? Tiger's Ride: PMPS 169, Then..PINK>PINK>PINK

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jacque- Tiger & Jazz Man, Apr 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jacque- Tiger & Jazz Man

Jacque- Tiger & Jazz Man Member

Previous Post thread
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/help-blue-shoot-or-not.228248/#post-2557986
    4/17: Please take a look see at his SS. Did a +5 just out of curiosity.
    YIKES!! Boy did he take a dive. Amps 510 5U Prozinc and 5 hrs. later 114. Gave him an early lunch, Friskies pate. I usually give him lunch at +6. His next reading was 1.5hrs later 144.
    Bouncing and bouncing, everytime he clears I adjust his insulin just by .5 then he starts bouncing again.
    He has now decided to go HI at Night now. Low during the Day. Makes no sense to me. The only thing different between Night and Day is he doesn't eat a "lunch" at the +6 at Night. Does this mean I have to get up at 6am to feed him lunch?

Deb & Wink likes this.
  2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Lets get this bumped to the top, shall we? ;)

3. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Do you have a timed feeder? That could work to get Tiger a meal at the +6 (am) time.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  4. Jacque- Tiger & Jazz Man

For canned food? Didn't know they made such a thing...I'm the timer lol. I give him about a cup of dry food to munch on if he wants it..thats usually empty by the time I get up. Plus as you know...a free feed all my other kids. Right now everyone(except for Tiger and Jazz Man) is eating Blue Buffalo Indoor. So, I can't stop him from sneaking more dry from the other bowls. Tiger and Jazz Man eat Blue Wilderness Kitten or Blue Buffalo Kitten.

5. Deb & Wink

Yes, timed feeders for canned food. Petsafe 5 is one feeder that I know about.

6. Jacque- Tiger & Jazz Man

For real?? I'm gonna take a look see right now.

7. Jacque- Tiger & Jazz Man

8. Jacque- Tiger & Jazz Man

Either way they are too expensive for us right now. Have to save every penny in case the Stay at Home order goes longer than expected in Illinois. I'd have to raise the funds or see if someone will buy it for Tiger.

9. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

LOTS of us here have used it and would disagree. It keeps a pretty good seal until it rotates to open so the food stays pretty fresh.

Another thing you can do to make it even fresher is to put cat-sicles into it. Mix canned food with water and freeze in an ice cube tray.

The Cat Mate 50 is about the same as the PetSafe 5....it has a place for ice packs in the bottom.

Watch for sales....I've seen the PetSafe for $24.95 every now and then.

10. Jacque- Tiger & Jazz Man

Tiger's Pre-shots were HIGH today:(. But you would never know he was HIGH. Acts fine.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    Reason for edit: added some more
  11. Jacque- Tiger & Jazz Man

Ya know what? I bought 2 different models of the water fountains..they both died within a month of use. Called them and they reimbursed me. So, not sure if I trust that their auto feeders will work and not do the same. Ya different technology water vs. food but once you lose my trust..hard to gain it back.

12. Jacque- Tiger & Jazz Man

I'm experimenting with his scripts. I usually give both of the meds to him around the AMPS +2.
    Today: Prednisolone at AMPS+1..then the Lasix at PMPS+1. See if there is some kind of rhyme or reason to this insanity.

13. Deb & Wink

Experimenting with the times of the meds shouldn't hurt Tiger.

14. Jacque- Tiger & Jazz Man

Grrr, you know what? I should have done the meds vice versa. Lasix causes fluid loss. Tiger doesn't seem to have a problem with excessive peeing or drinking, but with luck he will this time.
    I'll do the switch tomorrow, AMPS Lasix+1..then PMPS Pred +1

15. Jacque- Tiger & Jazz Man

Ride on Tiger's train if you dare!!
    Check out his SS

16. Jacque- Tiger & Jazz Man

I can guarantee that he will read into the 400 for his PMPS. :arghh::banghead::mad:

17. Deb & Wink

I never did like the roller coaster ride, at the carnival.

Pink Tiger! Put on your pink tutu, and prove Jacque wrong.
    pink tutu cat.png

18. Jacque- Tiger & Jazz Man

He used to like pink..and hated blue. Now he hates blue and pink. Likes black, red and yellow. I remember begging him to love the color yellow. If he can stay yellow during the cycles I will be a happy Mommy.

19. Jacque- Tiger & Jazz Man

Well well well PMPS 318 looking good Dude.

20. Jacque- Tiger & Jazz Man

Lookie Lookie..PINK PMPS 318, he almost stayed Yellow

21. Jacque- Tiger & Jazz Man

He made a liar outta me..but thats cool.

22. Shelley & Jess

Shelley & Jess Member

I had to 'play' with our Prednisolone dose/timing in the beginning too. Found that half in the AM and the other half in the PM @ +2's work(ed) well for Jess - gave the insulin a chance to start kicking in & seemed to reduce some of the more wild BG fluctuations by keeping a more steady level of Pred in her system.

She started at .5mg (2018). I had her at .3mg when she was diagnosed diabetic (July 2019). We're at .1ml now & working at getting her off it altogether. (fingers crossed):)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
  23. Jacque- Tiger & Jazz Man

I was thinking about half dosing the Pred too. But then I wouldn't be able to factor in the Lasix for a cause for his swings. It seems to me that the med's arent' really changing his bg readings. I'll stick with the current dosing for another cycle and see where he's at then. Jess looks great. Did you see Tiger's ss? yikes.

24. Jacque- Tiger & Jazz Man

I'm glad that Tiger is FINALLY getting more YELLOWS in the cycles

25. Deb & Wink

I think you want to increase the dose again. Try for 5.25U if you can.

Would like to see Tiger down "in the blues" 100-199 mg/dl (5.5-11.1 mmol/L) more. Not wearing shades like the Blues Brothers either.

26. Jacque- Tiger & Jazz Man

Do you think he is still BOUNCING????????????? What to do what to do!!!

27. Deb & Wink

No, I think the insulin dose is not quite enough. He needs a bit more "juice", at least a fat 5U.

28. Jacque- Tiger & Jazz Man

When In the past when he is BLUE he freaks and goes RED OR BLACK, same with the DARK GREEN.
    Everytime I adjust his dose..whether UP or DOWN he freaks out. He'll go HIGH again..but maybe he'll make a liar outta me again. I already gave him his 5U shot so it'll have to wait until tomorrow to try the 5.25. Remember he is backwards then other kids...seems to read HIGHER at night. Maybe its just my screwy schedule. Wish I could do a "normal schedule" like most people.

29. Jacque- Tiger & Jazz Man

I'll give him 5.25 tonight at Midnight(CST) cause I did a :facepalm:. If he goes HIGH at night then that would be the perfect time to give him the 5.25 DUH!!

30. Jacque- Tiger & Jazz Man

Ok 5.25 at Midnight Cool Cool

31. Shelley & Jess

Shelley & Jess Member

Wowzer - quite the colourful April Tiger has going on!!

All joking aside, looking at the big picture, you’ve made some pretty serious progress in a relatively short period time.

Considering where you started and where you are now I think you & Tiger are doing great!!

Go Tiger! Go! Work that juice & Give Mom a bit of Pretty Pink, some more of that Lovely Yellow & of course, the Beautiful Blues!! PLEEEEESE!!!

32. Jacque- Tiger & Jazz Man

Thank You soooo much for your words of encouragement. I'll let Tiger know too.

33. Jacque- Tiger & Jazz Man

I talked to Doc yesterday..to see if I have continue giving Tiger the Prednisolone. She said as long as he is breathing fine he doesn't need it. So no Pred last night at 2am. I wonder if the Pred was making his numbers go up or if just a coincidence..that today's numbers are pretty darn good for him. Tiger-s SS - Google Sheets 4-21-2020 9-52-22 PM.png

Deb & Wink likes this.
  34. Shelley & Jess

Shelley & Jess Member

LOL!! Jess & Tiger were on the same train!!! :cool:

35. jt and trouble (GA)

Pred will raise BG numbers watch Tiger closely...lol like you dont already:p;):coffee:

36. Jacque- Tiger & Jazz Man

:arghh:

Deb & Wink likes this.
  37. Jacque- Tiger & Jazz Man

MAN!!!!!! As soon as I go up on his dose he freaks out. Goes LOW(BLUE) to great readings..then goes HIGHER and gets stuck in PINK :arghh::banghead::confused:
    NOW WHAT??????
    LOL, but now he's off the Pred. Numbers are PINK. I'm going CRAZY. Not sure if the BLUES were from the NO PRED or because of the adjusted dose from 5 to 5.25.

38. Jacque- Tiger & Jazz Man

We've been on this train for far too long, I'm ready to stop at the station and get off. Somewhere nice and warm.

39. jt and trouble (GA)

be careful what you wish. Its going to be 89 here today:eek:

40. jt and trouble (GA)

How long has he been off the pred.? That might have something to do with it. The bottom line is, when you are starting a new med or stopping an old one, either can make numbers a little wonky. I cant give dosing advice but maybe just ride it out ? Hopefully an expert will see my name on here and get this more eyes. :p

Deb & Wink likes this.
  41. Jacque- Tiger & Jazz Man

Off Pred for 4 cycles

Deb & Wink likes this.
  42. Jacque- Tiger & Jazz Man

43. jt and trouble (GA)

Sigh wish I knew :(

Deb & Wink likes this.
  44. Jacque- Tiger & Jazz Man

Well, decided I'd stick with the 5.25 for now.

45. Shelley & Jess

Shelley & Jess Member

It looks like Tiger has been on Pred for about 2 months & I don't think that's considered true long term use - Keep a close eye on his BG - which you do anyway. :)

I can only speak for myself because ECID and our situations are different.

Reducing our Long Term (2 years) Pred dose changed our insulin needs. But we reduced slowly & tried to play safe with the insulin when Pred reductions were taken. With Jess it has taken a couple of days to see the full effect of reducing the Pred doses - until the “fake bounce” clears her system.

(The way I understand the effects of Prednisolone & take this with a grain of salt, but it’s the way it made sense to me in how I dealt with Jess & her diabetes - Pred stimulates the liver to release glucose (“fake bounce”) which in turn causes insulin resistance. You’ve got a bunch of excess glucose in the system with nowhere to go and with long term Pred use insulin resistance that you’ve got to bust through over and over again.)

46. Jacque- Tiger & Jazz Man

Thank You!! Great info!! This could possibly be what is going on with him too. Off the Pred for 4 complete cycles now. He was on a low dose 5mg once a day. And I agree not long term use but who knows right..ECID.
    Doc put him on the Pred to help him breath. Still on the Lasix..He had and has(small amount) of fluid in his chest cavity. It comes and goes, his heart is fine..x-ray showed a perfect sized heart.

47. Shelley & Jess

Shelley & Jess Member

Here's a good example - just took our +7 BG. Today was a Pred day/given at +2. Absolutely killed our nadir today :(

48. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Why would you be considering dropping to 5 anyway? Because of removing the Prednisilone?

I think you did the right think sticking with the 5.25

49. Jacque- Tiger & Jazz Man

Yes thats why I was thinking about it. But after reading @Shelley & Jess reply I stuck to the 5.25 to see what happens. Since it's only been 4 cycles off the Pred.

50. Deb & Wink

Good. Very late getting on to check on threads today. Staying at the 5.25U was what I would have suggested anyway. Like Chris already suggested.

p.s. Boy, got a lot of catching up to do. Thanks Jess, for the info on the pred. Didn't know that. Learn something new everyday. ;)

51. Shelley & Jess

Shelley & Jess Member

Oh dear - just my seriously simplified layman’s way of how I wrapped my head around her patterns & wanted to explain what I meant when I used the term fake bounce (which looks & behaves different than a real bounce for Jess)

52. Jacque- Tiger & Jazz Man

I totally love it..understood it completely.

53. Jacque- Tiger & Jazz Man

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.