose. No more than, and only that if you are shooting a solid dose. If you want to shoot lighter tonight, then I wouldn't pare back any more from that. (so don't shoot something like 1.4 at +10, that's what I'm trying to say!)

29. Barbara

+6 is still 258?
    What does that mean?

I can go with shooting @ +10 no problem & especially since she's staying higher today but I don't think I followed the shaving off cause I don't know what I should shoot even if I was at +12. Unless we have something weird going on (wouldn't be surprised at that!) it looks like the 1.4 was too much and it looks like to me that 1 U wasn't enough, so it makes sense to go to 1.2, but you're saying knock some off that?

30. Barbara

Yikes, Joanna it looks like you left. Hopefully you or someone will be back before my +10 which will be 7:00 EST cause I'd rather get back on schedule if I can tonight. That would really leave me with a 1/2 hr to make up tomorrow but I think that's ok. Just taking everything into consideration I would shoot 1.2 since she's back over 250 but like I said did you mean to take some off since I'm really shooting at +10? I think I'm starting to ramble...still haven't slept! I'm planning on getting a +8 also, which will be 5:00 pm EST. Stay tuned......

31. Barbara

+8 - 273

Looks like we're going back over 300, especially if I wait the entire 12 hrs. Should I shoot 1.2?

32. Rob & Harley (GA)

I would go ahead and shoot a 1u or a 1.1u. What Joanna meant by shaving some off the dose is that an early shot = a dose increase, a late shot = a dose decrease.

I hope I'm in time.

33. Barbara

Yep, I haven't done anything yet...I'm going to test in about 15 mins. Thanks!

34. Barbara

PMPS which is really +10 - 280

I'm trying to understand this and granted I'm a little slow & pretty tired right now but you're saying early = dose increase cause the insulin hasn't had the full 12 hrs to get out of her system? And again...1.4 was too much "fat"1 was too little so go with 1.1, especially since it hasn't been the full 12 hrs yet?

35. Rob & Harley (GA)

Right, so if you want to go with a 1.2u but you're 2 hours early you would shave a .1 or .2 off of that 1.2 to make it a 1u or 1.1u to adjust for the early shot.

I'm gonna go look at your ss again.

36. Barbara

Shot 1.1 and I'm about to pass out! I was trying to get stuff done today so I stayed up but I gotta go lay on the couch for a bit! Thanks for the help & I'll check her @ either +2 or +3 cause I know someone's gonna come in here & wake me up....if they let me fall asleep!

37. Rob & Harley (GA)

You deserve a nap.

38. Joanna & Bix (GA)

You got it!!!! Don't freak yourself out too much - I wouldn't say the 1.4 was *way* too much, just slightly too much. You want like a 60% - 70% drop and I think that was more like 78%, so really just a little too much. And you didn't see low #s on that, so it's not like she's likely to hypo on 1.4, it's just a hair too much (I mean, I wouldn't shoot it on a 100 or something, don't get me wrong, but I don't see anything to be overly worried about).

39. Joanna & Bix (GA)

p.s. once you are awake again :) I'd put a "+10" in your SS to the right or left of the dose so it's clear you gave the shot early, so when people are evaluating how things went on the 1.1 they will know to take that into account

40. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

Wow what a day I missed! I agree with going down to 1.2u or 1.1u now. The higher numbers you are seeing today are probably in response to the lower green numbers Thumper saw in the previous cycle. It is pretty normal to happen while kitty is getting used to hitting the greens more often. It should pass in the next cycle or two.

41. Barbara

+3 - 181

Hopefully she won't go back up!

42. Barbara

Joanna, hopefully I fixed the SS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.