Thursday was just diagnosed yesterday!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by TreeloverAng, Feb 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TreeloverAng

TreeloverAng New Member

Hello all. My name is Angela and my 14 year old cat, Thursday, was diagnosed yesterday after a very scary and stressful afternoon. He was experiencing DKA, was at 616, very dehydrated, low blood pressure and low temp and so many other terrible things. Right now he is in the care of emergency vet techs as his normal vet was not able to help. Although I am facing some incredible care costs, I am feeling hopeful.

I am looking forward to perusing all of the info here and learning how to best care for my loved one.

We are located in Boulder, CO and I am hopeful that there is a local support group. If not, I look forward to creating one.

I am terrified, but hopeful.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2015
    Reason for edit: Removed fundraiser link pending Admin. approval.
  2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

That's a harsh introduction to diabetes!
    And welcome to FDMB. We are worldwide and online.
    There are 4 things needed to manage your cat's diabetes.
    1) You - without you, nothing else will work
    2) a good insulin for cats - Levemir, ProZinc, Lantus, and BCP PZI all last about 12 hours in the cat. Other insulins last less than that, leaving the glucose uncontrolled until the next shot so insist on one of these 4.
    3) home glucose testing with an inexpensive human glucometer such as the WalMart ReliOn Confirm or the Target Up and Up, matching test strips, and lancets for alternate site testing (they are26-28 gauge and improve the chances of a successful test). Sometimes, there may be someone near you who can show you the ropes of home testing. Lots of folks watch You Tube videos and literally take a stab at it. It can help to test on yourself first, to get a feel for it.
    4) low carb over the counter food - there's a good feline nutrition site at Cat Info written by a vet, plus a downloadable food list to use when shopping.

3. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Angela and welcome to FDMB. Hopefully Thursday will be home with you soon.

Receiving a diagnosis of feline diabetes is scary, but it is a very manageable disease with the proper diet, insulin and home testing. Many cats live for years after their initial diagnosis. You already have received some great advice above of what you will need. For cat food, many of us feed our cats either Friskies or Fancy Feast pate flavors. You want to start eliminating dry food from Thursday's diet. Dry food is high in carbs and will make it more difficult to get his glucose levels under control. Also, if you have other cats, the diet change will benefit all of them.

Start reading the posts on this site, especially the links under the Health Links/FAQs. Ask any questions you may have. You have a lot of experience on this board and we are here to help you.

4. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hello Angela and Thursday, and a warm welcome to FDMB.

Gosh, it sounds like you're having quite a time of it.
    I've not experienced DKA in my own cat but there are others here who have been through that with their own kitties. It's a very frightening way to find out that your kitty has diabetes.

The FDMB forum is a great support group. People are very friendly. I hope you will soon feel at home here. :coffee:

Please ask any questions that you want to. We're here to help. (And when asking questions it's probably best to post on the main Health forum as you will get more responses that way.)

Big welcoming (((hug))) to you,

Eliz

5. TreeloverAng

TreeloverAng New Member

Thank you for your support! It has been relieving to find that others are and have learned to care for their diabetic fur balls.

Thursday is still in critical care. His DKA is not under control and today they had to install a gastronasal tube for feeding since he was not eating. I am trying to stay positive, but it is getting increasingly hard as his condition has barely improved in the last 48 hours.

Please keep us in your thoughts! <3

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

It is very tricky to manage DKA, as the electrolytes (mineral ions) that transport messages in the cells are in disarray and those must be brought carefully back to normal, along with the glucose levels, and nutrition. When a cat doesn't eat for 2 or more days, fat starts breaking down and this can overwhelm the liver. That is part of why they put in the NG tube so that calories would be going in rather than the fat breaking down.

KPassa likes this.
  7. Elizabeth and Bertie

Certainly will, Angela.
    Sending positive healing vibes to Thursday, and praying he will soon be back home with you.

Best wishes,

Eliz x

8. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Keeping you and Thursday in my prayers, Angela.

:bighug:

9. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Sending a megaton of healing vines and get better soon vines and increasing appetite vines to Thursday.

Angela, this is just so stressful for you, having your cat in the hospital fighting for his life. You will be in our prayers.

10. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

Tiger(GA) and Ruth Well-Known Member

Here are more healing vines and prayers for Thursday! :bighug:

11. TreeloverAng

TreeloverAng New Member

Thursday is a peace now. He died in my arms, knowing he was loved, after experiencing the sun on his face one last time.

I am devistated!

12. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

So sad. Sending purrs and prayers.

13. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

((Angela and Spirit Thursday))

I was so saddened to hear that Thursday has crossed over. My heart goes out to you.

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

14. Elizabeth and Bertie

Oh, Angela. My heart breaks for you...
    And I'm sure everyone here understands how you must be feeling...

I was so touched when I read about his "experiencing the sun on his face one last time".
    Even though Thursday is not with you, physically, I hope you will come to still feel his presence. And whenever you feel the sun on your face, think of it as his gift to you...

Wrapping you up in a huge hug,

Eliz x

15. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Oh no!!!!

My deepest condolences Angela on the loss of your beloved extra sweet kitty Thursday. You only joined the FDMB such a short time ago, but you were part of our family and we grieve with you.
    candle.jpg
    Lighting a ring of candles, in memory of your deeply loved kittyboy Thursday.

16. LynRich

LynRich Member

Angela, I am so sorry *HUGS* you must be terribly upset , I'm glad you were able to cuddle him when he passed away.

Critter Mom likes this.
  17. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

Tiger(GA) and Ruth Well-Known Member

Oh no, I am sorry your loss -Fly Free Sweet Little Thursday, you were loved so much! heartcandle.jpg :bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  18. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Requiem aeternum, Thursday.

{{hugs}}

19. Thaiger & Katie

Thaiger & Katie Member

I'm so sorry for your loss :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.