Tiger is HUNGRY

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tiger and the squid, Jul 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiger and the squid

Tiger and the squid Member

So, prior to his diagnosis, we left out dry food for the kitties to graze all day, and fed them a can of wet food in the morning and in the evening (One can, split between the two cats at each meal time)

I'm obviously still very new to this whole thing, but the general consensus I see is DRY FOOD BAD WET FOOD GOOD. Which is fine, both of my cats love wet food, so there's no problem transitioning. They have gobbled up every thing I have put in front of them. I've even started putting a little warm water in with the food, to get even more water in to my babies.

The problem comes from in between meal times. I feed them around 7, but I am not home in the middle of the day to give a treat or a snack. Tiger woke us up at 620 this morning because "Hey guys, good morning, it is almost breakfast time, can I eat early?"

I don't necessarily want to leave out a second can of wet food, because I'm just nervous about anything being left out. I wouldn't eat a sandwich that had been sitting on the counter for five hours ... So what should I do?

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

If it is an air conditioned house, there is no problem with leaving wet food out. I feed my girls 4 times a day (every 6 hours), and the left overs remain out for them to graze on. A lot of people leave food out even longer than that. If you are that considered about it, you can freeze a portion and set it out in the morning.. it will thaw throughout the day, and they can eat from it. Or, you can put it in a feeder that allows for an ice pack to be put under it.

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

You could freeze a can before bed and in the morning and leave it out to gradually defrost. You could also use an auto pet feeder and either put an icepack under the dish or put an ice cube in it which would keep it fresh and add the extra water to it.

Personally I just leave extra out in the bowls. It's never been a problem.

4. Tiger and the squid

Freezing food over night is a good idea. I will try that tonight and see how he does tomorrow. I know my vet said I need to try to keep as close of a schedule as I can, and free feeding can make it trickier to monitor how much and when he's eating. But he's lost so much weight, I don't want to restrict him if I can avoid it.

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

If you get an automatic feeder you can have it close two hours before preshot testing time.

6. Tiger and the squid

Typically, my husband is home early enough to pick the extra food up, but I'll definitely take a look in to auto feeders

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.