Tia wont eat wet food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Krista68, Nov 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krista68

Krista68 New Member

What is the best less expensive diabetic dry food for my cat to eat she won't touch wet food and never has

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I think that the few low-carb dry foods that exist are pretty expensive. They do not have all the cheap filler crap in the others, so you have to pay more. Young Again Zero (or Zero Mature, depending on your cat's age) is the lowest carb one available and is what I used during the transition for my cats. They had always had only dry food, so we did have a little bit of a struggle transitioning, but it is possible. I never would have thought it possible in the beginning, but they are now on 100% wet food.

3. Lillie

Lillie Member

I think Dr.Elsey's new food is low carb dry- I had an awful time transitioning my guy from dry to wet. He had always been a dry food addict, and probably still is. He never liked the consistency of a wet food- not even pureed people food. I found a single ingredient duck canned that he now eats and loves. I never thought it would be possible.

4. Susan&Felix(GA)

Susan&Felix(GA) Well-Known Member

I never thought Felix would eat wet food, either, and he still has to be particularly hungry to eat it, so we're still transitioning. I tried a lot of brands and flavors of canned foods trying to find any he'd eat, but the breakthrough came when I started sprinkling FortiFlora on it. It's not a product I feel great about, but it seems worth it to get him on canned; his insulin needs have been steadily coming down since he's started eating some canned each day.

For dry, he gets EVO, which is lower carb than many dry foods but I think not as low as Dr. Elsey's or Young again, and it's not inexpensive. I recently bought a small bag of Dr. Elsey's but Felix won't eat it, even though he's not usually picky about kibble. Two of my other cats do like the Dr. Elsey's, but they willingly eat wet food, so I won't be repurchasing once it's gone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.